Isopod feeders

Giant canyon isopods are great CuC and as for using them as feeders you can feed them once in awhile but not to often because they are high in phosphorus? @jamest0o0 i need my bug master, to much League of leagued on my mind not enough bug info

I've always read that they are extremely high in calcium. To be honest I can't find much on it. They do feed on a lot of calcium and protein, so hard to say.

Problem with tongs for roaches... they only really work for dubia. Most other roach species(the ones chams actually enjoy eating) are too quick or slippery to grab. I didn't like touching them either at first, took me a while, used gloves, etc. Eventually I was desensitized to them and got sick of fooling around with them for 30 minutes a day trying to pull some out. Face your fears :cool:

A little trick you could do is put a dish with food in the roach bin that they can climb into, but not out.

Problem with tongs for roaches... they only really work for dubia. Most other roach species(the ones chams actually enjoy eating) are too quick or slippery to grab. I didn't like touching them either at first, took me a while, used gloves, etc. Eventually I was desensitized to them and got sick of fooling around with them for 30 minutes a day trying to pull some out. Face your fears :cool:

A little trick you could do is put a dish with food in the roach bin that they can climb into, but not out.
I don’t mind the baby and younger roaches. I’ll touch those if I have to. It’s their mommies and daddies that I can’t/won’t touch. They’re just too big and something about the wings...~shivers~

Never saw one irl, but don’t they hiss (hence their name)? I feel bad enough when my discoids squeak in distress as I’m getting them ready to be a cham meal. ?
Only the adults hiss the juvenile ones do not hiss. I get hisser at from just looking at my hisser been sometimes. They have cute little horns like unicorns?

OK—the skeevy factor. I don't "hand" feed them (difficult for me to hang on to), but I do occasionally feed them using a forceps tweezers. No biggie.

I agree with this, except that dubias of appropriate feeding size remind me more of isopods (roly-polies). :)

Dubias aren't going to breed in your house unless you live in one of the states where they're illegal anyway (which is why they're illegal in those states). The only ones I've ever had escape weren't big enough to reproduce, and wouldn't survive long enough to. For whatever reason, IME they die within a day or two when outside the colony.

I don't (have to) handle them per se; I either pick them up with the forceps, or tap them into a feeder bowl much the same as a cricket tube, which I find works very well.

The key word was variety. It's probably more a question of interpretation whether I use them as a staple or supplemental feeder. I often (usually?) put both in the feeder bowl together, with a higher ratio of dubias (by weight).

BSFL are fine as a staple (again, variety) and don't require dusting with calcium—they're high in calcium on their own (see nutrition charts). My experiences with them were not good, and eventually, they just weren't worth the trouble for me. Others swear by 'em and I wouldn't argue.
Thank you for the info.

If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re you experienced with bsfl?? I just want to know before I get into something

Isopods are Charlie’s fav snack. We have a thing where I go to his cage and “ready... set... go!” And he races to catch the isopods when I hold up a piece of cork.

My veileds will hang around the bottom of the cage to hunt them.

Giant Canyon is best bang for the buck due to their size, temperment, and reproduction. I like powder orange, too, as they are super active and reproduce extremely fast... but they are also ravenous so they need plenty of food and plenty of space if in a cham cage.

I’m teasing her, but I’m quite serious about it lmao. I have been wondering for a while how many dubias a day a person would need to be healthy?

Insect farming is now a booming business!! Many people in the US now eat crickets, mealworms, etc as a source of renewable protein - with less cost and impact than animal protein. I recall seeing a recipe for mealworms sprinkled on salad in place of croutons.

Ew.

I’m teasing her, but I’m quite serious about it lmao. I have been wondering for a while how many dubias a day a person would need to be healthy?
Been wondering the same thing
Insect farming is now a booming business!! Many people in the US now eat crickets, mealworms, etc as a source of renewable protein - with less cost and impact than animal protein. I recall seeing a recipe for mealworms sprinkled on salad in place of croutons.

Ew.
ummmm yes plz, I can’t eat croutons because I’m a snowflake that has a gluten allergy

Been wondering the same thing

ummmm yes plz, I can’t eat croutons because I’m a snowflake that has a gluten allergy

Hope you give my recipe 5 stars! Im super serious though! There’s tons of studies about the nutrition of our feeders because people are now eating them as part of their “normal” diet. Ew!

Back
Top Bottom