Kam is sick again :(

serenitystarlite

Established Member
Current Problem - Kami hasn't been eating much for the past couple weeks and has been losing weight. She went from 65g down to 42g. She is really skinny and eyes are a little sunken. She barely ate anything on her own last week.

I started to get really worried that she wasn't eating, so I have been forcing her to eat crickets for the past couple days. She eats some of them and spits some of them out. I also mixed chicken baby food with some water and a tiny bit of pediatyle and offered that to her. She drinks normally and seems to like this.

Yesterday and today she's been closing her eyes during the day and lethargic. Over the weekend, it looked like she was bleeding a little when she pooped. Her grip is normal. She's been showing stress colors.

I have a vet visit scheduled for Thursday morning. I'm going to have her tested for parasites again. What else should I tell the vet? Should I tell them to look for anything specifically? I'm taking her to a different vet because I don't feel like the one she saw last time knows what he's doing and is very overpriced. If she doesn't have parasites, could it be kidney failure from all the Baytril she was on? I don't think there are any vets around here that know what they're doing, so it would probably be helpful for me to go in with some options in mind of what might be wrong with her for them to explore. If I get blood work done, what should I tell them to test for? My other thought is that she's old and maybe it's just her time :(

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female Senegal Chameleon, I've had her since last June. She was wild-caught and full grown when I got her, so I have no idea how old she is.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Very rarely, just lately to feed her. Before that, I was checking her mouth a few times a month to make sure her infection didn't come back.
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Mostly crickets with a roach here and there, but she hasn't been eating. Crickets are gutloaded with kale, pears, collard greeds, carrots, Zilla Gutload, and Fluker's Cricket quencher with calcium. She used to eat 4-5 crickets a day on her own but hasn't eaten on her own in about a week. Last week she barely ate any, maybe 4-5 during the whole week.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoomed calcium without d3 every feeding, Rep-cal with d3 once a month, and Rep-cal Herptivite once a month.
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist several times a day and she has a dripper. She drinks out of the squirt bottle and I see her drink everyday. She drinks a lot.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? What little poop I've seen looks normal, but there hasn't been a lot of it. She did poop today and it looks normal but I don't think the crickets are completely digested. Urates are actually white. She was tested for parasites back in October and had none.
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. She was sick with a bacterial infection last year and had to take 2 courses of Baytril to clear it up because the first one wasn't strong enough. The infection was in her mouth. I've been checking inside her mouth once or twice a month and the infection hasn't come back. I think what she might be completely different.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x5ft screen cage
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 18in Repti-sun 10.0 linear bulb
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is 85F degrees and the rest of the cage is 70-75F. At night it goes down to about 68F. I have a digital thermometer.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity is 50-75%. I have a humidifier and I mist several times a day. I use a digital hygrometer to measure.
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 1 corn plant and 2 pothos
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in my room, very low traffic. Not near the vent or windows. Top of the cage is 5ft.
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Pittsburgh, Pa

Here's a picture I just took of her:

attachment.php

Attachments

• kamisick.jpg
    kamisick.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 426
Poor thing. Senegal Chameleons are easy to take care of but a pain if they are wc due to them having lots of Parasites from the wild. If its bleeding poop it definitely sounds like a parasite. Just tell the Vet everything you told us on here. And about the bleeding. Keep us posted!!

I wouldn't assume this is due to parasites. If she's been through parasite treatment before that may not be what's going on. Bloodwork might show kidney damage...possibly compounded by the Baytril. I don't know if they can analyze the source of the fecal blood...intestinal or kidney.

Here's hoping she does OK. You obviously really care about her which is great to hear!

I don't know what she was treated with originally. I just know that when she was tested for parasites at the last vet visit, they said she didn't have anything. But couldn't this be a parasite that she got recently from a feeder?

Sure, some parasites are present in most feeders normally, but they don't necessarily cause bleeding or a decrease in appetite (usually a drop in weight despite eating well is a sign).

Oh, I was told that those were 2 symptoms of parasites, including what it says on the bottle of dewormer that my friend has. :confused:

Can I ask a question? When you say "it looked like she was bleeding a little when she pooped" did you see liquid blood? Or, did you see red? Also, was this the first time you'd watched her poop?

It looked like she was straining and then she wiped her bum on the branch and there was a drop of blood that came out. I've seen her poop in the past and it was never like this. I noticed a couple other places in her cage where it looks like she might have wiped blood on branches or leaves but the poop itself doesn't look bloody.

She's about the same. She pooped a little right when I got home and there was no blood. I'm hoping it's enough for a fecal test. I made her eat 4 crickets this morning. She kept trying to spit them out but I told her she has to eat so the doctor can look at her poop :(

Update: I took Kami to the vet. This vet actually seems like she knows a little bit more than the last one and the entire visit cost me under $100. Pretty sure the other vet would've charged close to twice as much. So anyway, they did a fecal but didn't find anything because there was barely anything to test. The vet thinks she has parasites anyway, so she gave Kami a dose of Panacur for that and Metronidazole Benzoate for the bleeding. I'm going to wait a few weeks and then take a better fecal sample to get tested when she actually goes more than just a tiny bit. If she doesn't improve and start eating on her own, I really have no idea what to do :(

sorry to hear

Going to the vet is definatly the best choice at this point but i dont have to tell you that. As far as bloodwork goes im sure your vet, like mine will know what levels to check. Ive been having problems with my panther cham, he is actually on a round of antibiotics currently i need to inject every 72 hours. When i brought him in, his phosphorus levels were a bit high, which i found out at the time of the apt. He was given fluids, one round of antibiotic injection, and a food power supplement (he was not eating much either). His White blood count came back almost a week later, it was high, hence why he is on the antibiotics now. But after his initial trip and what they did for him, plus the food i had to give him perked him up a lot. i know he still has some kind of infection due to his white cell count, but the lethargy, sunken/closed eyes and lack of appetite are no longer a problem,

Think about when we are sick, we need to keep nourished so we have the strength to get better, at the least i would look into getting that type of powder food(you'll mix it with water and syringe into mouth) so your cham has the energy to fight this thing off..good luck

I know she got treatment for her nose...but I don't remember what was done. Was the area cleaned out and flushed? Was a culture and sensitivity test done?

I know she got treatment for her nose...but I don't remember what was done. Was the area cleaned out and flushed? Was a culture and sensitivity test done?

The first time I took her to the vet, there was only a bump and couldn't see anything to clean out. So they prescribed Baytril. She was on it for 2 weeks with no improvement and then her nose/mouth got worse. I could see yellow stuff in her mouth then, so I took her back to the 2nd vet at that office who said the 1st vet weighed her wrong and gave her too low of a dose. So then she was on a higher dose for 3 weeks. He did a fecal test then and said he didn't see anything, but I really wonder if he knew what he was doing. He didn't seem like he knew anything about chameleons. I didn't have any other tests done. That was in September/October. Her mouth infection cleared up and she's been fine up until recently.

I think i noticed her eating less after the power went out for 12 hours a few weeks ago. I remember her not eating much after that and thinking it was because she was stressed from being cold. The vet I saw today said she didn't think it was an infection, cancer, or an impaction. I told her that the power went out when we had the big snow storm and she said that could have compromised Kami's immune system.

I'm supposed to give her another dose of both medicines in 2 weeks. So I was going to get a decent fecal test done sometime after that. If she doesn't start eating on her own soon, then I'll take her back to the vet for more tests. I just don't know what to tell them to test for.

update on Kami

Update: KAMI ATE ON HER OWN TODAY! She's been doing a lot better lately. I gave her the 2nd dose of her medicine last Thurs. She hasn't been closing her eyes during the day anymore and wasn't spitting out the crickets like she was before when I was force-feeding her. She's been showing more of an interest in food, but I was still having to force-feed her. She would look at crickets like she was interested, but then wouldn't eat them. Finally today, she went after them on her own! Her poop even looks better than it was looking. I'm so happy for my girl :D

That is great news Jessi, I hope she continues to rapidly recover. Maybe you could order her some hornworms or silkies, they are soft and easy to digest and do wonders.

Thanks! I had some hornworms, but she has always refused to eat them. Weird huh? My other chams will practically leap across their cages to get to the hornworms lol. I did feed her some waxworms last week and she seemed to like them, she didn't try to spit them out like she was doing with half of the crickets I was feeding her. I'm really trying to get some weight back on her, so I may keep giving her a few waxworms and babyfood in addition to the crickets. I would feed her a pinky, but I'm pretty sure she won't eat one.

Back
Top Bottom