Jail Break Chameleon!!!

Metric

Hey guys, this is my first post in this community, and i hope to get along, and participate as much as i can.

Right now Im having 2 little problems i need help with.

I have a Male veiled chameleon, he's about 8 months old. He's in a glass Terrarium at the moment, I'll be getting him a fully caged one this summer. Anyways, in his Environment he has 2 fake plants, LOTS of branches to climb and 1 live plant. The Live plant I'm using is a Hanging Pathos, mainly because they retain water on their big leaves easily and sometimes my Cham likes to nipple on the leafs. Since i put this plant on, It seems to have attracted some tiny little flying bugs. These bugs are extremely small, probably the same size or smaller then a fruit fly, i wanted to know how i could get rid of these bugs without harming my Cham, I know i shouldn't use pesticides because they can harm my Cham, so I'm not too sure what to use to get rid of these pesks.

My second problem is my Cham himself, He seems really healthy, his colours are vibrant, he eats well, gets misted 2-3 times a day and has a drip going 24/7, all the water i use is distilled. The problem is that he's...alittle TOO active. He seems to always want to get out of his environment. Today he even started going right up to the glass where the lock mechanism is to open the glass once i walk near him, as if he knows where i open his terrarium. He's constantly hanging upside down from the above meshing, and he often times scratches on the glass walls (even thought 70% of the glass is covered by plants, he moves them and scratches away, as if he's looking for an escape) I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, i heard that if a CHam wants out, it's usually because something is wrong in his environment.

I'm thinking its 1 of 2 things. Either the glass is stressing him out, OR the small fruit fly looking bugs are stressing him out, as they have been multiplying (i see often 4-6) flying around.

just incase its relevant, his temps are fine too, his basking sits around 90deg+ and non basking 75-84 degrees depending where.

Any idea's or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm scared to give in and just let him out. He's bitten me before (it doesn't hurt and i don't mind) but i don't want to stress him out by running around trying to catch him if he gets away!!

Thanks a lot for any info guys!!

Last edited:
Sounds like when you mist there isn't any drainage and gnats may be laying eggs in the water.

If your chameleon can see his reflection in the glass he will get stressed out.

He "scratches" on the wall because of barrier confusion. He doesn't know the glass is there.

I think you may be right about the drainage, because while setting up his drip I had left in on a little higher then a should of (dripping too often) the next day, his substrate was really wet.

Will the gnats die off or leave once the substrate has dried out????

thanks for your quick reply : )

You can let your plant dry out for a couple of days and hopefully the nats will leave.

About the cham it sounds like it is several things. The glass is an issue because of the reflection, the airflow, and it sounds like it might be to hot in there as well. It also sounds like your enclosure is too small. You need to give him more space usually if he is clawing at the sides. An 8 month old veiled should be housed in a 3 or 4 foot tall cage with lots of space.

Doesn't sound like anything wrong with him it just sounds like he needs a bigger cage.

You don't need substrate! No substrate! Please remove it. Generally we use a no substrate rule..

Champion there is an edit button...

Double posting is frowned upon, netiquette, etc. I'll save someone else the worry of posting their netiquette rules. ;)
You know who you are hehe!

I know everyone here likes it when you fill this out.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

I'm no expert but by all means...he does not need the dripper on while he is sleeping lol. Just like everyone else said.....no substrate...probably too hot and he needs a cage, not aquarium for airflow.

Oh wow, am i glad i joined this forum lol.

ok a couple concerns,

1. Why is substrate bad? Should i use paper towels instead?

and as for a new habitat;

Does anyone have a guide for building their own caged habitat (with step by step instructions, and pictures maybe? lol) Or would it be more cost effective to purchase one?

I've been looking for a guide for building my own habitat, but none of the guides I've found have been detailed enough : /

thanks again for the quick replies!!!

Subtrate is bad because your cham may eat it and become impacted and could die. Go to Forums at the top and check out Enclosures And Supplies you should find some cage info there.

To address yoru concern about building or buying a cage it's easier just to buy a screen cage from LLLreptile.com. It's going to cose you about just the same and the LLL cage is going to be very managable and is designed for your convenience. It's sturdy, has two doors, and a very easy to clean bottom that you don't need to put anything on.

its deffinitally the drainage had the same problem and my whole ceiling near my cage was BLACK and moving very gross... best way is to clean it all out remove water.... BUT FIRST goto your local grocery store.... talk to the meat dept guys and try to get a large chunk of dry ice.... if you explain they probibly will give to you.... drop into a bug plastic cup of water and let that mist fill the tank entirely..... will kill anything inside... but the plants.... then clean replace chameleon.... and keep dry.

Back
Top Bottom