Juvenile Feeding Question

Masterplan

My juvenile panther (hatched 9/14/23) has a robust appetite and easily eating 20+ 1/4" crickets each day by noon (gut loaded crickets are added each morning). Do I give him a second feeding and let him eat to his heart's content or cut it off? I figure throwing 10 more in the early afternoon can't hurt. Let me know if I am on the right track. He's very active, very alert, and an all around good dude.

Here he is when he got home last week. He is growing and about 25% larger now. His resting colors tend lighter and more turquoise.

Attachments

• tempImageP9M7Id.png
    tempImageP9M7Id.png
    886.3 KB · Views: 17
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Panther-Chameleon-Care-Guide-2023.pdf
this is a great source to use… since he is growing you really can feed him until he doesn’t want to eat. Thanks so much for sharing a picture of him. He is a great looking Cham, does he have a name?
His name is "Goose" and came from Kammerflage Creations (who are simply awesome). Thank you for the link. I have listened to most of Bill Strand's podcasts which have been super helpful. I will go ahead add a few more to the morning feeding cup and he can go nuts! Thanks~

Goose…great name 😁. I got my guy from Kammerflage three years ago. Completely agree they are awesome, have stunning looking chams all around. Glad you listened to chameleon academy podcast, that is how I ended up here. Such a great resource and wealth of knowledge he is. His passion and love for chameleons is top notch.

Oh my goodness he is darling!!!! At this age I think the more you can feed him the better. Just make sure you remove all uneaten bugs at the end of the day and destroy them.

Not my thread, but why do you destroy the bugs at the end of the day? Just curious :)
Great question! If a bug gets out of the feeder run for example, walks across some poop and then you take it out and feed it to your chameleon the next day you are potentially reinfecting your chameleon with that bug.

My panther was in previous home before I had him and they were doing this. I’m certain that’s part of the reason why he had such a high parasite load when I got him.

Luckily, my daughter has a bearded dragon, so he’s been getting the leftovers (from the feeding cup). The escapees have been getting caught in the puddle at the bottom of the cage (RIP) and cleaned up at bedtime. Cage floor is dry and crickets are all gone at bedtime. But, agree to not put the uneaten ones back in the garage “cricket castle.“

Luckily, my daughter has a bearded dragon, so he’s been getting the leftovers (from the feeding cup). The escapees have been getting caught in the puddle at the bottom of the cage (RIP) and cleaned up at bedtime. Cage floor is dry and crickets are all gone at bedtime. But, agree to not put the uneaten ones back in the garage “cricket castle.“
Hello! I wouldn’t feed them to your beardie either unfortunately. If you have any parasites in your chams enclosure you could transport them to your beardie.

Back
Top Bottom