Jackson not cold enough?

Hey guys, in all the reading I've done I've seen that jacksons in particular like a good drop in temp at night..I've seen 50's I've seen low 60's..

But in the past week (here in central fl) his enclosure has not dropped below 70.0..

Is this a problem that needs remedy, or should my little guy be alright?

It depends on how long the rise in temperature will keep up.

They need the temp drop to rest properly so if they don't get proper rest for longer periods of time they will become more susceptible to disease... Warmer than 65F is bad, over 70F will eventually be lethal.

I try to put my jax out as soon as temperature allows. 50F is not that cold for a jax, they actually can take quite a bit colder as long as they can warm up the next day.

You can place bottles with water in the freezer and place them on and/or in the enclosure at night. Try misting at night to help cool down a bit, run a cool mist humidifier for a couple of ours. Buy an AC or make a poor man's AC or use a fan... Just don't aim the fan directly towards the enclosure.

It depends on how long the rise in temperature will keep up.

They need the temp drop to rest properly so if they don't get proper rest for longer periods of time they will become more susceptible to disease... Warmer than 65F is bad, over 70F will eventually be lethal.

I try to put my jax out as soon as temperature allows. 50F is not that cold for a jax, they actually can take quite a bit colder as long as they can warm up the next day.

You can place bottles with water in the freezer and place them on and/or in the enclosure at night. Try misting at night to help cool down a bit, run a cool mist humidifier for a couple of ours. Buy an AC or make a poor man's AC or use a fan... Just don't aim the fan directly towards the enclosure.

OK thank you so much..that's alot of useful info..I think the frozen bottles..or some ice packs might be my best option for tonight and tomorrow.

I don't have an auto mister yet that is my next purchase, hopefully that will help cool him down.

I would still let it blow past the enclosure, you wan't to avoid your cham getting a RI...
Wet cham + wind will increase chance of RI by alot.

I'd put the mister as an priority on your list as jax's require a lot of misting. 4 x 3 minutes is no luxury.
You wan't to plan your drainage well too...
I have a bucket (10liters) of water going in and out every day and mist for 18minutes a day over 2 enclosures (3 nozzles).

I would still let it blow past the enclosure, you wan't to avoid your cham getting a RI...
Wet cham + wind will increase chance of RI by alot.

I'd put the mister as an priority on your list as jax's require a lot of misting. 4 x 3 minutes is no luxury.
You wan't to plan your drainage well too...
I have a bucket (10liters) of water going in and out every day and mist for 18minutes a day over 2 enclosures (3 nozzles).

Alright I'm going to fix this right now..
If you had to pick one for me that you think would benefit my jax the most in warm-nighted fl which would it be? Im sorry if you find this annoying..this problem just stress me out..if none of these options are viable, should I frozen bottle the enclosure and order something different online? Thank you so much.

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/sup...essure-rainfall-system-14849.html?cgid=500012

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/sup...e-terrarium-humidifier-14901.html?cgid=500012

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/sup...rrarium-misting-system-14893.html?cgid=500012

Simple fix.

Buy a flat ice pack. Each night place it on top of the cage in a corner. Never cover the entire top with this method. Cold air sinks, the corner in question will drop in temp and the cooler air will disseminate around the cage.

I wouldn't personally worry until the night temps start staying above 75 in FL. In the summer you might even be using this method during the day if your house gets too hot and you don't have an AC. Might want to look at a veiled if you can't keep the house cool in the hot months.

a humidifier is not a must, a mister is more or less...
I think mistking is the best brand in the US, I have no experience with it or any other brands.
Tho I use a pump similar to that of the mistking and it works great! It doesn't brake when it runs drie and it can run for longer periods of time.

Simple fix.

Buy a flat ice pack. Each night place it on top of the cage in a corner. Never cover the entire top with this method. Cold air sinks, the corner in question will drop in temp and the cooler air will disseminate around the cage.

I wouldn't personally worry until the night temps start staying above 75 in FL. In the summer you might even be using this method during the day if your house gets too hot and you don't have an AC. Might want to look at a veiled if you can't keep the house cool in the hot months.
thats genius but so simple

This site says..."The average daytime summer temperature at sea level is 85º F. (29.4 C) while the average daytime winter temperature is 78º (25.6º C). Temperatures at night are approximately 10º F. lower."....if this is true why would 72F be too warm for the Jacksons at night?
http://www.gohawaii.com/statewide/travel-tips/weather/
Funny thing is most caresheets that use Celcius that i've read talk about a 10C temperature drop putting night time temp between 15C-18C (59F -65F)... That ofc is not the same, but who's right?

They live mountain side so temperature will drop a bit more than on the average weather chart aimed at tourists.
I kinda tend to believe that the 10C drop would be more accurate than the 10F temperature drop.
I have wondered about this before and dit not find an answer to my satisfaction yet.

Jacksonii can take quite a bit colder than the 50F we set as a minimum for your average chameleon, according to some even to 0C (32F) as long as they can warm themselves properly the next day.

Bottom line is, let's ditch Farenheit, it does not make sense, Celcius is way better 0C is freezing point see simple!:p
While at it, use the metric system.:eek:

All I was trying to show is that if in Hawaii some Jacksons live/survive at 70ish degrees at night the OP's Jackson should be fine at 70 degrees at night too. Since the OP posted in Fahrenheit I posted in Fahrenheit. I kept dwarf Jacksons and some other montane species and the temperature in my house without lights/heat on them at night was 68F at the lowest and they did well.

All I was trying to show is that if in Hawaii some Jacksons live/survive at 70ish degrees at night the OP's Jackson should be fine at 70 degrees at night too. Since the OP posted in Fahrenheit I posted in Fahrenheit. I kept dwarf Jacksons and some other montane species and the temperature in my house without lights/heat on them at night was 68F at the lowest and they did well.
I have been looking for an answer to my satisfaction for as long as I have my Jacksonii and have not found one.
I'm trying to keep doing my 10C temperature drop to 15C, it has worked for me so far so I'm not about to change it, whatever they can take warmer is a margin.

The dangers of keeping them warmer is that they don't sleep deep enough and won't rest properly, CB will be more tolerable to higher temperatures and I bet there's even a difference between the WC from Kenya and Hawaii.
I don't want to advocate the 'max' temperature they can 'safely' take as a recommended one because you will lose your margin and you may run in to problems when summer comes.

But I guess whatever works, works... o_O

The poor man's ac with a ice bottle/jug behind a fan I would think works. I used to do it when out ac broke down at the house and it was quiet refreshing.

Simple fix.

So when I rushed to petco yesterday, the "nice" mister they had was the same price ($130) as the mistking..so I'll just order the good one and wait patiently.

However, I did the flat ice pack thing last night..and...got 64F!!! Now, my jax didn't go up to the corner that was 64..he stayed on his perch which runs 70 all night..but at least I'm giving him the option now...until his whole cage is a good temp..on a side note..he hasn't pooped in a few days..and now that his cage was colder last night there's a big ol piece of poop..coincidence? Lol

Thank you everybody for you're help, truly grateful for this site.

So when I rushed to petco yesterday, the "nice" mister they had was the same price ($130) as the mistking..so I'll just order the good one and wait patiently.

However, I did the flat ice pack thing last night..and...got 64F!!! Now, my jax didn't go up to the corner that was 64..he stayed on his perch which runs 70 all night..but at least I'm giving him the option now...until his whole cage is a good temp..on a side note..he hasn't pooped in a few days..and now that his cage was colder last night there's a big ol piece of poop..coincidence? Lol

Thank you everybody for you're help, truly grateful for this site.

I would say the sight of that ice pack up there just scared the poop out of him!:eek::D

Back
Top Bottom