Rescued Panther! A bad case of MBD (long post)

buddythechameleon

On a whim I popped into the local aquarium (a small, underwhelming establishment) which doesn't sell livestock anymore. At the back in a small tank was this little albino-esque panther chameleon, a runt from a clutch which arrived sometime last September. Apparently no-one wanted him as he was half the size of the others and had a few 'problems'.

He was not for sale and rather underweight. He also had a bad case of MBD (classic signs in the legs and tail) which had gone unnoticed. He was slumped on his branch and probably stressed beyond belief from little kids running around 7 days a week and the huge green iguana in close proximity. The viv was also filthy and the décor clearly hadn’t been intended for a long term stay (I’d hope). Long story short I convinced them to let me take him (I only live up the road) and assess his health. I saw him on the Tuesday, picked him up on the Friday and have now had him for 11 days.

Observations when he first arrived:
  • Very visible ribcage.
  • Bulbous neck and lower jaw.
  • Very weak grip.
  • Movement very limited and shaky/ unsteady, lack of balance and cognitive control of tail and feet/hands.
  • Not able to hold himself up off the branch and obviously took comfort from being slumped over it and low.
  • Arm bones curved with bulbous knees and ankles, feet positioning abnormal when grasping.
  • A black bruise on left hand upper rear of the body.
  • Disfigured vertebrae both above the pelvis and in the rear 3rd of the tail. Tail tip damage.
To be honest I thought he was pretty close to giving up, but the little fella is full of fight and determination. Luckily he’d still been eating well, and had somehow managed to actively hunt in his condition. The first day, after observing his inability to ‘chameleon’, I made him a hospital cage with low perches, soft towels on the floor and a medium sized Calathea for some cover. He also had a 3-tiered large leaf dripper which he was apparently used to drinking from so I kept that.

After only these 11 days, with gut loaded and dusted locusts, calci worms, the odd wax worm, regular misting, basking area and new UVB bulb, his condition has improved remarkably!! Better coordination, much better strength and the shakiness in his movement is probably 20% what it was. I’ve upgraded his viv to a simply furnished, substrate planted environment with vines no higher than 5ish inches and a mossy substrate surface to cushion any falls (which he still often has). I’m itching to get him in a ‘lil slice of Madagascan jungle but am taking things at his pace.

I’d love any advice/tips/tricks from your experiences of cams in these circumstances and things that have or haven’t worked for others in the past? And has anyone experienced this stunted growth before? Could it be a result of a mutation or just malnourishment? Interested if any breeders have had any similar experiences with that regard.

Lastly, has anyone seen a similarly coloured Pardalis? I was told he’s an albino but I’m weary. He’s a very sandy colour with oranges, browns and occasional salmon colours. I’ve never seen one like him nor have I found any panther photographs similar to his colourations.

Apologies for the length of post! I’m new and figured context is beneficial. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Holding Viv .jpg
    Holding Viv .jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Planted.jpg
    Planted.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 209
Ive never rescued a Cham before so can’t weigh in on that. As far as the coloring goes and what not... that looks like a female panther to me. Hence the duller colors, skinny tail, and smaller size. Make sure to provide her with a laying bin. Best of luck on her road to recovery!

A good reptile vet for them is hard to find almost anywhere, especially a small island. Good luck and bless you for your efforts.

I should have noticed the "u" in "colour" and realized you were on an Island.

A good reptile vet for them is hard to find almost anywhere, especially a small island. Good luck and bless you for your efforts.

I should have noticed the "u" in "colour" and realized you were on an Island.

:LOL: If you think the UK is small, google Guernsey, Channel Islands!
Also, if anyone on this rock could give that chameleon a fighting chance, it's me! I had to try...

Definitely a female! Keep that in mind for your husbandry of the little girl.

Also, the latest episode of the Chameleon Breeder Podcast is all about rehabilitating and living life with chameleons with MBD. It might have some additional insights that you could find very useful :)

Definitely a female! Keep that in mind for your husbandry of the little girl.

Also, the latest episode of the Chameleon Breeder Podcast is all about rehabilitating and living life with chameleons with MBD. It might have some additional insights that you could find very useful :)

I did have my doubts... my Veiled was a female so I know whats coming! I'll take note.

And that's ideal, I'll check it out. Thanks a lot! :)

I did have my doubts... my Veiled was a female so I know whats coming! I'll take note.

And that's ideal, I'll check it out. Thanks a lot! :)

Good for you! I just adopted my first female chameleon last week and I'm already stressed out about the inevitability and risks of egg laying, despite her being in pristine condition and months away from sexual maturity! Kudos to you for putting yourself out there for her

Good for you! I just adopted my first female chameleon last week and I'm already stressed out about the inevitability and risks of egg laying, despite her being in pristine condition and months away from sexual maturity! Kudos to you for putting yourself out there for her

Ahh, yeah stressful times ahead! I made my Veiled a custom viv with deep planted foliage and fully automated environment. She loved it and laid a LOT of clutches in extensive burrows. A mix of her old age and exhaustion proved too much. It's very manageable, just a close monitoring needed during the laying and recovery period, but I guess that goes without saying. Thought this would be an easier ride :wideyed: I wish you the best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom