Microdosing LoD Through Uniform/Standardized Feeder Dusting

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I feed my adult panther chameleons and my adult veiled chameleon every other day.

That’s 15 feedings per month.

13 of those feedings are with Arcadia Earth Pro.

2 of those feedings are with Repashy Calcium Plus LoD

So instead of remembering to dust biweekly I just went ahead and made a standard ADULT MIX at a ratio of 2 parts LoD and 13 parts non LoD.

My chameleon keeping has gotten easier and more enjoyable as a result of this approach and after several months I’m glad to announce there have been no ill effects.

I did consult with Bill Strand who agreed this approach may even be better than the biweekly supplementation of LoD.

Here’s what I did. Get your non LoD powder and your LoD powder and a good tablespoon-sized scooper like you would use for baking. I didn’t find a metal tablespoon to be helpful because you need good and level scoops.

Adult Chameleons - Take 1 scoop of LoD powder and give the scooper a light tap on the table to make sure there’s no air in it. Take anything flat like the back of a butter knife (or your index finger) and level off the top of the scoop. At this point you will feel like Pablo Escobar. Dump that first scoop of LoD in an empty mixing cup or bowl and repeat with one more scoop (2 scoops total) of LoD. Once you have two level scoops of LoD go ahead and put 13 level scoops of non LoD in the mixing cup/bowl. Repeat that 2:13 mix ratio again and again until you’re out of the non LoD powder. You’ll have LoD left because there’s much less of that in the mix. Label your container “ADULT MIX” and I’ll tell you why.

Baby chameleons - Young chameleons eat daily. So that’s 30 feedings a month, of which two feedings have LoD. For the baby mix you will do 2 parts LoD and 28 parts non LoD and we can reduce that ratio to 1:14 because 1:14 and 2:28 are the same ratio. So take your scooper again and do 1 scoop LoD and 14 parts non LoD. Repeat again and again until you’re out of non LoD powder. And label that container “BABY MIX”

For Jackson’s people have told me they do just 1 feeding per month with LoD. So you would give a baby 1 part LoD and 29 parts non LoD and an adult 1 part LoD and 14 parts non LoD.

Last edited:
My only concern with this approach is that calcium can block absorption of some compounds. Giving vitamins in combination with even more calcium than the LoD has already could further inhibit absorption. I'm not saying it won't work but do keep an eye out for deficiencies as you go forward.

My only concern with this approach is that calcium can block absorption of some compounds. Giving vitamins in combination with even more calcium than the LoD has already could further inhibit absorption. I'm not saying it won't work but do keep an eye out for deficiencies as you go forward.
Good insight. It’s a great idea and I honestly think it’s worth having a conversation over.

Omg I love this! I am not the greatest at remembering things so I have to make myself notes and reminders when to give my multivitamin. This would put my mind at ease and keep me from having to check my notes everyday to see if it’s calcium or vitamin day 😅

Back
Top Bottom