Should i start a colony?

You can start with 1-2 males and 4-5 female adults. It will take a couple of months for them to reproduce. I’m not sure how many babies each female can have at one time, but I think it’s probably around 8-10. @jamest0o0 is the forum’s bug lord and not sure if he’s around much at this time, but he would have these answers. I have beardies that can’t possibly eat all of the greens (turnip, mustard, dandelion, collard), squashes (butternut, yellow, zucchini), sweet or bell pepper, blueberries & raspberries, etc before they all spoil. I also add in some sweet potato and Repashy Bug Burger. I don’t feed them any grains as a rule.
I was thinking in bigger numbers to kickstart it a bit faster, like maybe 20 adults and 10 subadults, then feed small ones as they are born. If i don't want to purchase anything extra for them to nibble on, would basic stuff like oranges, apples, carrots, some greens work for them? How do you supply water? I forgot all i learned few months back..

I was thinking in bigger numbers to kickstart it a bit faster, like maybe 20 adults and 10 subadults, then feed small ones as they are born. If i don't want to purchase anything extra for them to nibble on, would basic stuff like oranges, apples, carrots, some greens work for them? How do you supply water? I forgot all i learned few months back..
Yes, you can start as big or small as you like. Having several females to one male is what is the most important. I think most people give them scraps and bits of produce that they themselves eat. I don’t provide any water source most of the time. They usually get plenty of hydration from the foods I give and I will give the food a spray or two of water. When it’s really hot, I will give water gel stuff.

I live in new england and for my dubias i keep them in 2 plastic tubs the bottom tub has water and a aquarium heater then the 2nd sits inside it. My tub stays at 88° in my basements 60° ambient. My colony always has babies. They get fed organic greens with fruits. I also give them bug burger once a week or so. I have noticed better production once i started feeding burger.

I just purchased a colony of Shadow roaches. Similar to Surinam roaches, they are parthenogenetic. They also live in the soil and only come up to eat. I hope to get a good amount going to feed my group of chams. They say they are prolific.

I just purchased a colony of Shadow roaches. Similar to Surinam roaches, they are parthenogenetic. They also live in the soil and only come up to eat. I hope to get a good amount going to feed my group of chams. They say they are prolific.
If they are anything like Surinam, you’ll have a ton of them before you know it.

Do make sure to keep them in a bin that has a good seal and smear just below the top with something like Vaseline if they are good climbers.

Back
Top Bottom