Juvenile chameleon too fat?

Thank you everyone who helped me? I am a 17 yr old and I have recently started taking care of chameleons because I just love the sight of them and all the cool stuff they can do I am still learning a lot!!
Can relate I am 13 two years ago I saw a chameleon at a reptile shop and that was it I read and read and read most of the info and what I had was wrong then I found the forums and here I am 2 years later at 13 years old with 3 (maybe 4 in half a year) chameleons.

I have to say a lot of it is my parents because of course they are responsible for them but I told them what they had to do and they were on board.

I added the laying bin but now I just see her keep going on bottom of cage and trying to get out I keep basking light off and put a sheet over her cage is there need to put sheet so she don’t see me and possibly other Chameleons across the room also how long will it take till she lays them ?
You should not cover the top of the cage. Just the front... Keeping the same schedule on lighting. No changes just putting the sheet on the front only.

You should not cover the top of the cage. Just the front... Keeping the same schedule on lighting. No changes just putting the sheet on the front only.
What if I reduce the heat so she don’t have a big clutch because there infertile or I can still basking on?

Can relate I am 13 two years ago I saw a chameleon at a reptile shop and that was it I read and read and read most of the info and what I had was wrong then I found the forums and here I am 2 years later at 13 years old with 3 (maybe 4 in half a year) chameleons.

I have to say a lot of it is my parents because of course they are responsible for them but I told them what they had to do and they were on board.

Damn that’s really cool

What if I reduce the heat so she don’t have a big clutch because there infertile or I can still basking on?
huh.... Yes, with females temps should be 79-80 MAX all the time. this and reduced feedings of 3-4 small feeders 3 days a week by the time they are 10 months old helps control clutch size. But it is not like instant results. This has to be all the time to produce smaller clutches.

So you do not cover the top of the cage ever...

I added the laying bin but now I just see her keep going on bottom of cage and trying to get out I keep basking light off and put a sheet over her cage is there need to put sheet so she don’t see me and possibly other Chameleons across the room also how long will it take till she lays them ?
Keep her uncovered until you see that she has started digging. Then discretely cover the visible parts of her enclosure so she can’t see you...make sure she still has some ventilation. I always have little peek holes so I can monitor that she’s ok. Some will dig multiple ‘test’ holes until they are satisfied with one. The laying process can take usually about a day to day & 1/2. She may sleep in her tunnel. You’ll know she’s finished when her hole has been covered and she’s back in her usual basking spot looking thinner and dirty. Then feed and hydrate her well for a few days and then start her new diet.

huh.... Yes, with females temps should be 79-80 MAX all the time. this and reduced feedings of 3-4 small feeders 3 days a week by the time they are 10 months old helps control clutch size. But it is not like instant results. This has to be all the time to produce smaller clutches.

So you do not cover the top of the cage ever...
Ok thank you

Back
Top Bottom