Junebugs?

I have read on the forums that chameleons can eat junebugs as a treat, but not as a staple food because of the exoskeleton. I’m wondering if the “wild” junebugs that come to my house in the summer are okay or not? Would they harm my chameleon?

Junebugs are the adult form of lawn grubs. People often treat their lawns with pesticides to rid them of grubs (which eat the roots of the grass), and the adult beetles can fly considerable distances, so, "None of my neighbors treat their lawns," doesn't hold up.

IDK fer sher if they can carry or contain parasites, but I wouldn't chance it.

IMO, only feed insects bred by reputable feeder insect breeders or yourself (but not from wild bugs—it takes several generations to breed out any problems).

I'm not an expert or anything but I wouldn't risk it either.. I would rather stick to the bugs that I buy or ones that I know FOR SURE are safe. I'm too paranoid to be feeding wild insects for the most part

Some of the best breeders and most experienced members use wild caught insects regularly. My thought is, wouldn't the pesticides kill the insects? Maybe not in some cases, roaches for example can be immune to pesticides, but for most idt it's as big a problem as we think.

Some of the best breeders and most experienced members use wild caught insects regularly. My thought is, wouldn't the pesticides kill the insects? Maybe not in some cases, roaches for example can be immune to pesticides, but for most idt it's as big a problem as we think.

Im going to go with people dont spray for june bugs. But people spray for other bugs, and that spray may not kill june bugs, but may harm the cham. Then again i dont think twice about feeding off a stink bug i found in the house, and i feed off a ton of cicadas, which live right along side Mr june bug grub...

Im going to go with people dont spray for june bugs. But people spray for other bugs, and that spray may not kill june bugs, but may harm the cham. Then again i dont think twice about feeding off a stink bug i found in the house, and i feed off a ton of cicadas, which live right along side Mr june bug grub...

That's a good point. I assume with pesticides too it could be slow long term damage rather than an immediate reaction. Depends on where you live I guess, if there's no pesticides around, I wouldn't hesitate to feed wild insects off.

I have started collecting them and feeding them. My cham loves them. If they are coming from lawns then they did complete their metamorphosis to become beetles. They are easily attracted to lights. I don't know if they are coming from lawns or untreated fields. Lots of unknowns. Very crunchy for cham.

Here in the South, fertilizer is applied after July for centipede grass. I am not sure about the use of weed killer and how long it persists. Mobile, Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom