Keep fertilizer in pot plants and just put moss or change to organic soil?

stasisb5a4

Question in title* It kind of smells in my exo terra 18x18x24, should I just change it out or it's ok for my cham, because I have moss covering it so he doesn't go in there.

Question in title* It kind of smells in my exo terra 18x18x24, should I just change it out or it's ok for my cham, because I have moss covering it so he doesn't go in there.

Im not completely clear on what it is you are asking? Are you asking if you should change out the soil in your pot plants that are in your chameleon cage or put moss on top instead?

(Are you sure putting pot plants in with your chameleon is a good idea?)

The moss thing is a good idea! I have large rocks on mine, but he still gets around it every once in a while. I use fine organic soil, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm not sure if you're asking to change out your soil because it smells? He maybe using one plant as a bathroom, or all! I know mine uses all of my plants equally, but I don't have any problems with smell yet. If it is the soil, I would just change it out to make it clean IMO I take all my plants out once a week and rinse them and water them good if they aren't getting it from the mist king, and I always find Loki's waste and clean it out, and that seems to take care of it

The moss thing is a good idea! I have large rocks on mine, but he still gets around it every once in a while. I use fine organic soil, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm not sure if you're asking to change out your soil because it smells? He maybe using one plant as a bathroom, or all! I know mine uses all of my plants equally, but I don't have any problems with smell yet. If it is the soil, I would just change it out to make it clean IMO I take all my plants out once a week and rinse them and water them good if they aren't getting it from the mist king, and I always find Loki's waste and clean it out, and that seems to take care of it

My only concern with moss on the top is the potential for them eating it. Perhaps that is not a danger (I suppose it depends on the type of moss too, I would be less worried about carpet moss and more worried about sphagnum).

My only concern with moss on the top is the potential for them eating it. Perhaps that is not a danger (I suppose it depends on the type of moss too, I would be less worried about carpet moss and more worried about sphagnum).

That's true...Loki would eat it lol when he was a baby he was always chewing on his branches and he still eats dirt every once in a while lol I'm surprised he hasn't munched on his plants in his cage yet:rolleyes:

What I meant was that, should I keep the soil/fertilizer that's in the potted plants that I recently bought and just add sphagnum moss on top of the soil or should I just change out all the soil and use organic soil instead. I'm asking because it smells like fertilizer/manure in my glass enclosure. It is ok for them with the smell?

You may have sitting water in your soil making it stink. I use a little bit of fertilizer soil and I put rocks on the bottom of the pots to help drain the water then cover with soil and rocks on top so there is no access to the soil and my plants don't stink anymore.
But yes you need to cover that soil if its got fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom