Just dug up some Calumma parsonni cristifer eggs

My gravid female C. p. cristifer just laid 39 beautiful eggs this morning. I've been monitoring her remotely in the evenings with a video app on my iPhone, so it was interesting to observe/learn from her behavior, both pre and post laying. She preferred more water in the soil.

I'm not an expert with Parson's, but I'm learning by watching. This species doesn't act the same way other chams do when they're ready to lay, at least, the two I've gotten eggs from haven't.

This female used her front legs to help bury the eggs--far more than any other species I've observed. And she laid the eggs very shallow, just like the big Yellow-lip female did for me. The Yellow-lip laid about three inches deep--this one laid an inch deep or thereabouts. Perhaps this is a reflection of some other factor, such as urgency to lay or lack of energy, and not the norm.

The eggs themselves look great--nice and firm and white. I'm going to incubate them the exact same way I incubated the Yellow-lips I hatched a few months ago.

In the picture I have them on a Repashy superhatch temporarily, I usually only use it for Leopard gecko eggs. I'll move these eggs onto vermiculite after a little time passes--this is what I did with the Yellow-lip eggs.

I'm experimenting with my brevicorne eggs though, using superhatch instead of perlite, which is what I use 95% of the time.

Best regards,
Sam
Backwater Reptiles

Remote monitoring, she's covering them up...
IMG_0427.png

Using her front legs a fair amount...

Digging them up...
IMG_0433.jpg

Finished product...
IMG_0436.jpg

My gravid female C. p. cristifer just laid 39 beautiful eggs this morning. I've been monitoring her remotely in the evenings with a video app on my iPhone, so it was interesting to observe/learn from her behavior, both pre and post laying. She preferred more water in the soil.

I'm not an expert with Parson's, but I'm learning by watching. This species doesn't act the same way other chams do when they're ready to lay, at least, the two I've gotten eggs from haven't.

This female used her front legs to help bury the eggs--far more than any other species I've observed. And she laid the eggs very shallow, just like the big Yellow-lip female did for me. The Yellow-lip laid about three inches deep--this one laid an inch deep or thereabouts. Perhaps this is a reflection of some other factor, such as urgency to lay or lack of energy, and not the norm.

The eggs themselves look great--nice and firm and white. I'm going to incubate them the exact same way I incubated the Yellow-lips I hatched a few months ago.

In the picture I have them on a Repashy superhatch temporarily, I usually only use it for Leopard gecko eggs. I'll move these eggs onto vermiculite after a little time passes--this is what I did with the Yellow-lip eggs.

I'm experimenting with my brevicorne eggs though, using superhatch instead of perlite, which is what I use 95% of the time.

Best regards,
Sam
Backwater Reptiles

Remote monitoring, she's covering them up...
IMG_0427.png

Using her front legs a fair amount...

Digging them up...
IMG_0433.jpg

Finished product...
IMG_0436.jpg

This is freaking fantastic, Sam! A big congratulations to you! 39 eggs is a great yield. I am guessing, based on the size of the animal, that is an average clutch size.

Very happy for you and hope the incubation goes off without a hitch.

Once Again, Great Work Sam!! and I will be following your progress very closely and be in touch to compare notes.
The gravid C. Parsonii. cristifer I got from you started digging test holes earlier this week which I assume would prove impregnation around the same time and/or seasonal cue here in Northern Cali.

Keep in touch
James

Once Again, Great Work Sam!! and I will be following your progress very closely and be in touch to compare notes.
The gravid C. Parsonii. cristifer I got from you started digging test holes earlier this week which I assume would prove impregnation around the same time and/or seasonal cue here in Northern Cali.

Keep in touch
James

Thanks James! Agreed--we'll compare notes and good luck!

This is great news Sam. I just love this species. Good luck with the eggs. Put me on the list for a baby, see you in 18 months or so.

Thanks Bob!

This is freaking fantastic, Sam! A big congratulations to you! 39 eggs is a great yield. I am guessing, based on the size of the animal, that is an average clutch size.

Very happy for you and hope the incubation goes off without a hitch.

Much appreciated!
Very cool. Good luck with the eggs, Sam!

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Sam

Great to hear that the gravid female Calumma parsonii cristifer laid for you!! Good luck with the eggs. I think we shall keep an eye out for updates about this clutch of Calumma parsonii cristifer eggs. The female Cristifer was a big female I was wondering when she laid how big of a clutch she would lay. She laid 39 egg clutch!! That is epic size clutch! Congratulations and again good luck!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Sam

Great to hear that the gravid female Calumma parsonii cristifer laid for you!! Good luck with the eggs. I think we shall keep an eye out for updates about this clutch of Calumma parsonii cristifer eggs. The female Cristifer was a big female I was wondering when she laid how big of a clutch she would lay. She laid 39 egg clutch!! That is epic size clutch! Congratulations and again good luck!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks Jeremy!

Congrats Sam.
How are the yellow lip doing?

Hi Ponders,

They're doing great, I've sold quite a few, and have about 10 or so left. I lost about 8-9 out of the 39, two of which were a day after hatching, so overall I'm fairly pleased. They're big fans of house/blue bottle flies right now.

Sam

I got 63 eggs from my big Yellow-lip, but this cristifer female was maybe half the mass of the Yellow-lip female.

Ken Kalish's two Calumma parsonii cristifer clutch's that I know about were a clutch of 37 eggs from 11/2/1996 and a clutch of 24 from 12/2/1997 (CIN Issue 26 and 27). Ken hatched 35 out of the 37 of the one clutch of 37. The other clutch I did not read about that clutch hatching.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom