Raised head question

Panth

Hello,

Since I've read about heads being raised being a respiratory infection, just wanted to check to see how much raising is normal. I have a male panther over a year old now that's head is sometimes tilted upward like in the photo below. Just seems like the position of the stick to me but best to check...

The temps are around 75 during the day and low 60s at night - basking temp is a bit lower now due to the old bulb busting so ordering a new one. Might be a bit constipated due to the basking temp dropping since its been about a week. Eating well, humidity over 70% during the day, higher at night, cage is 2x2x4.
IMG_1611.jpeg

Howdy! Welcome to the forums. Definitely get that basking light replaced - the heat should be between 80-85 degrees for basking.
As far as a tilted head, that *can* indicate a respiratory infection, but usually there are other signs. What is your humidity during the day? If he's also got stringy saliva, sleeping with his nose up at night, any sort of popping/crackling sounds or odd behavior, that can also indicate it.

Without context, the pose that you've posted there seems normal to me, as my guy will push up on his front legs especially when he's hunting black soldier flies bouncing around his enclosure. But if you're seeing any combo of the above things, it may be worth concern.

If you'd like, you can fill out the husbandry form and we can review the overall look at your chameleon care. That can help us determine if there's anything that might be off, and could be causal in what concerning behaviors you might be seeing. If you're interested in filling one out, copy and paste the below in a reply here and we can review it! :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  3. Please post photos of the entire enclosure, including the lighting and multiple pics of your cham for us to best see what you've got going on

His head is tilted in a normal way in the photo.

You can use a regular household incandescent light bulb for a basking bulb…wattage that puts the basking temperature in the low 80’sF range…in a metal hood.

Back
Top Bottom