Jackson's fav foods

KyleFitzz

Hey guys its almost time to make an order for some new food for my Jackson's! So far I have Dubias ( he's not too interested) crickets (he likes them a lot but I don't like the smell), Phoenix worms ( he abosolutely loves), wax worms ( treats he will have once in a while), butter worms ( wouldn't eat, thankfully my geckos eat what he won't), meal worms ( he only eats on occasion, rarely), horn worms (tried and he only ate 2 out of 30 :-/). What are some things you guys had success with so I can add more then Phoenix worms, crickets, and his wax worm treat? The help would be great and I want to order tonight or tomorrow.

Have you tried superworms? My jackson, Drake, seems to favor them over anything. I usually have them climb on the walls of his screen cage, and he'll zap 'em. There are also silk worms, but unfortunately Drake only ate a couple. User Pigglett79 has very useful guides on how to breed/care for silkworms, as they have weak immune systems. Hope that helps a little!

I second the blue bottle recommendation. Jacksons go crazy for flies! Got mine from 'Tiki Tiki Reptiles'.

How so you guys feed him the Dubias, mine ate one from hand feeding now he won't touch one ever. I have plenty left

I only feed small dubias to my Jackson's. They have trouble chewing the larger ones. I like to feed them Dubias because you can gut load them so well, I just don't do it too often.

Here's what I have been feeding my Jackson's lately. Keep in mind I have some Juveniles.
FF's
Bean beetles
BB Flies
Dubias
Silkworms
Hornworms
Mantis
Crickets
Superworms
misc. bugs from garden

I have snails too but they are to large for the Jackson's

Last edited:
Mine absolutely loves woodlice! He literally sprints across the cage when he sees one! They are very high in calcium, but you need to get your own colony going to ensure that they haven't absorbed high levels of heavy metal deposits from the ground outside.

How so you guys feed him the Dubias, mine ate one from hand feeding now he won't touch one ever. I have plenty left

I put the dubias on a leaf and he goes right for it. I keep a close eye on them though, don't want to lose roaches in the cage or house.

Yeah I tried that the other day maybe he just didn't want any then. He just at his first superworm earlier today :)! Every time I seem to question the way he eats he will eat something new or more then he has haha!

Hmmm, I did not realize the supers would climb the screen, good to know. I would love to try Bbflys but I fear they would get out of the cage and I would have a mess on my hands.

I can't get my guy to eat dubias either and I have over 8k of them :(

Lol yeah how do you guys contain the flies and how many do you put in the cage? Also with mantids how many do you feed at a time??

I usually put like 15 or so flies in the cage. I just release them in there and the chams go to town. The flies are pretty big and not that hard to catch if they dont eat them all.

Try blue bottle flies, my Jackson goes nuts for them. You can get them at http://www.mantispets.com

Mine also loves dubias, mantids, horns and silks.

Same here. Noogie LOVES bb's, and so does little Kokie.
It's so much fun to watch them go after their flies!! I should do a video of them!!
So, if your cham looks really bored, and you want to perk him up a bit, just give him some bb's :D

Hmmm, I did not realize the supers would climb the screen, good to know. I would love to try Bbflys but I fear they would get out of the cage and I would have a mess on my hands.

I can't get my guy to eat dubias either and I have over 8k of them :(

Yes, they do get loose into the house, but my home raised flies are weak
fliers, I guess from being couped up in a small container, but they are easy to catch if they get loose.

Noogie is a picky eater. He will not eat a worm of any kind, no matter how much I get them to wiggle and move.
He simply does not recognize them as food!!
He will eat dubia and cricks, and of course, bb's.

I usually put like 15 or so flies in the cage. I just release them in there and the chams go to town. The flies are pretty big and not that hard to catch if they dont eat them all.

I give my flies a little fresh honey right before I use them as feeders.
Nice and sweet, maybe that's why they love them so much!!??:)

Back
Top Bottom