Kami the Senegal Chameleon

serenitystarlite

Established Member
Hi again everyone! So this is my post for Kami, my Senegal. I'm including this information from the "how to ask for help" forum because I need help and I have lots of noob questions :D

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Bottom half is glass, top half is screen. The entire cage measures 12x24x36. I plan to build her a bigger all-screen cage. What size would be recommended for an adult senegal? I was thinking 24x24x48. If this is a good size for the cage itself, how much should I raise it off the ground?
* Lighting - She has a 5.0 repti-sun linear uvb light and a 60 watt Zoo Med daylight blue. Her lights are on a timer that comes on at sunrise and goes off at sunset (around 8am-8pm I think). I started off with a 10.0 coil bulb because that's what the guy at the petstore who supposedly breeds chameleons told me to buy, but after seeing all the warnings about the coil bulbss, I ditched it and bought her a linear bulb.
* Temperature - Cage floor is anywhere from 75-85 degrees (it's always hot in my room) and the basking spot is 90 degrees under the light. At night so far it hasn't gone below 70 in here. I have a thermometer stuck to the back of the cage about halfway up and another one that I can place anywhere.
* Humidity - Anywhere between 60% and 80% depending on when I last misted. I mist her cage a few times a day and there is a dripper. I have a humidity gage stuck to the back of the cage.
* Plants - There are mostly fake plants in the cage but I just recently added a live habiscus. I also have a pothos that I would like to add but I need to repot it.
* Placement - The cage is in my room which is generally low traffic and quiet. Top of the cage is about 4 1/2 ft off the ground. The only thing that concerns me is that I have 2 cats and one likes to sit near the cage. They don't jump up or mess with the cage in anyway, but I've seen Kami eying them suspiciously when they come into the room. She does have a lot of things she can hide behind in her cage and never turns colors or puffs/hisses, just gives them the evil eye. When I build a bigger cage, I plan to somehow block them from her vision with plants and vines. Any suggestions besides lining the sides of the cage with vines?
* Location - Pittsburgh, PA

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Senegal Chameleon, I think she's female (am I right?). I've had her since June and I'm not sure how old she is, but she's about 10 inches long. I think she was 9 inches when I brought her home. Anyone know how long it takes Senegals to become full grown? Then I'll know how old she is when she stops growing :D
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don't handle her much, but she likes to climb on me if I reach into her cage, so sometimes she hangs out on my shoulder. Not often though, just here and there because I don't want to stress her out :p
* Feeding - She eats between 7 and 10 large crickets everyday. I'm using Fluker's Cricket Quencher with calcium and Zilla Gut Load for the crickets. When I have leftover fruit or vegetables, I toss that into the cricket cage too.
* Supplements - I am using Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 and Herpivite. I was dusting everyday with the calcium and a couple times a week with the Herpivite, but after reading a dozen different things on when and how to dust crickets, I am now completely confused and unsure of how much to dust and how often. Help! :eek:
* Watering - I mist her cage several times a day and I have a Little Dripper. She drinks from the spray bottle, so I see her drink at least once a day. I try to offer her water several times a day so sometimes I see her drink more than once and occasionally I'll see her she drinking the water from the plants after I mist.
* Fecal Description - Fecal looks to be normal compared to pictures I've seen and what I remember from my first chameleon. It's mostly brown with a little whitish-yellow. She has not been tested for parasites. My cats are due for a vet appt and I have vacation from work coming up, so I was going to try to find a vet that can see both (or at least do a fecal test for Kami). So far the vets I've called only see cats and dogs. There's another local petstore here that sells only reptiles and birds, so I can ask them where they take their reptiles.
* History - The people at the petstore that I bought her from first told me that she was from a breeder and was not wild caught. But then when I talked to their "chameleon expert" and told him that no one breeds Senegals, he agreed that she was probably wild caught.
* Current Problem - No major problems as of yet, just many questions on everything I'm doing so far :confused: She seems to have a bad toe where it looks like either the skin never came off the toe and constricted it, or maybe someone pulled her toe or she got it caught somewhere. I put a little bit of neosporin on it a couple times, but it has stayed the same. She does seem to use the toe because I've seen 3 little pinch marks from that foot after she climbs on me. You can kind of see the toe in some of the pictures below. I'll try to post more when I can take some.

So here she is:

l_d4f40ce01a394acebc0dd02288c30cf9.jpg

l_3bfdb7a6368f483b98e0efc8715bbc99.jpg

l_72e3e43ab4734d35a9dfd74b5e50e3dc.jpg

l_999b34527cc5420390c83ed039d85b0b.jpg

l_c986e4b445014fa6a9efb4a109fc503c.jpg

This is her current setup that I built (I don't use that light anymore):

l_925fd6ea2a11484b8631954f27ffa7fe.jpg

l_67dce4008e1742ec9cdcdcf62593ef64.jpg

l_6e3d08c315c4426b90c412bc1dd46b62.jpg

l_aba8042b6ca946a1b2a432c763869a07.jpg

just hangin out!

l_d3812e7c9ffa40cebb6f79d0ea3bfcb5.jpg

Kami is adorable! I know we have a few Senegal owners on here. Hopefully they will see your post and go over your stats.

Wow, she has a fancy top there. Did you do that artwork?

I would take out the fake grass, it is just a bacteria nightmare waiting to happen. You can put down papertowels for easier clean up.

So what is the dish for? To catch water from the dripper?

I only kept this species for a short while, but I believe she is too exposed.
I would add a lot more live foliage, including tall grasses. They really like to hide and feel safer in a more heavily planted environment.
I wouldn't skimp on her food for awhile ... she's a bit skinny.
Looks good tho!

-Brad

I bought the trim at Home Depot! I wasn't planning to get that fancy, but I thought the leaves were great for her cage. So when I make the bigger cage, I'll use that same trim for the outside. Thanks! :)

The dish is no longer in there, it was catching water from the dripper but it's too small and overflowed a couple times, so now there is a plant saucer and the habiscus under the dripper. I hate the carpet thing, I end up cleaning it all the time. So I will definitely not have anything like that in her new cage. I was looking at some of the design's people posted but I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do for the bottom yet.

I only kept this species for a short while, but I believe she is too exposed.
I would add a lot more live foliage, including tall grasses. They really like to hide and feel safer in a more heavily planted environment.
I wouldn't skimp on her food for awhile ... she's a bit skinny.
Looks good tho!

-Brad

Yeah, that pic was pretty much right after I built the top but there is a bit more in there now including the habiscus. I have a ton of fake plants, so I can definitely add more, especially to hide those perky kitties from her view. She was skinnier when I first got her, but she does still seem pretty skinny even though she eats like a horse. I can try to offer her more food and see if she wants more later on in the day.

I have a Senegel and it was my 1st cham. They are hard to sex, but yours seems to be nice size. I think it is a male based on the size. Mine is smaller. You are very lucky that it can eat 7 to 10 crickets a day. Mine is very picky. It gets bored of crickets, but I think that is my fault because I introduced it to flies. Senegels LOVE flies. Put one in there and you'll be amazed how far they shoot their tongue. They love the buzzing sound of the flies. Mine will eat superworms also. I don't think Senegels will eat Silk worms as I have tried and no go and others have said the same thing. You definitely do want to get rid of the bottom grass. They poop like crazy and it is very hard to clean up. best is to have a clear bottom and wipe it as much as you can with tissues every day. Especially since you are feeding so many crickets a day. Mine doesn't eat so much and she still craps everyday. Yours can eat large 1" crickets? If it looks difficult for him to eat I would go to a smaller size. Yours is probably full grown by now.

You definitely do not need a 24 x 24 x 48 cage. That is too big for a tiny chameleon. Harder for him to free range for food. I think what you have is fine. I have mine in a 16 x 16 x 30. The largest I would go to is a 18 x 18 x 36. The blue light is not really needed. I would use the Zoo Med 50 watt basking bulb as it has some UVB. Everything besides the grass on the bottom is adequate. Seems like your doing a great job.

Oh yeah don't dust everyday with the D3. Get calcium with no D3. Use that everyday. Use the D3 stuff once or twice a month and use the multivit once a month. Your gonna OD him on D3

Pretty sure you have a female.
Males of the species are smaller and I can't see a hemipenal bulge.

-Brad

You said..."Supplements - I am using Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 and Herpivite. I was dusting everyday with the calcium and a couple times a week with the Herpivite, but after reading a dozen different things on when and how to dust crickets, I am now completely confused and unsure of how much to dust and how often. Help! "...I use the Herptivite twice a month and the Rep-cal calcium/D3 twice a month lightly and Rep-cal phos.-free calcium at most feedings. I have kept quite a few Senegals over the last 20+ years of chameleon keeping...and they can be kept basically like veileds. They do need to be well-watered though.

Can't see the toe clearly enough to know if its a problem or not.

Besides jadeaudio, what size cage did others keep their senegals in? I'm going to buy materials tomorrow and build her new improved cage this weekend :D

Back
Top Bottom