Jackson sleeping?

Virgil12

I just recently got a Jackson chameleon from my local pet store. My friend had him but not keep him so now I have had him for about a day. He is so sweet and probably 4 or 5 months old. My boyfriend is building him a nice big screen enclosure like I have for my veiled so in the meantime we have him in a temporary home. But I have noticed that throughout the day for a few minutes at a time, even less, he has his eyes closed and seems to be sleeping. I noticed before we got him he did this once when we went to see him at the petstore. When he is out of his cage he is very sweet and very awake and active. He eats normally too. Should I take him to the vet to get him checked out? Any tips would be helpful!

Welcome to the Jackson's club!
They are such wonderly gentle critters and sweet is a perfect description :)

If you have a vet who knows how to treat chams, such as Dr Ivan Alfonso who became a vet because he loves chams, then a vet visit would be an excellent idea.
A fresh fecal sample should be brought to determine if he has internal parasites sapping his strength and affecting his health.

If he is green, then he is older than 4 or 5 months, as Jackson's are a mottled brown and tan camoflauge pattern at that age.

He will see your Veiled as a threat, so he should have a barrier to keep them from seeing each other.

Very important for Jackson's are the right temperatures and humidity.
I don't think ever ever seen one in a store who wasn't somewhat dehydrated from too little water and too much heat.

Most Jackson's are shy, so it can be difficult to get them to drink enough if you don't realize this.
Long, relatively frequent mistings are the answer to that.
If you have an AquaZamp or MistKing system, then you'll have an easy time keeping him well hydrated.

You can give him some long mistings and see if that perks him up more, as that might be the problem.

It is probably much too hot where you are for outdoor time during the day but you may get cool enough temps early in the AM to sneak in a bit of real sunlight.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the supplement schedule for your Veiled is about twice as much as your new Jackson's needs.
Calcium without D3 or phosphorus can be used on most feedings, or every other feeding if you like but you must only use a multivitamin just 1x a month and use calcium with D3 only 1x a month, or problems will occur.

Here is the forums page on Jackson's https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/ which is well worth reading, as their temperature requirements and supplementing differs from Veiled and Panther chams.

Anyone interested can see just a few of my Jackson's here https://www.chameleonforums.com/young-cbb-jacksons-females-133320/

Okay thank you so much! I have 2 vets near me that treat chams but not sure how qualified or good they are with them that's what I'm worried about. I must him a lot more than I do my veiled throughout the day but he seems not to like me misting him so I usually take him out when I do so I won't scare him or stress him. My veiled and Jackson are on opposite sides of the room so it's not much of an issue, he is should green I'll attach a picture of him. Thank you for the information about the multivitamin and calcium I wouldn't have known that!

You're very welcome.

I love Jackson's because they're so sweet and gentle and I truly wish for everyone to have success keeping them healthy.

Some chams like being misted--some of my Jackson's actually go near the mister when it's about to come on and sit there with their faces pointing into the mist.

Often, misting is more happily received when you use very warm water-- even hot if you use a fine mist--- in the misting bottle and begin spraying at the tail, then work forward.

Automatic misting systems can be great with Jackson's and other montane chams especially, since they often need long mistings.
They're nice with any cham if you want to go away for a weekend.

There are a number of forum members in Florida who can most likely recommend a good cham vet to you===and Florida has some very good ones like this guy who has a mobile vet practice http://www.ivanalfonso.com/
If you're lucky enough to be in an area where he works, don't hesitate to have him examine your cham.

Back
Top Bottom