Juvenile chameleon too fat?

Hi I have a 5 month old vielded cham and i wanted to see if he looked too fat to any of you guys I feed him in the morning 30min-hour after lights go on and in the afternoon 3-4 hours before lights go out I feed him super worms, Dubias, crickets, hornworms, I feed him about 10-16 insects everyday but hornworms not that much I was told not to skip feedings cuz they are still growing and I understand that and wanted to see if it’s normal for him to be this big and he will get slim when he matures?

Attachments

• BCAE14AE-5882-4E72-B4A3-5F116682A8F8.jpeg
    BCAE14AE-5882-4E72-B4A3-5F116682A8F8.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 112
Best way to fill out is to copy and paste.
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You are going to need to prepare a lay bin for when she is ready to lay her eggs. Is usually best to keep one as a permanent part of the enclosure so you don’t have to guess when needed. Having correct husbandry is very important to ensure she has no problems laying, so I suggest filling out the form provided so someone can review it and give you feedback.

It looks like you have a beautiful female and not a male. Looks to be around 6 months or older IMO. I would suggest filling out the help questionnaire. Females have different needs because they lay infertile eggs like chicken.
It looks like you have a beautiful female and not a male. Looks to be around 6 months or older IMO. I would suggest filling out the help questionnaire. Females have different needs because they lay infertile eggs like chicken.
I had a feeling it was female this past 2 weeks cuz I got another vielded about 2-3 months and they told me it’s a female but the crown looks pretty big

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - female 6 months
  • Handling - Never

• Supplements -calcium without D3 everyday calcium with D3 and reptivite once a month
  • Watering - mist 2-3 times a day for 4min
  • Fecal Description - white and brown

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage it’s long but not tall I know I need a tall one
  • Lighting - t8 reptisun 10.0 linear 75 watt basking 12 hour cycle
  • Temperature - The basking is in the mid 80s and the Rest of the cage is high 70s
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50% it stays like that by it self and when I mist it’ll spike to like 65%
  • Plants - no live plants want to get some
  • Location - Albuquerque New Mexico

Thought my male was fat but turns out it’s a female with infertile eggs

Please Note
I’ve had her for 2 months and she has always been active but now that I know she is female will I have to make sure that if she stay at the bottom of cage she is ready and I will add that laying bin ASAP

Putting my feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - Never You’ll need to start building trust with her. Hand feeding is a good way to do this. It takes time.

• Supplements -calcium without D3 everyday calcium with D3 and reptivite once a month Does your reptivite have D3 in it or no? Both D3 and multivitamin need to be given twice a month or each given once every other week.
  • Watering - mist 2-3 times a day for 4min Good
  • Fecal Description - white and brown It’s always suggested to have a fecal checked for parasites.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage it’s long but not tall I know I need a tall one Minimum size for adult is 2x2x4’ or equivalent.
  • Lighting - t8 reptisun 10.0 linear 75 watt basking 12 hour cycle A T5HO with a 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) is recommended.
  • Temperature - The basking is in the mid 80s and the Rest of the cage is high 70s For females you want the basking temp to be around 80*. More on that later.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50% it stays like that by it self and when I mist it’ll spike to like 65% Not bad. Ideal humidity is 30-50% during the day.
  • Plants - no live plants want to get some Yes! Pothos is a favorite and is safe. Veileds like to nibble their plants. Wandering Jew, dracaena, umbrella tree are also good.

Please Note
I’ve had her for 2 months and she has always been active but now that I know she is female will I have to make sure that if she stay at the bottom of cage she is ready and I will add that laying bin ASAP
Egg laying takes a lot out of them and shortens their lives. You’ll want to try to reduce the frequency and/or clutch size by feeding less and keeping the basking temps cooler. Start reducing her feedings to every other day about 4-5 med sized feeders. After her first egg laying, she’ll be mature enough that you want to be feeding her only 3 times a week about 3-4 med sized feeders. This is a great article that may help explain it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - Never You’ll need to start building trust with her. Hand feeding is a good way to do this. It takes time.

• Supplements -calcium without D3 everyday calcium with D3 and reptivite once a month Does your reptivite have D3 in it or no? Both D3 and multivitamin need to be given twice a month or each given once every other week.
  • Fecal Description - white and brown It’s always suggested to have a fecal checked for parasites.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage it’s long but not tall I know I need a tall one Minimum size for adult is 2x2x4’ or equivalent.
  • Lighting - t8 reptisun 10.0 linear 75 watt basking 12 hour cycle A T5HO with a 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) is recommended.
  • Temperature - The basking is in the mid 80s and the Rest of the cage is high 70s For females you want the basking temp to be around 80*. More on that later.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50% it stays like that by it self and when I mist it’ll spike to like 65% Not bad. Ideal humidity is 30-50% during the day.
  • Plants - no live plants want to get some Yes! Pothos is a favorite and is safe. Veileds like to nibble their plants. Wandering Jew, dracaena, umbrella tree are also good.

Please Note
Egg laying takes a lot out of them and shortens their lives. You’ll want to try to reduce the frequency and/or clutch size by feeding less and keeping the basking temps cooler. Start reducing her feedings to every other day about 4-5 med sized feeders. After her first egg laying, she’ll be mature enough that you want to be feeding her only 3 times a week about 3-4 med sized feeders. This is a great article that may help explain it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
So I fed her today so skip tomorrow then on Friday feed her twice a day or once then repeat

Edit: I should only skip feedings to keep her from having big clutch

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Please Note
Thanks! I went to bed lol

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Please Note
I added the laying bin but now I just see her keep going on bottom of cage and trying to get out I keep basking light off and put a sheet over her cage is there need to put sheet so she don’t see me and possibly other Chameleons across the room also how long will it take till she lays them ?

Back
Top Bottom