Well the eggs that were laid on February 8th of this year started hatching today (five hatched of six, and the sixth has probably hatched by now). Sure seems like a quick incubation--three months. They seem big, healthy, and strong.

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

That's great Sam! Congrats.

FYI, I've noticed they are very sensitive to supplementation, and develop edema easily.

That's great Sam! Congrats.

FYI, I've noticed they are very sensitive to supplementation, and develop edema easily.

Congrats Sam!

Amen to what Tylene said! Watch out for any vitamin fortified foods too and commercial feeders (crickets or others) that were raised on such foods. Back in the 90s, I had a group of neonates that was doing well until I added powdered milk to the mixture I was raising house fly larvae on. When those larvae pupated then hatched into flies, I fed the flies to the baby johnstoni. Boom! The next day, all of them had edemas. Prior to adding powdered milk to the mixture I used for the larvae, I had fed them many, many houseflies without incident. They had been growing well, etc., but after the stupid mistake (powdered milk contains high levels of D3 and preformed A, although I think D3 was the major culprit), they did poorly for me. I believe they experienced permanent organ damage (liver and/or kidneys).

Perry

Lagartijo Hunter, GCash, Jeremy, Leedragon, Action Jackson, ponders, Craigwyatt, pamnsam94, jannb, and Dave Bolamperti - Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to comment, I really do appreciate it.

They seem to be doing well, although I haven't seen all of them eat yet. I've been offering hydei and baby crickets. I appreciate the tips from ponders and pamnsam94 regarding the supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom