How long does it take for a roach colony to be sustainable for 1 chameleon?

lurker9090

Established Member
So, I officially have 2 adult males and about 5 adult female roaches. And about 35 juveniles/sub-adults. Ive been avoiding feeding them to my cham for as long as possible so it can get bigger.
About how many adult females/males will i need before i can feed Chester every day without hurting my colony too much?

As long as the colony is set up right they should start multiplying pretty quickly. Then you will start feeding off the small ones.

I personally would not touch the colony for a month or probably longer if you can help it. I usually get separate dubies specifically to feed off. As long as your temps are right and the feeding is appropriate, you should have a bunch in a short time. They have always been the easiest feeder for me to try to breed. But continuous interaction with them can affect breeding - at least I have always been told that.

I’ve no idea what their gestation times are, but I’ll leave my colony to do their thing for a couple of months and then will go in and collect the nymphs. I keep the feeder nymphs seperate rom the breeding adults.

I’ve no idea what their gestation times are, but I’ll leave my colony to do their thing for a couple of months and then will go in and collect the nymphs. I keep the feeder nymphs seperate rom the breeding adults.
Can i ask what happens if i dont seperate? Will i have more success by seperating?

Can i ask what happens if i dont seperate? Will i have more success by seperating?
I just separate them to make it easier for myself. The adults freak me out and I don’t want to risk touching them or having them crawl on me. Also, they can be a bit sensitive to me digging around in their ‘house’. I keep them bioactively, so it’s a bit more disturbance to find and remove the babies.

I’ve got one of those. I may give it a go. I need to start breeding all my bugs with the amount of food I’m going through each month.
I have them in a 5 gal fish tank heating pad on bottom with egg crates to climb on and a box in the corner with a flap door for hiding…. I think the box is where the funny business happens 😂 but that’s just my guess I never go in there.

Back
Top Bottom