How long for BSFL turn to fly after being in the black stage

I have to ask where everyone is getting their bsfl from. Every single pet store in my area is now keeping them in the fridge, which unless I’m getting senile is something we said not to do a couple of years ago. I’ve tried them from a couple of different places and ended up with maybe one just barely clinging to life out of the 25 or 50 or whatever amount. I was going to order some on line, but the shipping was going to cost more than the bsfl.
I get mine from Joshs frogs. They're so reliable. And the price and shipping is good. And Spike absolutely loves them. They've become his favorite feeder. I only give him a dozen though so that he's getting as much of a balance possible between those, crickets and silks. I get the medium size 250 count. Pretty sure it's like $10 + shipping or something. Every few days I throw a couple in the plant pots on the bottom of the cage so that once in a while he gets some flies. He loves picking off the flies :)

As far as keeping them in the fridge is concerned, I believe this is fine. I do NOT do this anymore because to me it seems unnecessary. But you can do this to slow them down from pupating. I was doing this with my last chameleon and it worked fine. When they were out of the fridge, they just needed to warm up a little bit then they would be totally normal. You just don't want like freezing temps. Normal fridge temps is fine.

However, they usually take weeks or so to even pupate if you don't refrigerate. I'm feeding a dozen a day, so the batch is lasting about that long anyway. No need to refrigerate. Especially when I want them to pupate at times.

I specifically like the stuff Joshs frogs ship them in. I've tried them from other places and I feel like they do better/last longer in the dirt stuff whatever they put in there lol (they say what it is on their website but I am lazy atm :)

Back
Top Bottom