It`s not great news

sallyb

Avid Member
Gizzy was taken for her op at 3.30pm this evening - the vet promised to call as soon as the op was done. After waiting the last 4hours i have just rung them. The vet explained that the three scenarios we had gone through this morning from creating the folicles on her ovaries, folicles forming and then eggs had all been happening at once. The vets said they have never known this to happen and cannot explain how it did. She was full of a milky fluid in her abdomen which is why the op took so long. They flushed the abdomen countless times. :(

The good news is that she is now breathing for herself and her heart beat is very strong and she has returned to her usual beautiful green self. The vet said that she would have died within days had we not gone ahead as nobody realised (not even with xrays) that it was this bad, however all things consider the op has gone well. The next 12hours will be critical and the vet is going to call me with an update at 11pm. Fingers crossed that our beautiful girl will find the strength to stay with us.

Wow thats intence it is sooo amazing that she is ok after a sergery like that I hope she recovers 100% soon just curious around what would a vet bill like that be

Thanks guys, she certainly has a will of iron so hopefully she`ll find the stregth somewhere.

Richey - To be honest i would pay anything at all to have her home and well, but the bill began at £430, but i think it may become considerably more now. She has had xrays, bloods, the 4hr op and will probably stay over another two days in the vets. Most importantly she has vet who already thinks the world of her and is determined to get her well again.

The vet explained that the three scenarios we had gone through this morning from creating the folicles on her ovaries, folicles forming and then eggs had all been happening at once. The vets said they have never known this to happen and cannot explain how it did.

I've heard similar results from other hobbyists who had gravid females undergo surgery. The cycle from follicle to egg can be distorted by overly fast grown when juveniles, overfeeding, and a sort of "super nutrition" we give our captive animals. Once the pattern gets going it is hard to stop or slow. Sorry I'm not an expert and can only try to repeat some of what I have heard from others.

But, I also remember several stories about gravid chams who survived more than one surgery to remove eggs, who were finally spayed, and lived for years. Keep up the good care and we'll be hoping along with you!

I was just woundering what a big surgery like that would cost so i can put away money incase somthing ever happend knock on wood it dosent

I agreed with you that it is not great news, but the wonderful news is that she is hanging in. My thoughts are with you both. Everything I have is crossed. Let me know how things are going when you get an update.

Thats really amazing. The thing to stay focused on is that she is being strong and hanging in there. You should be proud of her. She seems, based on what you said, that shes the survivor type. Plus, the fact that your vet is so caring and dedicated can only help her more. Our hearts and hope go out to you and your little curly tailed green one. (She clearly has a good mommy to take this much care and concern for her:))

Good news !!! The vet just called me, he decided to stick around with Gizzy rather than get off home. She is now awake, a lovely colour and clambering around the viv. :D It`s still touch and go for a while, but she`s certainly determined to give it her best and she cannot ask for a more caring vet.

I was just woundering what a big surgery like that would cost so i can put away money incase somthing ever happend knock on wood it dosent

No way to predict as all vets are different. I'd suggest asking your own herp vet what such a thing might cost you. Start a savings account for vet expenses either way just to be ready for anything else that might come up.

Sally, I am so glad you found a brilliant vet! He sounds just wonderful. I too have everything crossed for you and Gizzy. Poor little girl - if only they could tell us how they are feeling. They hide things so well - good job for being on the ball and realising something was wrong. When my male glider was poorly I was lucky enough to find a wonderful vet too - he even operated on his day off and did a whole load of research into gliders as they had never seen one before at the surgery. I would be exactly the same as you - whatever the cost it would be done, money really doesn't matter if it means they can be well again.

You should be proud of yourself for making the decision you did. You certainly didn't have a lot of time, and I'm glad it worked out. I hope everything goes well from here.

I hope things look up from this point. You did the right thing for her. Keep us updated and again wishing the best your way and hers!

Brilliant news !! The vet just called and said that Gizzy is doing unbelievably well as we spoke she was dangling upside down in a tree. The vet actually stayed with her until gone 11pm last night and was back at 7am this morning to check in her. She woke up and began clambering around and has been full of the joys of spring this morning, the wounds look great and her colours perfect too. :D We thought she was staying until tomorrow, but the vet is so pleased that he is happy for her to return home today as she has had an antibiotic injection and can bring home pain relief. :D:D:D They are all amazed at her recovery. She just needs to go back on monday for a repeat antibiotic and check up. Fingers crossed she will make a complete recovery.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and wishes - they really helped a lot. :) Now we just need to extract her from the vet as he has taken rather a shine to her ;)

Oh, Sally, that 's brilliant! She's such a little fighter isn't she! She probably feels much better now, bless her! I'm so glad you went with your insincts that something was wrong- I think you and the vet have saved her life! Hope she ciontinues to make a speedy recovery.:D

Back
Top Bottom