Is this sufficient enough?

Hello, I am thinking of starting a dubia roach colony the only thing needed is a container. Is a 7" high, 18" long, and 12" wide container sufficient for a small colony of about 50? Thanks, Drago.

Yes it is but you will have very little space to stack eggs crates. I would worry every time I opened it. I would get a cheap container at a dollar store or a Walmart type store, a I use a tub that is 18 long, 14 wide, and 14 high. That keeps several hundred dubia. No way I would ever bother to count them. Ugh!

I am trying in the dark, on my ipad, with no glasses so I hope this is readable.

Hello, I am thinking of starting a dubia roach colony the only thing needed is a container. Is a 7" high, 18" long, and 12" wide container sufficient for a small colony of about 50? Thanks, Drago.

It won't be for very long once your colony gets going (if you intend to let them start producing). I use a Rubbermaid tub as Laurie suggested. This will provide room to stack cartons that provide a lot more 3 dimensional space for the roaches. Try to place the egg cartons vertically so more of the frass drops to the bottom of the tub. Easier to clean. Cut a vent in the lid and glue screen over it. Dubias are not great climbers, but the nymphs will try.

I use a bin with a square cut out on top with screen I super glued over it. I use Heat emitter over the screen to keep temps up for breeding purposes.

Back
Top Bottom