Jumping Chameleon ?

Alagarde

I was transferring my 6 month panther to his outside enclosurethis morning, when he decided to jump out of my hands a good 4 feet onto tile. Instead of moving right away he just stayed there. I picked him up and took him outside. When I put him down he just laid on his side (now you see where the panic is coming from!) I picked him up and placed him back in his inside cage. He was gripping me with all four feet well and was able to walk back into his enclosure. It does not look like there are any broken bones, at least from what I can tell.

Has this happened to anyone? Any thoughts on keeping an eye on him vs. taking him to the vet?

If your Chameleon is healthy then he can easily take a fall from four feet, especially if he bailed on his own. Personally I would just keep an eye on him for now.

I would also like to add that if he is Jumping off your arm it’s because he’s afraid of you and would rather hit the ground than be on your arm. How long have you had this Cham?

Its the tile floor that is the problem. On carpet you can do it all day long. In the wild its a defense mechanism, "drop" and fall onto the leaves below and run.

I dont think this is a vet visit. just monitor, odds are its just like anyone else who got a good crack on the noggin. But their ribs are cartilage and combined with the lungs, its designed to be a built in air bag when falling.

If your Chameleon is healthy then he can easily take a fall from four feet, especially if he bailed on his own. Personally I would just keep an eye on him for now.

I would also like to add that if he is Jumping off your arm it’s because he’s afraid of you and would rather hit the ground than be on your arm. How long have you had this Cham?

I've had him for about six months. I know and understand animal behavior as I work professionally with exotic animals. I saw the signs and ignored them because I was more excited to get him out to his new enclosure. I know better then to do that and was being completely selfish ? I feel crummy.

I recommend you keep a close eye on him. He probably just got a little shaken up. Is he really scared of you or have you built a bond and gained his trust. don't feel crummy you were excited and was just trying to help and make his life better.? He will most likely be fine they do that in the wild and are built like airbags. Watch the video in YouTube ''the parson chameleon'' then you will see why you should not be stressed.

Back
Top Bottom