Sansi Plant Light Question

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello everyone!

I was thinking of getting a jungle dawn (I have quite a few pothos, a ficus benjamina, and 2 majesty palms). However, my panthers enclosure is 36"x24"x48". And the ones I am finding seem pretty small. I see people on here recommend the Sansi 70w, but I don't see any actual links to the fixture. My question is, is this the right one that is recommended or is this some kind of knock off?

https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylig...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Not a knockoff i have one exactly like it. Its very heavy and has to be hung above the cage. When you first get it, set it up in your bathroom turn it on facing up and shut the door for about an hour. Then go see how hot it is so you have a full.idea of how hot it gets and how far to hang it from the ceiling. Instead of the palms, i would get a swiss cheese plant (monstera) Big leaves and heavy stalks that the chams dont break. They also thrive with plant lights. Didnt have much luck with palms and plant lights. Oh you can go directly to sansi.com and ususlly get a discount code if you look.

Not a knockoff i have one exactly like it. Its very heavy and has to be hung above the cage. When you first get it, set it up in your bathroom turn it on facing up and shut the door for about an hour. Then go see how hot it is so you have a full.idea of how hot it gets and how far to hang it from the ceiling. Instead of the palms, i would get a swiss cheese plant (monstera) Big leaves and heavy stalks that the chams dont break. They also thrive with plant lights. Didnt have much luck with palms and plant lights. Oh you can go directly to sansi.com and ususlly get a discount code if you look.
I already have the palms. With that being said, considering my main plaints are pothos and palms, should I just go with no plant lights???

BTW since your cage is 48" you are going to have get the plants up higher. The pathos can be put into hanging pots and hang from vines if need be. The bigger plants you will have to zip tie to heavy branches. Stick to loght weight plastic pots!

BTW since your cage is 48" you are going to have get the plants up higher. The pathos can be put into hanging pots and hang from vines if need be. The bigger plants you will have to zip tie to heavy branches. Stick to loght weight plastic pots!
Yeah all of my pothos will be hung! my 2 palms are nice and big. I made sure they were about 39 inches lol

I actually placed them in there earlier and took a pic

Attachments

• 20230708_192259.jpg
    20230708_192259.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 40
I’ve been using the Sansi 70w lights, the same as your link. They’ve been great at keeping my plants alive. However, I have had issue with a couple of the lights - same issue with 2 lights staying on dim even when unplugged which is just bizarre. They do have a decent warranty, but with the first I wasn‘t aware and just tossed the light and with the second, other things took priority. I would like to try their new improved 70w light though. https://www.sansiled.com/collections/panel-grow-light

I’ve been using the Sansi 70w lights, the same as your link. They’ve been great at keeping my plants alive. However, I have had issue with a couple of the lights - same issue with 2 lights staying on dim even when unplugged which is just bizarre. They do have a decent warranty, but with the first I wasn‘t aware and just tossed the light and with the second, other things took priority. I would like to try their new improved 70w light though. https://www.sansiled.com/collections/panel-grow-light
I'm second guessing myself now though. Because I was thinking the palms would want more light. But since I am using pothos, maybe I'd be better off just keeping the enclosure near a window? And not using any plant lights? What do you think? I'm not worried about the ficus. It's really small and is gonna take forever to grow lol It can literally just hang out with everyone else in the enclosure lol :D

Pothos really doesn’t need any special lighting. It does better with a grow light, but the 70w would be overkill for just pothos.

Pothos really doesn’t need any special lighting. It does better with a grow light, but the 70w would be overkill for just pothos.
Okay considering I only just the 2 palms, and a bunch of pothos, I think I'll wait and see how the plants do on their before adding a grow light. ty!

Agreed it does give off heat: my cham uses as a second albeit not as warm basking spot later in the day during the winter when the basking goes off.

Agreed it does give off heat: my cham uses as a second albeit not as warm basking spot later in the day during the winter when the basking goes off.

Considering I am really only gonna have pothos and the 2 palms in there, do you agree that maybe I should just go without any plant lights for now? (still gonna have a basking bulb + uvb lamp of course but no plant light).

Considering I am really only gonna have pothos and the 2 palms in there, do you agree that maybe I should just go without any plant lights for now? (still gonna have a basking bulb + uvb lamp of course but no plant light).
I think the palms will still need some light, maybe a T5 bulb?

I have used the sansi as well as a jungle dawn they are both great lights and your plants will really appreciate the added lumens.

If you hold off on the purchase I can probably mail you one of my sansi (I have several for my indoor plants and retired one due to my jungle dawn purchase) I would recommend a plant light either way the t5 just don't have the umph to illuminate a heavily planted enclosure in my mind.

Do you have plans ie how to build
I do not I'm sorry. It's very basic though. If you get decent wood yours will end up better than mine lol The only thing I did that could be a tricky is do a 3 way joint with the wood. And my joints are terrible. It works though. I have some progress pics but IDK if that would help or not. If you'd like to see them I'll post them.

I have used the sansi as well as a jungle dawn they are both great lights and your plants will really appreciate the added lumens.

If you hold off on the purchase I can probably mail you one of my sansi (I have several for my indoor plants and retired one due to my jungle dawn purchase) I would recommend a plant light either way the t5 just don't have the umph to illuminate a heavily planted enclosure in my mind.
That's incredibly nice of you. But not necessary! I won't take yours haha. If this is something I truly should have then I will purchase a Sansi unit. It should be easy for me to set up anyway since I could hang it on the top shelf of my bakers rack where my enclosure will be. Honestly I am only second guessing here because of the types of plants I have.

I actually have some cheap grow lights but I'm not sure if they are doing anything.

I highly recommend the Fluval Plant LED. It’s designed for planted aquariums so it’s waterproof and has built in timers and dimmers. It’s fully customizable with a Bluetooth app on your phone. I have one, it’s easy on the eyes, and my plants love it.

I highly recommend the Fluval Plant LED. It’s designed for planted aquariums so it’s waterproof and has built in timers and dimmers. It’s fully customizable with a Bluetooth app on your phone. I have one, it’s easy on the eyes, and my plants love it.
Man that looks and sounds really nice. But the 34" version is like $150 that I see :( I'll add it to my list though. That's definitely nice. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom