Just arrived- does he look too skinny?

Thanks. I know this is a cosmetic concern, but what are the odds he will end up green? He was brown when I opened the box and turned black and has been since. I’m hopeful he will be more green after he gets used to his new home.

Thanks. I know this is a cosmetic concern, but what are the odds he will end up green? He was brown when I opened the box and turned black and has been since. I’m hopeful he will be more green after he gets used to his new home.
He will adjust, just don't hold him and don't bother him too much.

Two of the three jacksonii i got were dark when I first got them in and both eventually turned green. I think the brown color is a sign of stress and possibly the need to thermoregulate (ie dark colors absorb heat). I also notice the background of the enclosure looks black - he could be cueing of that color and remaining dark to match it. If he doesn't ever turn green - then you still have, in my opinion, a very cool looking cham; possibly an interesting sport. What's neat about him is the bright yellow head and dorsal crests - very nice! Hopefully will turn out, one way or the other, to be a very good looking specimen.

Last edited:
BTW OP, wait a bit for him to adjust, like several months, before treating him for parasites. Don't be bummed, things will be better after the initial drama. :)

First jacksonii xanth with brown background day one..no cool yellow crests ever developed :(

aTZo89.jpg

Once settled in he got very green

LWcabF.jpg

And even lichen-looking

6IOAI4.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you . The last two comments definitely made me feel better. Im letting him have his privacy and he is now exploring the cage. Hopefully he will be healthy and happy. I appreciate everyone’s help and comments!

First jacksonii xanth with brown background day one..no cool yellow crests ever developed :(

aTZo89.jpg
I try to appreciate their individual look but I compare him to a beautiful bright green and yellow Jackson I had years ago. It’s hard not to wish for those vibrant colors. Lol.

Yes, wait a couple of weeks for him to settle in then get the fecal to the vets. The stress of a new environment will make the parasites erupt but they won't begin laying eggs that show in the fecal immediately. Your best window for diagnosing them will be in 2-3 weeks. Also it will be better to treat them once he is settled in, well fed and well hydrated.
He will show you his colors as soon as he feels comfortable in his new home. Be patient.

Back
Top Bottom