Jah's eye is closed :-(

Dave

Avid Member
Hey everyone,
I've been meaning to post some pics of this, as I've been working with Jah, my male Ambilobe, trying to get his eye clear of whatever is causing him to keep it closed during the day. He's still very active, and not showing lethargic behavior or anything.

I ran his eye under water, which he seemed to really like, and after the rinsing, he was able to use his eye again until it was a few hours later, so maybe there's a problem with it drying out?

Here's some pictures, please help me figure this out. Could it be an infection at this point that needs antibiotic from the vet?

533426_10150992211359196_628809195_12825254_1398718089_n.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 79
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 126
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 84
im no expert at all but thats what it kinda sounds lie the whole not being able to put liquid on his eye thing maybe try taking him to a vet and see what their opinion is.

Until you can get him to a vet, I would only rinse it with plain saline solution from a pharmacy. Ask for one without any additives.

It would help if you could fill out the "How to ask for help" form just in case it's something you might have missed in your husbandry.

Hey Dave, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ambi. I would try and hydrate as much as possible. Get some hornworms or silkworms to help with that. You can also inject dubias with water and feed them off with tongs if he'll take them. Check how much D3 you are giving. I have had the closed eye thing before and it was a combo of too much D3 and not enough vit A. I have not seen any issue like this since switching to Repashy calcium plus (all-in-one) which has low doses of both of those. If that does not seem to be the cause maybe your vet will have a better idea. Until then, showers will also help to flush the eye and give him more drinking opportunity. Hope this helps.

Thank you guys for helping out with this. The Repashy Calcium plus is a good idea, I just got a shipment of Repashy in so it would be a good time to try it out. I usually don't use dusting supplements because I gutload and vary up my reptile's diets (kinda the advantage to running a feeder business) so he's pretty spoiled on hornworms and gutloaded superworms n crickets.

I'll take a picture of his cage tomorrow when the lights come on. I just made a whole new sprinkler system, we're testing the sprinkler line now and it works amazing in getting some extra hydration to Jah's cage. Before he just had a single sprinkler head that was placed poorly on his cage, but now I have 2 heads on his 3.5' wide Reptibreeze that are pointing straight down that hooks to the flourescents. It's really neat, I hope Jah appreciates it. I know Waldo (my veiled) does, he's been hanging out in the mister all day lol!

So you really think it might be from lack of hydration or vitamins?

A little update. I began using Repashy's Calcium Plus with Jah today. How many times should I dust with Calcium Plus, never used it before? Are there any other Repashy supplements that would be good for my female Ambilobe baby, Juvenile Senegal, or 4 year old male Veiled?

What about Supervite and Superpig, stuff of that nature?

-Dave
SPF

Just an update, an SPF client who's a vet tech at a local exotic vet, got my some Bacitracin and another eye antibiotic. He's beginning to keep his eye open, but you can tell he has limited vision, but it is getting better.

Thanks for the help!

A little update. I began using Repashy's Calcium Plus with Jah today. How many times should I dust with Calcium Plus, never used it before? Are there any other Repashy supplements that would be good for my female Ambilobe baby, Juvenile Senegal, or 4 year old male Veiled?

What about Supervite and Superpig, stuff of that nature?

-Dave
SPF

You should dust it at pretty every feeding with feeders that have a higher phosphorus count than calcium, so crickets dubias, silkworms, not supers and not hornworms

Back
Top Bottom