SMCNARY

Established Member
upa7y3uh.jpg
6a7apaba.jpg
e5edeza7.jpg
quvejemu.jpg
terurapy.jpg
a9enyzyq.jpg

How long does it take to establish a new colony of Isopods? And how many of these guys do you feed your chams weekly?

How long does it take to establish a new colony of Isopods? And how many of these guys do you feed your chams weekly?

It depends on the type of Isopod! Some breed fast and some breed slow,on an average it takes 2-3 months. I got some extra so I could feed some off and still have enough to get 3 colonies going. If you want to have some to feed as well as some to establish a breeding colony then I suggest you set up one for feeders and one you do not touch so that they have time to get established. I have 3 different types and fed off quite a few but now am going to let them alone to get going. One type I have are orange and the chams love them but they breed slower so I have to let them alone for a while.

Side note: Do not feed any from outdoors. If you start a colony with ones from outside, be sure to remove them as the colony develops. Isopods are bottom scavengers and are full of bad stuff by the time you find them!

It depends on the type of Isopod! Some breed fast and some breed slow,on an average it takes 2-3 months. I got some extra so I could feed some off and still have enough to get 3 colonies going. If you want to have some to feed as well as some to establish a breeding colony then I suggest you set up one for feeders and one you do not touch so that they have time to get established. I have 3 different types and fed off quite a few but now am going to let them alone to get going. One type I have are orange and the chams love them but they breed slower so I have to let them alone for a while.

What types do you have? Which ones do you consider the easiest I tried to do a colony once... then forgot i had them! whoops. Dry isopods are dead isopods :(

Side note: Do not feed any from outdoors. If you start a colony with ones from outside, be sure to remove them as the colony develops. Isopods are bottom scavengers and are full of bad stuff by the time you find them!

What types do you have? Which ones do you consider the easiest I tried to do a colony once... then forgot i had them! whoops. Dry isopods are dead isopods :(

Yes I know they store bad stuff(metals etc.) in there tissue so I would not use wild caught!!! I have Tan,Florida brown and an orange variety. The orange are my chams favorite but r the hardest of the three and breed slower then the others. Florida brown r very easy,call or google doubled's Dexter and Debbie and they can hook u up!!!

(

is that for all of them, or just "city" ones- lol - we have them all over, if I were to start a colony, would you just put in big ones, and then when you see small ones, just pick out the big? I would like to try these also :)

you might find this blog entry useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...orcellio-pillbugs-woodlice-rollie-pollie.html

I started with "city" ones. took about a year for my colony to be useful

I suggest starting with most pregnant adults. after you've got enough babies, return the adults to the wild

Thanks !! I just love all your blogs, I was just reading your gut loading ones today :)

so ALL wild ones are bad?
it is too funny- my husband saw me out in the wood pile, and asked " you are not getting bugs to bring in here are you !" - " NO, I am getting Isopods" I told him - "ok, I dont want you bringing any more bugs in here" well........ really they are not bugs ;) :rolleyes: :p ( my poor husband - lol - he just does not see the up side of having a whole woods full of feeders- lol )

Thanks !! I just love all your blogs, I was just reading your gut loading ones today :)

it is too funny- my husband saw me out in the wood pile, and asked " you are not getting bugs to bring in here are you !" - " NO, I am getting Isopods" I told him - "ok, I dont want you bringing any more bugs in here" well........ really they are not bugs ;) :rolleyes: :p ( my poor husband - lol - he just does not see the up side of having a whole woods full of feeders- lol )

LOL!! that was too funny :D thanks for making me laugh on a Tuesday morning!! :)

youre welcome. Glad you like them.

all wild ones have the potential to carry heavy metals and parasites.
I suspect that offering one or two wild ones, as a test to see if your chameleon even likes them (most really do), would be acceptable risk. But I wouldn't use wild ones typically.

Back
Top Bottom