Jumbo (XXL) Screen Reptile Habitat Cage - U.S.A. made

A lot of people on here enjoy building their own cages and stands. It's like a hobby you know? They don't mind putting in the time and effort for their chams. While we haven't built cages for our chams, though I would love to one day, we did build our stands from scratch. The best part was we got to spend more time together by building the stands together. There's more to it for a lot of people than just getting it done for cheaper. It's not that you "got smart" you just didn't enjoy building the cages that much I guess.

Oooooo where's a ' clapping ' smilie ? So very true, well said...for us that fit your argument.

I built all mine, and I'm an old wrinklie girlie, but it gave me something to do with my time ( before I got totally hooked on Chams - breeding locusts etc :D ) I got huge satisfaction the day they all went into their new homes.

Mine were based on getting the spec right for what they were housing as being in the UK there is more to consider and get right. Researching and sourcing all the safe materials etc. Building them made it all very personal and ment something. Rather than a box arrives and ' in you go.......'

As mine all live in the lounge with me, as family members ( yeah ok I know :eek:lol ) I didn't want the reptile shop look so built a 6ft wide unit containing 3 seperate vivs to fit in with the room. All totally independant of each other and allowing for the difference in husbandry. Was a logistical nightmare lol. A 6 x 2 x 2 dry viv for my beardie this contained a pain stakeing but pleasing fake background. Above this were two 3 x 4 arboreal vivs for the boys. Again after research I could choose my own backgrounds, ventilation and design. Doris has her own seperate viv next to them.

Not only all the above but I also learned loads of new skills that normally I wouldn't come across. Carpentry, tiling, grouting, precise measuring of correct glass size :eek:, names and use of tools I had only seen in the workshop manual and being dragged kicking and screaming from imperial measurements to metric :rolleyes:

Currently I have been thinking of moving to screens cages but only because I hope to move to a much warner climate and they would be needed both inside and out.

So sometimes it isn't about the quick easy fix, like clinically going out to buy a new kettle, sometimes it's about giving someone a purpose, a reason, personal satisfaction and pride.
It wasn't about just ' buying a kettle ' it was about the journey.

.........and living proof you can teach an old dog new tricks :D

Phew !:)

how does me posting a big cage for sale, turn into a pissing match about building cages? i found a good deal and wanted to share it .. THATS ALL! ... i make and buy my own cages. K buys hers used .. Ive made so many cages it will make your head will spin .. K and first cham i made the cage for and it was great! . if you are the person that makes his/her own cages .. why would you have to come in here and post on this thread? it was for people that buy cages .. so go to a cage making thread and go post there .. you people are something are a work of art .. keep up the good work

how does me posting a big cage for sale, turn into a pissing match about building cages? i found a good deal and wanted to share it .. THATS ALL! ... i make and buy my own cages. K buys hers used .. Ive made so many cages it will make your head will spin .. K and first cham i made the cage for and it was great! . if you are the person that makes his/her own cages .. why would you have to come in here and post on this thread? it was for people that buy cages .. so go to a cage making thread and go post there .. you people are something are a work of art .. keep up the good work

OK then................:rolleyes:

I felt, in your earlier posts that you were posing the question ' why build, with all the supplies and the building and and etc ' I for one was only explaining WHY I choose to do that.

You said " yea and you still had to go home and put it together! .. so why not buy A really big cage already done for 110? "
That was a question was it not?

I simply answered your question because last time I looked this was an open forum for members.

i think you should go back and read your original post
IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE

I like to build my own, because not only am I a hands-on-do-it-yourself type personality, I have control over certain details about the cage that you might not have control over simply buying one. Not that there aren't some really good cages out there on the market today. And as far as price goes, if your only going to own 1 or 2 chameleons, sure, it might be more practical to just buy pre-made caging. But if you have large numbers of chameleons, I think in the long run it is cheaper to DIY. The 8 unit enclosure that Melric is proposing building for example: 8 individual cages like the ones mentioned at $79 to 100 each- that could potentially run $650-800 total, not to mention what you'd pay in shipping. When I buy my materials to build cages, I buy enough aluminum framing, screws, hinges, screen, spline, plastic locks and knobs, to build 3 complete cages, and I spend about $150. That's about $50 per cage. It depends on your particular situation as to what would benefit you the most. I have a rack system with all my lights, plumbing, drainage etc. and I build my cages to fit this system and have certain applications to allow for easy access for cleaning and such.$50 per cage as opposed to $80-100 works for me- To each his/her own.

A lot of people on here enjoy building their own cages and stands. It's like a hobby you know? They don't mind putting in the time and effort for their chams. While we haven't built cages for our chams, though I would love to one day, we did build our stands from scratch. The best part was we got to spend more time together by building the stands together. There's more to it for a lot of people than just getting it done for cheaper. It's not that you "got smart" you just didn't enjoy building the cages that much I guess.

I agree with this :p it is almost like a bonding moment if you do it with more then one person :) very fun in my opinion

I like to build my own, because not only am I a hands-on-do-it-yourself type personality, I have control over certain details about the cage that you might not have control over simply buying one. Not that there aren't some really good cages out there on the market today. And as far as price goes, if your only going to own 1 or 2 chameleons, sure, it might be more practical to just buy pre-made caging. But if you have large numbers of chameleons, I think in the long run it is cheaper to DIY. The 8 unit enclosure that Melric is proposing building for example: 8 individual cages like the ones mentioned at $79 to 100 each- that could potentially run $650-800 total, not to mention what you'd pay in shipping. When I buy my materials to build cages, I buy enough aluminum framing, screws, hinges, screen, spline, plastic locks and knobs, to build 3 complete cages, and I spend about $150. That's about $50 per cage. It depends on your particular situation as to what would benefit you the most. I have a rack system with all my lights, plumbing, drainage etc. and I build my cages to fit this system and have certain applications to allow for easy access for cleaning and such.$50 per cage as opposed to $80-100 works for me- To each his/her own.

You're right! And it also helps when you get all the materials at a discounted price. My brother works at Lowes. :D

RELAX GUYS we all have the samething in common we love chameleons and in the long run we just want our chameleons and others peoples chameleons to live happy health lives right?

That cage comes from Sandfire Dragon Ranch, if you go to there site it's only $89! I think they also have the drip tray for sale there for underneath their cages, if I remember right they where pretty cheap too I think they were like $25 & in the accessories category.

Here is a pic of the cage I built for myself:

14_19_53---The-Leaning-Tower-of-Pisa--Tuscany--Italy_web.jpg

I would deffinayely want a link to that site :D and. I think 1x2's at lowes are like 4 bucks at lowes in 8 foot long segments. So it'd be like 4 of those at the minimum to build a 24x24x48 inch cage. That's what I'm gunna end up doing. I can't find any cheaply priced screening anywhere online though, I will have to look at lowes or something and if I can't find it ill just use aluminum chicken wire

I wish the 2x2x4 cages were like 50 bucks because I am tight on money. I am just gunna build my own cuz I have been like zoned out into space lost in thought thinking of. How I was going to build the cage step by step and I'm like 90% sure that it will work good. And I can get the supplies for around $20. Soo some wood glue, screws, some 1x2's of pine, hinges, screen or chicken wire and that's about all ill need to get

Back
Top Bottom