Just arrived- does he look too skinny?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chamcrazy67, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

Hi! First time poster here. My Jackson just got dropped off by ups. He is not happy but he has eaten a few crickets and drank some water. His legs appear a bit skinny to me. What are your thoughts? I had a Jackson a few years ago and when he arrived he was about this size but he had nice plump arms and legs. He also was not black at all.

Attached Files:

2. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

They don't look exceptionally thin to me. Where did you purchase him from?

3. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

Underground reptiles.

4. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

So he's a wild caught, then. Make sure to quarantine him if you have other reptiles and take him to the vet. Very likely has parasites

5. Crashbandit05

Crashbandit05 Avid Member

Maybe (hopefully) it's just me but his lip looks swollen..?

6. Kristen99

Kristen99 Avid Member

I noticed this as well like as if it is about to peal over I have seen this in other wild caught jacksons.

7. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

Ya, I also thought the mouth looked a little off.

8. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

It seems like a swelling of the lower jaw, maybe the start of mouth rot, or something like infection in the mouth where it is swelling inside.

Fiona's Mom likes this.
  9. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

25A0ADB2-BCC8-43F4-AE22-E10E5DBC02E0.jpeg 5A99B22F-0262-43DE-A109-3C33B90CE076.jpeg 38605259-1813-46C3-9C63-23147E5D7474.jpeg 48B975B1-7609-4B7D-A3E7-A2E13FCFA382.jpeg Here are more pictures. His lips are yellow and the rest is dark so I’m not sure if that’s causing an illusion of them being swollen. Please let me know what you think of these pictures. Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. CJ's Exotics

11. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

These better?

Attached Files:

12. CJ's Exotics

You can't see the swelling? It does look like it is in the mouth.

Kristen99 likes this.
  13. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

I don’t see it. Do you mean the lining of his mouth or where specifically?

14. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

The yellow part around his lips? I thought that was his jawline. Since he is a little thin.

15. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

I do think that the color of his lips makes it kind of hard to tell! The first picture I saw it, then I found it more difficult to notice in your later pics. Just be sure to keep an eye on it, just in case!

16. CJ's Exotics

See how much bigger his lower lip is compared to his upper lip? And in the second picture, his mouth lining is exposed, and his lip is pushing out?

17. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

I think I see it now. Looking at pictures of other chameleons online it looks like the lip area is usually flat and doesn’t stick out at all. Is that right?

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  18. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

I’ve messaged underground reptiles but I’m not sure what I should do about it. I don’t want a possibly sick chameleon. What if they just say he looks normal?

19. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

Correct, their lips should lie flush with the rest of the face. Protruding can be a sign of some sort of ailment. Honestly, I don't think you will get help from Underground Reptiles. Their reptiles are wild caught, so you go into that purchase knowing you may receive a sick, old, or just generally less than healthy animal. It is a definite risk.

Consider purchasing from a captive breeding program next time to avoid the many many problems which come along with wild caughts.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  20. Chamcrazy67

Chamcrazy67 New Member

Ok. Thanks for all the information! I was really excited to get him but now im pretty bummed out. ☹️