just make sure!

chameleonfan101

Established Member
hey guys so im writing this threat for those new chameleon owners and those people who have never taken a chameleon to a vet. i have had chameleons for several years now and most of them have been very healthy. the vet i where i usually take my chameleons has recently moved so i had to find a new one. one of my chams hurt his right back leg (not broken) on friday i took my cham in and they told me to leave him there and pick him up sunday. i asked several times if they had experience with reptiles and they said yes so i felt comfortable leaving him since it was under "professional care". today i received a call to go back and my little guy had died :(. so please please please please please find a vet that works and knows how to work with chameleons please. just because they say that they do reptiles does not mean they know how to take care of chameleons, most of them see snakes and therefore they think they can do al reptiles. SO MAKE SURE THEY KNOW HOW TO HANDLE CHAMELEONS. i was upset but i have learned a lesson even though i have lost a member of my crew. and i don't even want to tell you they temperature they told me they had him in because it just makes me mad. BUT PLEASE FIND A VET THAT YOU CAN GO TO IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY OR AS A BACKUP YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WILL NEED ONE. I DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ANY OF YOU.

I hear ya the only ones i know are dr. stein he works at a vca mcclave hospital

and dr.greek, very far over at yorba linda, took my zulu over to dr.greek, couldnt be more happier with the experience, may be a farther drive but that ease of mind that the kammers use him makes me breathe alittle

I hear ya the only ones i know are dr. stein he works at a vca mcclave hospital

and dr.greek, very far over at yorba linda, took my zulu over to dr.greek, couldnt be more happier with the experience, may be a farther drive but that ease of mind that the kammers use him makes me breathe alittle
yeah i tried looking for dr, stein at his beverly hills location but they told me he was no longer there. :(

first off i am very sorry for your loss.i was going to post a thread like this. i was thinking the otherday i wonder how good my vet really is. how much she really knows about herps. what kinda questions do we ask our vet to ensure our pets are taken care of properly
how many chams have you treated
what types of chams have u treated
what type of husbandry for the chams do you posses
what are the temps my cham is going to be exposed to during the visit
what or will you be feeding my cham anything at all
what is your plan of action
what do you think might be wrong
maybe even ask a couple questions about things you know are wrong just to see if they give you the right answer
its early in the morning here just woke up cant really think but had to post on this as i have beeen thinking about this since my fawn passed not to long ago to egg binding. if anyone can think of any more questions for the vet please post them and i would like to start a post about questions for the vet to ensure our chams good care in there time of need

Thanks guys! And yes everyone should think about what to ask a vet before leaving your chams overnight. A new threat would probably be really helpful to a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom