Isopod help

Blustrgzr

Established Member
I have the ability to get orange, milk cow, or mini white Isopods. Is one better over the other? Would one of the three overtake the others if I had more than one kind? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I have the ability to get orange, milk cow, or mini white Isopods. Is one better over the other? Would one of the three overtake the others if I had more than one kind? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Most likely the one that breeds faster will take over.
Ask our fellow member, he has knowledge on this, and also has some Isos on deck. @jamest0o0

Did you decide to go bioactive then? Of the three choices you have there, I'd go dairy cow. P. scaber orange and p. pruinosis "powder orange" are "scary" when it comes to protein (read as hella good animal eaters). These pics are kind of gross but, they were taken over 3 day period in the powder orange tub, the scabers did the same in two days if i remember correctly.

After 1 day
Screenshot_20191011-093545.png

After two days

Screenshot_20191011-093555.png

Third day

Screenshot_20191011-093605.png

Last edited:
Did you decide to go bioactive then?
Yes, I def. want to do bioactive. I still don't have my boy yet. My enclosure arrives today. I have a local person who I'm getting all of my plants from. I also have a local reptile shop where I'll get my feeders for now, until I figure out if I'm just going to raise my own. I will either start my bioactive separately, and then make the switch when it's ready, or wait to get my boy until my bioactive is started.

Did you decide to go bioactive then? Of the three choices you have there, I'd go dairy cow. P. scaber orange and p. pruinosis "powder orange" are "scary" when it comes to protein (read as hella good animal eaters). These pics are kind of gross but, they were taken over 3 day period in the powder orange tub, the scabers did the same in two days if i remember correctly.

After 1 day
View attachment 248308

After two days

View attachment 248309

Third day

View attachment 248310
Ha, I missed the pictures somehow. That is pretty crazy! I'll get the dairy cows then! Thanks for the advice!

Dairy cow are cool, and they get to be a decent size. Giant Canyon are also a popular choice, and also large. I use dwarf white in all cages plus giant canyon.

Ive added powder orange to clarice’s cage as a) they are very active and out in the open, b) they reproduce quickly so shes less likely to completely wipe them out, and c) they’ll eat her unfertilized eggs faster than the others.

Dairy cow are cool, and they get to be a decent size. Giant Canyon are also a popular choice, and also large. I use dwarf white in all cages plus giant canyon.

Ive added powder orange to clarice’s cage as a) they are very active and out in the open, b) they reproduce quickly so shes less likely to completely wipe them out, and c) they’ll eat her unfertilized eggs faster than the others.
I couldn't find the giant canon local, but I did find some i could order. Did you notice that one overpowered the other though? I thought I had read that sometimes when you combine them, one will usually overtake the others. But I could be wrong lol Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I couldn't find the giant canon local, but I did find some i could order. Did you notice that one overpowered the other though? I thought I had read that sometimes when you combine them, one will usually overtake the others. But I could be wrong lol Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

The dwarf white tend to stay in/under the soil, and the giant canyon are more visible on the surface. I don't think they are competing with each other much... and there is plenty of food via cham poop, dead bug parts, leaf litter, and other organic bits. I'd imagine if food was scarce, then their numbers would thin out.

I know @jamest0o0 has both, as well as some other types.

they guy I mentioned earlier has Giant Canyon Isos if I'm not mistaken

If you're going to mix, I'd do the dwarf whites and dairy cow. I won't mix after having my tub of p. ornatus invaded by powder orange and scaber orange and numbers severely reduced. That is why I now only use the gasket tubs I mentioned in the other thread for masters. I may pm James to see if he'll sell me back some of the ornatus I sent him :unsure: .

Last edited:
The dwarf white tend to stay in/under the soil, and the giant canyon are more visible on the surface. I don't think they are competing with each other much... and there is plenty of food via cham poop, dead bug parts, leaf litter, and other organic bits. I'd imagine if food was scarce, then their numbers would thin out.

I know @jamest0o0 has both, as well as some other types.
Awesome, I'll wait to see if James responds, and see if I can get some from him then! Thanks for the reply!:)

If you're going to mix, I'd do the dwarf whites and dairy cow. I won't mix after having my tub of p. ornatus invaded by powder orange and scaber orange and numbers severely reduced. That is why I now only use the gasket tubs I mentioned in the other thread for masters. I may pm James to see if he'll sell me back some of the ornatus I sent him :unsure: .
Oh the orange invaded yours? Well no orange for me then lol

I will definitely stop today and get some of those tubs though!

Oh the orange invaded yours? Well no orange for me then lol

Yes, like James I have several species, in fact we've traded some stuff before so some of his is out of my collection and vice versa lol. I started all my colonies in mainstays latch top 15 qt and have had them escape that style tub. I've found zebra, giant canyon, powder orange, p. scaber orange and dalmation elsewhere in my house no where near the room they are in when in those style tubs. The ones that stayed put where the dwarf purple, silvestrii, ornatus, hoffmanseggi, a. vulgare. But, both the powder orange and scaber orange found their way into the ornatus tub and reduced my numbers a lot. Mind you, ornatus is not a shy iso by any means so seeing them wiped out the way were was a big surprise.

Back
Top Bottom