Sansi Plant Light Question

Please make sure you put a good sealant on that wood. Also the palms are ok to climb on when they are young but really cant handle the weight of a full grown cham such as a veiled. Also they dont offer much shade. Remember chams are tree dwelllers their entire bodies are geared for it. I suggest Flukers vines to create a jungle gym. Luv the build. Please keep us apprized of your progress
Highly recommend to avoid the fake vines

Pothos really doesn’t need any special lighting. It does better with a grow light, but the 70w would be overkill for just pothos.
Experienced this myself. I have two pothos pretty high up in my enclosure and when I switched to a jungle dawn it was simply too bright and was starting to fry them compared to a few T5 daylight bulbs. Don't get me wrong, the jungle dawn is very impressive, but it's too good at what it does and could benefit from the ability to tune or dim the lights.

Sidenote: I might be looking to sell my jungle dawn 36", lightly used if anyone's interested!

Experienced this myself. I have two pothos pretty high up in my enclosure and when I switched to a jungle dawn it was simply too bright and was starting to fry them compared to a few T5 daylight bulbs. Don't get me wrong, the jungle dawn is very impressive, but it's too good at what it does and could benefit from the ability to tune or dim the lights.

Sidenote: I might be looking to sell my jungle dawn 36", lightly used if anyone's interested!
Yeah I decided to go with the Vivarium Electronics T5 HO fixture. It comes with the right bulb for plants so IMO this made the most sense. Just go with something basic to provide some light. Most the plants I'm using won't need any more. And if for some reason the palms don't work out, they're easily replaced.

Yeah I decided to go with the Vivarium Electronics T5 HO fixture. It comes with the right bulb for plants so IMO this made the most sense. Just go with something basic to provide some light. Most the plants I'm using won't need any more. And if for some reason the palms don't work out, they're easily replaced.
I'll also say I just like the look better under the fluorescent bulbs. The colors of everything in the enclosure, including my panther just look nice and bright but not washed out. I tried buying materials to try and diffuse the LED but then I just thought...why am I putting so much effort into a fixture when I already have something that works haha

Flukers bend a branch are the only vines i use. Vines with fake moss, fake leaves, made of rubber or other material that disintergrate under the lights are a hazard for many reasons. Also i clean my vines and branches off with chlorahexidine which is vet recommened and safe for chams its also safe for plants. It comes full strength and can be diluted and comes in wipes too.

Flukers bend a branch are the only vines i use. Vines with fake moss, fake leaves, made of rubber or other material that disintergrate under the lights are a hazard for many reasons. Also i clean my vines and branches off with chlorahexidine which is vet recommened and safe for chams its also safe for plants. It comes full strength and can be diluted and comes in wipes too.
Yeah that's all I have. I don't get any of the fake moss, or leaves or anything. Just those vines.

The rubberized vines have a texture that flakes off they aren't the best material for eyes to rub on and are just rubber around a metal wire. Again you may not have had an issue yet but these "vines" are a red flag for husbandry it just opens the doors for issues.

The rubberized vines have a texture that flakes off they aren't the best material for eyes to rub on and are just rubber around a metal wire. Again you may not have had an issue yet but these "vines" are a red flag for husbandry it just opens the doors for issues.
I appreciate the info. I will keep a close eye on them and if they flake off at all I will remove them. I haven't even heard of anyone having any issues with these, specifically, as these are one of the few actual recommended artificial branches that I've seen. Usually the issues that I've seen are the branches that have things glued/added to them.

Also, the #1 recommendation is real branches. And with that being said, the bark on real branches can clearly flake/break off, be sharp, etc as well. Those can also get in a chameleons eyes, yet we still use them. So Idon't think there's this much greater danger with flukers vines vs real branches. At least with the flukers vines, we will know when it's time to remove them because we will see the damage on them, if that occurs.

I appreciate the info. I will keep a close eye on them and if they flake off at all I will remove them. I haven't even heard of anyone having any issues with these, specifically, as these are one of the few actual recommended artificial branches that I've seen. Usually the issues that I've seen are the branches that have things glued/added to them.

Also, the #1 recommendation is real branches. And with that being said, the bark on real branches can clearly flake/break off, be sharp, etc as well. Those can also get in a chameleons eyes, yet we still use them. So Idon't think there's this much greater danger with flukers vines vs real branches. At least with the flukers vines, we will know when it's time to remove them because we will see the damage on them, if that occurs.
There is a logical flaw in comparing a real branch to the fake rubberized plastic texturized "vine" I wasn't trying to attack you or anything just trying to help from years of being on the forum as well as first hand experience and the vet visits that paired with the logic that these fake vines must be fine because that's what's commercially available.

They are less than ideal and I wish your chameleon the best however the vines are far from that hence my instance to avoid using them in the first place.

There is a logical flaw in comparing a real branch to the fake rubberized plastic texturized "vine" I wasn't trying to attack you or anything just trying to help from years of being on the forum as well as first hand experience and the vet visits that paired with the logic that these fake vines must be fine because that's what's commercially available.

They are less than ideal and I wish your chameleon the best however the vines are far from that hence my instance to avoid using them in the first place.
Don't worry I definitely did not take that as you attacking me or anything. I'm not being defense or anything like that. Like I said I appreciate the information and I understand what you're saying. But you're probably the only person I've ever heard say not to use the flukers branches specifically that I have. So while I do appreciate your opinion, I'm going to use them like so many on here do and I will keep an eye on them. If I notice any deterioration/flaking I will remove those right away.

I do understand what you're saying and I don't completely disagree with you. But these branches are recommended by most. If this were some alarming situation, that wouldn't be the case. like anything, we just have to monitor them and take action as needed. Outside of the flaking (which would likely take a long time to occur), there's really no other danger to using them. And that's something that can be spotted immediately.

FWIW I checked in with our breeder (Frams Chams) just to see their opinion and not only do they approve, they actually use them themselves. They did mention to just keep an eye on them for breakage/outer layer flaking off.

I'm not being hostile or anything like that, I just think the right information should be put out there as best as possible. We all have different experiences and opinions and the more information we gather together, the better we can all do for our chameleons. So, while it is important to make sure they aren't breaking/flaking, it seems pretty clear to me that Flukers Bend a branches specifically (not any of the ones with fake leaves, etc) are just fine and safe for our chameleons. Just like with everything else in the enclosure, we need to keep an eye on them and maintain as necessary.

Hello everyone!

I was thinking of getting a jungle dawn (I have quite a few pothos, a ficus benjamina, and 2 majesty palms). However, my panthers enclosure is 36"x24"x48". And the ones I am finding seem pretty small. I see people on here recommend the Sansi 70w, but I don't see any actual links to the fixture. My question is, is this the right one that is recommended or is this some kind of knock off?

https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-Lights-Indoor-Plants/dp/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=T8CXF1O888A1&keywords=70w+sansi&qid=1688867749&sprefix=70w+sansi,aps,88&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
This is the exact one I have. Been using it for a year and I have not had any plants die and I have it resting right on top of my enclosure. I have a monstera and 4 Hanging pothos and they’ve all been thriving the whole year. Good product for a great price, they often have sales whether on Amazon or their own website.

This is the exact one I have. Been using it for a year and I have not had any plants die and I have it resting right on top of my enclosure. I have a monstera and 4 Hanging pothos and they’ve all been thriving the whole year. Good product for a great price, they often have sales whether on Amazon or their own website.
Yeah I really only heard good things about it. I was close to pulling the trigger on it but I went with the Vivarium Electronics T5 HO fixture. I think it would have been tough to fit that one because I'm using a bakers rack and I need the racks underneath as well.

Back
Top Bottom