Are my BSFL dead? How did I kill them?

BugzNelson

I think they are dead because they have been like this over a month, but I just want to double check before I toss them.
I bought ~200 and fed off maybe 30 before they all just stopped moving. I thought, it’s cold in the room, maybe they are just conserving energy. I put them by the basking lamp so they will get a little warmer, but still no movement. Then I thought they must be turning into flies. I got 1 fly. A month later, nothing. So I think they are dead.

Also, any thoughts to how I could have killed them all? I thought they were pretty easy to care for but I clearly messed it up.
889CF789-74CA-4AC7-9152-C552FAA73DFC.jpeg
C0E3DBAA-893C-4EF3-9FA0-A47BF777E571.jpeg

So the black ones that are hard are pupating... May not have hatched out if it was too cold for them. The ones that are tan/brown that look dry and shriveled up are dead. These guys do not like it extremely dry but not soggy either. I keep mine in the original container... It is more air tight and they will not dry out as quickly. As they pupate (turn black and hard) I pull them and put them in a clear tub so I can see when they hatch out.

You can learn more about them here... look up episode 103 https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast-2021/

So the black ones that are hard are pupating... May not have hatched out if it was too cold for them. The ones that are tan/brown that look dry and shriveled up are dead. These guys do not like it extremely dry but not soggy either. I keep mine in the original container... It is more air tight and they will not dry out as quickly. As they pupate (turn black and hard) I pull them and put them in a clear tub so I can see when they hatch out.

You can learn more about them here... look up episode 103 https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast-2021/
Okay, thank you kindly! I've had them for a while so I was concerned but didn't want to toss them and then, next scene they all hatch.

Back
Top Bottom