Ivy almost died!

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
Yesterday evening I was laying on my bed watching my chams like always, the male is in a 2x3x5 enclosure and the female is in the corner free range beside him, they can’t see each other. I often leave the males door open while I watch him so I don’t have to look thorough the mesh on the door, well he finally got the sack to climb out onto the door after six months. I got up to catch the bugger and noticed that Ivy had seen him and was displaying her gravid coloration, I finished putting him away. I then proceeded to check on Ivy and to my horror she was flipped over hanging by one arm not breathing and her eyes where closed and bulging. I freaked and grabbed her, there was no response to my touch and she looked basically dead. I don’t give up so easily, I started to give her chest compressions and after about 30 seconds she began to breathe, it was labored but she was breathing. After about two minutes she regained consciousness and her strength slowly returned over the next hour. I placed her back in the free range and she went right back to basking, she also slept in her normal spot last night and seems completely fine this morning.

I have no clue wtf happened and was wondering if anyone had seen or heard of something like this happening before? I would be glad to post my husbandry if someone would post the form.

Bill

Of course I’m not asking you to do it again intentionally but I’d love to see this caught on tape. Maybe invest in one of those security cams that record on a loop. But since it’s in your bedroom that may not be the best idea! Lol
Lmao I doubt the wifey would allow a security cam in the bedroom.

I seriously hope it never happens again. I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning just to make sure she is fine.

Bill

Well she just drank and ate a roach, so yeah I have no clue what happened, but she seems to have recovered.

Last edited:
That must have been a horrifying experience for you! Stress induced cardiac arrest, perhaps? Maybe the vet will detect some sort of weakness in her heart. Maybe it was just a fluke. Bizarre!

I've never heard of such a thing in reptiles, but I've lost birds to acute stress on more than one occasion. Chickens, mostly, and a couple small aviary birds (budgie, a couple finches).

Any thoughts @kinyonga?

That must have been a horrifying experience for you! Stress induced cardiac arrest, perhaps? Maybe the vet will detect some sort of weakness in her heart. Maybe it was just a fluke. Bizarre!

I've never heard of such a thing in reptiles, but I've lost birds to acute stress on more than one occasion. Chickens, mostly, and a couple small aviary birds (budgie, a couple finches).

Any thoughts @kinyonga?
It was horrific! I love this little sweetheart so much and was terrified I had lost her... I’m still stressed to the max about it, I got up about every hour last night to check on her.

it’s extremely baffling because she has always been extremely healthy.

It’s a good thing I was there because she would have fallen 8ft to the ground if I hadn’t caught her. She would have definitely broken a lot of bones with a fall that far I would think.

I’m halfway tempted to put a cargo net below the top area in case she does it again.

They mated on the 9th of December so she is currently gravid.

Moving forward Jungle Jim is SOL because I’m never going to breed Ivy again.

It’s a good thing I was there because she would have fallen 8ft to the ground if I hadn’t caught her. She would have definitely broken a lot of bones with a fall that far I would think.

I’m halfway tempted to put a cargo net below the top area in case she does it again.
I have nothing to add except you would be very surprised of the impact a healthy Chameleon can take . My septiseye took a fall not to long ago . I was in a complete panic hit up some of my friends in here to see their thoughts . With in an hour I had him at vet . Not one broken bone he fell at least 5 feet on to hard wood . Thank god he was ok . Prayers for your girl it was a fluke . Please keep us posted on her vet visit.

Last edited:
I have nothing to add except you would be very surprised of the impact a healthy Chameleon can take . My septiseye took a fall not to long ago . I was in a complete panic hit up some of my friends in here to see their thoughts . With in an hour I had him at vet . Not one broken bone he fell at least 5 feet on to hard wood . Thank god he was ok . Prayers for your girl it was a fluke . Please keep us posted on her vet visit.
That’s crazy, thanks for the prayers and I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Bill

[QUOTE="Reptofreak, post: 1537965, member: 57027"

[/QUOTE]
Maybe try carpet? The net IMO is a really good idea for free ranges especially.

[QUOTE="Reptofreak, post: 1537965, member: 57027"

Maybe try carpet? The net IMO is a really good idea for free ranges especially.
[/QUOTE]
I’ll tell you I was so temped to after septiseye fall . His was not in his condo and it was completely my fault :confused: . I would like to put a huge net in the whole condo .

[QUOTE="Kristen Wilkins, post: 1537985,
[/QUOTE]
I’ll tell you I was so temped to after septiseye fall . His was not in his condo and it was completely my fault :confused: . I would like to put a huge net in the whole condo .
[/QUOTE]
I’m going to hobby lobby tomorrow and going to get some cargo net. I mean, why not? It will look cool and be an excellent safety measure.

Bill

[QUOTE="Kristen Wilkins, post: 1537985,
[/QUOTE]
I’m going to hobby lobby tomorrow and going to get some cargo net. I mean, why not? It will look cool and be an excellent safety measure.

Bill
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely I agree . Septiseye is really free ranged , he our wonder!. He hates his condo he believes the only time he should be in there is to sleep . ( me the human is adding the hate part ) .

I wish I had a good answer for you. I have seen th odd chameleon drop dead from a shock...so it could bepossible. Just can't be sure.
Yeah I agree there is really no clear way to deduce what happened. But I think a trip to the vet tomorrow will help ease my mind at least.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom