It’s me again, the overly paranoid new keeper

I am typically fogging from 2:30-5:30 and the lights come on at 7-730 starting with the plant and ubv and then at 7:30 the heat.

Beman, I am now concerned about getting him out of his enclosure too. He’s been turning in quite early. So I’m going to have to take him from his resting/bed branch when it’s time to go.. any advice for that as well?

Beman, I am now concerned about getting him out of his enclosure too. He’s been turning in quite early. So I’m going to have to take him from his resting/bed branch when it’s time to go.. any advice for that as well?
Go ahead and get him out while he is awake... Then put him into the dark box with a branch about an inch from the bottom for him to grip onto. Make sure you have air holes in the box. And then he will be ready to go when you do.

Is the vet an actual reptile vet?

I am typically fogging from 2:30-5:30 and the lights come on at 7-730 starting with the plant and ubv and then at 7:30 the heat.
Ok change up your fogging 1-4am then this will give it time for levels to start dropping and moisture to evaporate before first lights start kicking on.

Go ahead and get him out while he is awake... Then put him into the dark box with a branch about an inch from the bottom for him to grip onto. Make sure you have air holes in the box. And then he will be ready to go when you do. Is the vet an actual reptile vet?
Go ahead and get him out while he is awake... Then put him into the dark box with a branch about an inch from the bottom for him to grip onto. Make sure you have air holes in the box. And then he will be ready to go when you do. Is the vet an actual reptile vet?
Ok change up your fogging 1-4am then this will give it time for levels to start dropping and moisture to evaporate before first lights start kicking on.
Yes they are a reptile vet from the arav list. Unfortunately he has already gotten into his bed time position but I’ll definitely get him out before he’s going to sleep. I also have noticed that he’s more of a gray the last two nights when he has his “resting Color’s” and generally is bright Green 😞 I feel so bad for him. Thank you for your help. I’ll reduce fogging and I’ll let you know how the visit goes.

Jeb is being seen now but there was another emergency that came in at the same time, I didn’t realise I would not be allowed to go with him

Last edited:
Well I just spoke with the vet and they will give him fluids under the skin because they think he’s a bit dehydrated and an oral antibiotic. They thought something was wrong with him because he has yellow lips… I’m a little concerned they might not really know what they are doing. I haven’t been told what the anti biotic is yet. I have to work in 3 hours and still need to get him home before then as I am a couple hours from home. I will update as soon as possible. Thanks for everyone’s support.

the antibiotic is entrofluxin (I’m pretty sure I slaughtered the spelling. It’s late. Which I read in another thread someone referring to it as the big guns. I’m honestly so discouraged, they said they could do an X-ray or blood work to find out if he had an upper respiratory infection for sure but he would need to stay at the clinic until after I got off work and it was going to be around 1,200 dollars out the door. While I’m prepared to do what it takes I did not have much confidence in this place. So now I have these “big guns” antibiotics and a chameleon that is very upset … never seen the Color’s I saw tonight nor the huge flare up and hissing like he was. He’s generally pretty calm and I am super gentle with him. I was able to grab him and put him in the box gently without him so much as puffing up. Now he’s super angry and it was like he was glowing in the dark almost. I’m just heart broken for him. I’ll spare you guys anymore whining. Just not sure what the answer is now… a vet that is qualified… do I give him the meds. I don’t know if he’ll even let me get near him now. That experience really made him aggressive and angry.

Sounds like enrofloxacin, which is Baytril. That’s a pretty commonly used antibiotic, so don’t despair. What is the dosing? How much and how often? It’s metabolized by the kidneys, so make sure to maybe add an extra opportunity for drinking and/or offer some juicy hornworms or silkworms. Since the vet didn’t know that cham mouths can be yellow, yeah…maybe they don’t have a lot of experience with them. Doesn’t necessarily mean that they have zero experience or knowledge though. Anytime we remove our chams from their homes, they are usually going to hate it and us. It can’t be helped and he’ll get over it.

Sounds like enrofloxacin, which is Baytril. That’s a pretty commonly used antibiotic, so don’t despair. What is the dosing? How much and how often? It’s metabolized by the kidneys, so make sure to maybe add an extra opportunity for drinking and/or offer some juicy hornworms or silkworms. Since the vet didn’t know that cham mouths can be yellow, yeah…maybe they don’t have a lot of experience with them. Doesn’t necessarily mean that they have zero experience or knowledge though. Anytime we remove our chams from their homes, they are usually going to hate it and us. It can’t be helped and he’ll get over it.
Thank you! I just didn’t realise how attached and in love I am with the little dude, just broke my heart. I’m not sure the dosing I’ll double check when I get home. I was just concerned I did more harm than good stressing him out that bad. It also helped me realise if he was upset or mad I’d know 😳 I’m just a one woman circus guys I do apologise.

Well, the concentration is 50 mg per ml, but are you giving him a full ml? I don’t recall the concentration of Baytril that I’ve been given for my chams, but the dose was usually something like 0.2 or 0.4ml twice a day. Unfortunately I never wrote the details down and my vet didn’t provide it on the receipt.
You’re fortunate to have a 24hr emergency vet that sees exotics, but that price! :oops: My shih tzu used to only get really sick after hours and it was $100 basically just to walk in the door of the emergency vet. SMH.

Well, the concentration is 50 mg per ml, but are you giving him a full ml? I don’t recall the concentration of Baytril that I’ve been given for my chams, but the dose was usually something like 0.2 or 0.4ml twice a day. Unfortunately I never wrote the details down and my vet didn’t provide it on the receipt.
You’re fortunate to have a 24hr emergency vet that sees exotics, but that price! :oops: My shih tzu used to only get really sick after hours and it was $100 basically just to walk in the door of the emergency vet. SMH.
Yeah and I could have had blood work done but then it would have gone up significantly for him to stay and for that to be done. I am lucky you are right. I just think I’d like to find someone that works with them a bit more but I realise that can be a pretty big challenge. I dont know why I thought that would be helpful without the dosing 🤪 I’ll look at the bottle when I get home: thanks again

Yeah and I could have had blood work done but then it would have gone up significantly for him to stay and for that to be done. I am lucky you are right. I just think I’d like to find someone that works with them a bit more but I realise that can be a pretty big challenge. I dont know why I thought that would be helpful without the dosing 🤪 I’ll look at the bottle when I get home: thanks again
Why can’t I DM you? Is it my iPad being a jerk? I just wanted to caution you about posting your name and address like it shows on the receipt. As a fan of Forensic Files and similar, I believe we can never be too safe. Maybe you can still edit your post? If not, Brad can help.

Double check the dosage like @MissSkittles said. He should mellow once he is in his home. I am sorry hun. It is never fun when we have to go through something like this with them.

Why can’t I DM you? Is it my iPad being a jerk? I just wanted to caution you about posting your name and address like it shows on the receipt. As a fan of Forensic Files and similar, I believe we can never be too safe. Maybe you can still edit your post? If not, Brad can help.
Weird! Oh I know I thought I deleted it because I too am a fan and thought how did I make that rookie mistake 😂 do you still see it? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Thank you! I just didn’t realise how attached and in love I am with the little dude, just broke my heart. I’m not sure the dosing I’ll double check when I get home. I was just concerned I did more harm than good stressing him out that bad. It also helped me realise if he was upset or mad I’d know 😳 I’m just a one woman circus guys I do apologise.
I feel you. When I took my panther to the vet over and over again because I knew something was wrong, it was really hard. I knew I was stressing him out but it was a necessary evil to find out what was going on so we could treat him. I just gave him as much space as possible after and let him do his thing and anytime I had to go near him I brought him a treat so he could start to associate me with some positive experiences. It maybe took him about a month to start to warm up to me a little again. I am sorry you and he had such a rough experience, however, you are doing the best you can to care for your guy. Deep breaths, he will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom