Jackson not shedding!!

Hello I just joined the forums because my male Jackson chameleon I just got is taking forever to shed he still has his bottom half to go and it hasn’t even began peeling off and was wondering if this can kill him? He was with another female Jackson that I had got so I put them in separate cages hoping this would reduce the stress and let him shed but nothing the female Jackson and female veilded I got same day have already shed and it took them one day just wanted to know if I should worry?

Welcome to the forum!

Please post some photos and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can try to help you.

@JacksJill any ideas?
I will have to post pictures tomorrow because it is dark and don’t want to wake him
  • Your Chameleon - I have a male Jackson chameleon I think he is 2-3 months not sure I have had it for 3-4 days
  • Handling - When first got him was a little bit of handling just to setup cages and move them
  • Feeding - I feed 4 large crickets I feed 30 min after lights go one then again at 4:00 4 hours before lights go off I gut load with the orange cube complete cricket diet by flankers or oranges and celery
  • Supplements -I use the calcium that comes in reptibreeze kit, once a week I use with D3 and 2nd week put reptivite Once
  • Watering -I will mist until I see him drinking but sometimes I spray the stream from spray bottle at his mouth and he drinks like that because I know misting messes with the shedding Was thinking of dripper but don’t want big mess I mist 2-3 times a day for 3-4 minutes
  • Fecal Description - he usually light and dark green but the bottom half I can tell is dull his droppings have been a little yellow so I’m trying to keep him hydrate he likes when I spray his mouth and he drinks from stream of spray bottle and his poop is solid I’ve been feeding him good and he has not been tested was thinking of taking him in
  • History - I just got him like 4 days ago and he was house with 2 other Jackson’s one male and one female well I took home a female and male and had them in same cage because the guy I got them from said they can be together but I already knew they couldn’t so I got another cage to reduce stress hoping that was the reason

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is screen and it’s the medium size reptinreeze cage 16 x 16 x 36 my Cham is still pretty small but I know they grow fast
  • Lighting - I have a linear reptisun T8 10.0 I turn lights on at 8:45am and off at 8:45pm
  • Temperature - basking spot is around 84 degrees and the bottom of the cage is around 76
  • Humidity - my humidity levels are around 50%-60% I keep the levels by misting I bought a fogger just in case I use a digital hygrometer
  • Plants - No live plants but I want some
  • Placement - my cage is on top of a dresser it is 5ft off the ground and it is in my room no one walk through there
  • Location - Albuquerque NM

Current Problem - my chameleon is taking forever to shed and I’m hoping this will not kill him and he will be able to shed successfully next time

Last edited:
There are a few things that you will need to improve for his sake but as you haven't had him long aren't causing him to shed slowly. This is likely stress hydration and humidity related. You just moved him in so nothing you can do about that but give him a cage with lots of live plants for good cover. Good you are working on his hydration soft bodied worms like horn and silk have a high moisture content. Hi humidity might be a factor, during the day time you can stay in the 40-50% range safely and it is more like their natural conditions. Your temps are also a bit high and he will do better at 72 ambient and 78-80 F basking until he is older. You can improve your gut load to improve his health for his next shed. Dump the orange cubes and try a wider variety of veggies celery is high in sodium and a poor choice.
chameleon-gutload.jpg
I also have concerns about your supplement schedule.

There are a few things that you will need to improve for his sake but as you haven't had him long aren't causing him to shed slowly. This is likely stress hydration and humidity related. You just moved him in so nothing you can do about that but give him a cage with lots of live plants for good cover. Good you are working on his hydration soft bodied worms like horn and silk have a high moisture content. Hi humidity might be a factor, during the day time you can stay in the 40-50% range safely and it is more like their natural conditions. Your temps are also a bit high and he will do better at 72 ambient and 78-80 F basking until he is older. You can improve your gut load to improve his health for his next shed. Dump the orange cubes and try a wider variety of veggies celery is high in sodium and a poor choice.
chameleon-gutload.jpg
For 6 days I will give him calcium without D3 on 7 day I will give him calcium with D3 and I was wondering when and how often to use reptivite

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 86
You should only give D3 once a month and reptivite once a month space them out two weeks apart.
This is a basic care sheet you can improve on it as you go. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
here is what it says about supplements "
Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."
There are other ways to do it but this is a good one for starters

You should only give D3 once a month and reptivite once a month space them out two weeks apart.
This is a basic care sheet you can improve on it as you go. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
here is what it says about supplements "
Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."
There are other ways to do it but this is a good one for starters
Thank you I don’t want to be poisoning him I have a male vielded also and I’ve had him for about 2-3 months now and I feel like I am feeding him a lot but he eats a lot also should I skip a feeding?

Last edited:
I'm not a veiled owner but if they are less than a year and willing to eat everyday you don't need to skip feedings. Many have their appetite drop off a little at 9 mos and you can skip some days then.

Hi, my Jackson just went through a shed. The same thing was happening. I helped him out by letting him swim in an inch of warm water with a rock in it for him to go to. I used a Q tip to get gunk off his horns and chin and the most of the shedding came off with the water. His colors were extra bright afterwards. Congrats on the Jacks! He looks fantastic even with shedding.

The stress for a tree dwelling reptile to be immersed in water would be tremendous. It is better to wait the shed out than to stress them needlessly. I'm glad yours was ok but I wouldn't do that again or recommend it to others.

Back
Top Bottom