Just saw Rango

javsto

It was one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time, well at least since Toy Story 3 was in theatres. But did anyone else notice that he, rango, didnt have the crest of spines that goes down his back and underbody from the nose to tail? Also what happened to his rear leg spurs??? I think either he's a tranny or should be named Rangette. Also no independent eye movements. I dont know, maybe some one should point that out to dreamworks studio's about these "little" mistakes....:eek:

It looks cute. This is going to be a bad thing for the reptile world. All those little kids demanding chameleons as pets...........sigh.

I dont have any kids and i saw it last night in a virtually empty theatre so no screaming, crying, talking through the entire movie annoying brats. But in anycase the only part of the movie that i didnt like was the first 5-10 minutes but once the action of the hawk/frog cursing started i really liked the movie. The level of detail from ILM is amazing and one beautiful movie.

i didnt think that it was the greatest movie, and i did notice that he did not compleatly resemble a chameleon, ( as we cham owners know him to be )whitch would help with the spontainious pet problem, but then i did a google search " what type or reptile is Rango" and it came back with chameleon, so know i worry that even people who did not realize he was a cham will do a search and then its a problem again.
all we can do is spread the good word and hope we end up with more new keepers that learn and become a member of the caring cham community.

hoj

I took my kids on Sunday and thought it was a great movie.Very original in its concepts as far as a "cartoon" is concerned.Loved the whole western theme going.My ten yr old thought it was great as well.
With the whole cast of ugly characters I cant see many people coming away from that movie wanting to get a pet.It wasnt exactly a hello kitty, cuddly bunny movie.Plus they pushed the whole "lonely caged pet" thing throughout so if anything I would think it would make people more sympathic toward "not" wanting to keep one.
BTW if you wait a week and that Easter bunny movie comes out everyone will want a bunny instead.

I would have enjoyed it more if the kid behind me hadnt kicked the back of my chair through the whole movie:rolleyes:

Now if they would hurry up and get the last Harry Potter movie out.Thats the one we are waiting for.

This is going to be a bad thing for the reptile world. All those little kids demanding chameleons as pets...........sigh.

It's a two-edged sword.

What you are saying is true from a certain viewpoint.

From another viewpoint it may trigger many life-long interests and passions for our hobby. Some kid who has his interest perked and is begging for his first lizard right now because of that movie may go on to be the first to breed, discover, or conserve a rare species of lizard someday.

I mean 30 years ago I was the only kid I knew who cared about/kept lizards.
I had 2 or 3 books.
I had to use bird multivitamins because there were no reptile vitamins available to me.
Vita-lite was the only lizard light.
The books I had all said specifics of breeding lizards was too difficult for captivity.
They all said chameleons were impossible to keep.

Nothing else was available to me.

Having more people interested over time has been a good thing-

Now there are many minds solving husbandry difficulties, making chameleon keeping and breeding possible.

There are lizard-specific lighting solutions in the market place.
There are reptile-vitamin supplements.
There is a library of books and internet resources.

More people interested has brought more money into the industry and that has been a good thing overall...

give it a few weeks until that easter bunny rabbit vs easter chick movie comes out and all interest in slimey yuccky reptiles will be yesterdays news.

guys... it's a cartoon/computer animated movie lol. Most movies do not perfectly represent the animals they draw in them. I'm sure they studied the way the animal looks but probably decided to alter it a little bit for who knows what reason.

yea but its fun to point out the obvious mistakes or missing facts. Havent you ever seen some sort of movie and thought to yourself " hey thats not possible" or " there is noway in the world that _____ can do that....".

Not all chameleons have dorsal and ventral crests and tarsal spurs. In fact not all chameleons are the ubiquitous calyptratus. ;) I thought he was more of a Chamaeleo chameleon.

I thought the movie was good. Best animated movie ever? Naw, but it was a fun way to spend a few hours. After seeing the preview last fall I knew it wasn’t going to be a feel good Finding Nemo or Toy Story and the movie delivered a fun, dreamlike escapade. The director paid homage to a lot of other good films, art and books and the Hunter S. Thompson reference(s) were particularly amusing.

I think I'm going spend the day making nifty Hawaiian shirts for the cristatus.

Glad to hear the good reviews about how the children rated it and what they thought about the movie. i am thinking of naming my Panther "Rango” lol, My girls are going with their friends Sunday afternoon to see it since the baby is not going to sit through a movie (14 month old) its not going to work out !!!

Not all chameleons have dorsal and ventral crests and tarsal spurs. In fact not all chameleons are the ubiquitous calyptratus. ;)

You dont say:rolleyes::D

I find it odd how all the chameleonforums people hated the movie yet everyone else who doesnt own a cham that I know thought it was good. Just because its a cartoon doesnt mean its a kids movie. Kinda sounds like my kind of movie. I love South Park and quite frankly I think curse words are funny and make everything better:D

don't get me wrong my kids liked it but compared to over recent kids movies(meagamind,despicable me) it was boring, I was dozing off throughout it.

I thought we'd see more chameleon like behaviors from Rango. He only shot his tongue twice during the whole movie. And his tail curled the wrong way. Other than that I thought the artwork, music, (the owl band was hilarious) and the story were all pretty good. It had a few boring parts but the artwork made those slow points bearable. Jmo....

It's a two-edged sword.

What you are saying is true from a certain viewpoint.

From another viewpoint it may trigger many life-long interests and passions for our hobby. Some kid who has his interest perked and is begging for his first lizard right now because of that movie may go on to be the first to breed, discover, or conserve a rare species of lizard someday.

I mean 30 years ago I was the only kid I knew who cared about/kept lizards.
I had 2 or 3 books.
I had to use bird multivitamins because there were no reptile vitamins available to me.
Vita-lite was the only lizard light.
The books I had all said specifics of breeding lizards was too difficult for captivity.
They all said chameleons were impossible to keep.

Nothing else was available to me.

Having more people interested over time has been a good thing-

Now there are many minds solving husbandry difficulties, making chameleon keeping and breeding possible.

There are lizard-specific lighting solutions in the market place.
There are reptile-vitamin supplements.
There is a library of books and internet resources.

More people interested has brought more money into the industry and that has been a good thing overall...

I agree to a certain extent. I know one big chain pet store is trying to cash in on this movie by offering $10-20 (something like that) off ANY reptile in their inventory. When people see things like that, they don't generally think right. They do the impulse buy, which often leads to a lot of unwanted pets. If we were talking statistics, I would say out of all the reptiles, mainly chameleons that will get sold because of this, there might be 10% that will have a good life and IMO that's being generous.

Folks chameleons are not cats and dogs. Its a long process from copulation to hatching to saleable size. Theres no way for even commercial large scale breeders to ramp up production for a movie opening. To take advantage of possible impulse buyers. Im sure theres going to be a few people leave the theatre and go buy a chameleon within a few weeks. But the chameleons in question are going to be sold to the public regardless. They were bred and incubated last yr not last week or even last month. Bottom line they were produced long before Rango became an issue.

If we were talking statistics, I would say out of all the reptiles, mainly chameleons that will get sold because of this, there might be 10% that will have a good life and IMO that's being generous.

I'd say that figure probably holds true of reptiles bought as pets regardless.

Most small animals bought as pets for that matter.

don't get me wrong my kids liked it but compared to over recent kids movies(meagamind,despicable me) it was boring, I was dozing off throughout it.

the first 5 minutes with the play acting and talking to a half run over armadillo were boring and i did doze off around the time the snake was introduced and woke up when he was talking to clint eastwood on the golf cart. but everything else was very amusing and i really enjoyed it compared to that other p.os. Battle:Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom