Jigsaw's game reaches the next level

JCDenton

When I got him, he was only a Level One Chameleon:

day1k.jpg

Now, after a month, he has finally survived the rite of passage to become a Level Two Chameleon.

img0235j.jpg

img0250cj.jpg

img0259b.jpg

img0274od.jpg

img0304t.jpg

img0300mc.jpg

img0304t.jpg

img0328xo.jpg

img0244x.jpg

To me it looks like he has level 1 MBD but I could be wrong.

Please be more specific about what would make you say this. I have the proper light and have been supplementing with calcium, D3 calcium, and a multivitamin. Is it something you see in the first, older picture too or does it look like it developed in the month?

Maybe it was the 5th pic, it makes it look like his front left leg is curved at the wrist but I think it's just the shed and how he was grabbing th branch. I don't see it in any other pics.

Maybe it was the 5th pic, it makes it look like his front left leg is curved at the wrist but I think it's just the shed and how he was grabbing th branch. I don't see it in any other pics.

I'll take a look at him tomorrow when he's up. Do any of the other pics show bowing to be concerned about? He was stretched out and in the process of turning around for that one. I am a novice so it is hard for me to tell how straight his leg should be.

About a week ago, I noticed he was looking thin and I realized his crickets were too small and he wasn't getting enough to eat due to them not being active in his feeding cup. So I found some larger ones and hand fed him for a few days and he fattened up a lot. Then his appetite went down bit during the shed but I'm not too worried about that because it went back up quickly.

I am wondering a bit about his behaviour though. He typically (even during the time he was slightly thin) was very active, always running around on the ceiling/sides of the cage, and typically displaying the colors shown in pics 6 and 7 by default. When I fattened him up I also moved the basking lamp slightly closer to give him more heat, and he started to show darker brown and be lazy, basking on a branch most of the day. This morning the ambient was pretty low and he was light colors, running around again.

I wish I could figure out what he's trying to tell me on temps since I don't trust my digital hygrometer/thermometer as far as I can throw it in terms of determining his exact temp. The lighter colors are closer to his stress coloration he has when handled, and I know he goes darker when cold because of misting. This has me very confused, since raising his temps a bit caused him to display coloration I'd expect from him when cold. I was actually going to make a thread about it to get some opinions.

He may be going darker to absorb more heat, many chameleons do this. Also, since he is getting bigger feeders he is getting more food that needs to be digested which may be why he is basking more.

If you have not had this little guy in for a vets check up, I'd recommend you do so. Your cham looks shinny also. I'd recommend taking fresh poop for a fecal when you go to check for parasites. I'm by no means a panther expert but kinda looks female to me.

Congrats on a healthy baby.
I see no signs of MBD...even that photo as misleading as it might be is not a bad sign in my eyes and is a normal pose at that joint of his foot/leg.

Unless you and the breeder were doing everything wrong, I don't even think the baby is alive long enough to show signs of MBD yet.
Don't worry, he's healthy.

Harry

You should try some different feeders now like small silkworms and hornworms. Those are great feeders and do alot for a cham. Maybe you need to buy and new therm/hydr and see what the temps actually are. I have an old fashion thermometer sitting in the room it's self to see what the room temp is, maybe he too cold. Try covering up a couple of sides of the enclosure to retain more ambient temp.

He's a nice looking cham btw.

Back
Top Bottom