Is This Plant Safe?

funnyCAT140

Established Member
Hello, I'm planning on getting a veiled chameleon soon, but I want to get the cage completely ready first. I believe this is a type of umbrella plant but I'm not 100% sure because someone gave us 3 of these and they didn't come with a tag. I've heard that umbrella plants with large, droopy leaves are toxic, so I'm pretty sure this one won't work. I'm only 15, but I've had reptiles for 4 years and I've done research on chameleons for 3 years now, I'm not the type of person who's parents say they can get an animal so they go out and buy one unprepared. It will be months before I buy one, and I'm going to a reptile expo to meet Cham breeders in my area before I purchase one. I would appreciate it if you guys can tell me if this plant is safe and tell me some of your favorite plants to use for veileds, also tips for a beginner Cham owner would be awesome! Thank you!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You're right it's a schefflera. I use it with my one panther, haven't heard of them being toxic. Most plants are to some degree, it really depends on how toxic. That plant should be fine.

Another vote for safe, its an umbrella tree, so its as safe as a potho. if you have a dog/cat that is dumb enough to eat the leave, they will come out the other end undigested, and its not a pleasant journey.

I'm just concerned that this might be a schefflera actinophylla, which are mildly toxic, because the leaves are pretty big.

Just watch closely for ingestion. If so, make it a house plant. My boy loves to hangout in the plant but never chews on them. You can try to feed greens to keep the plant from being devoured

I'm just concerned that this might be a schefflera actinophylla, which are mildly toxic, because the leaves are pretty big.

Im confused. I assumed it was a actinophylla. Its like a potho, mildly toxic to mammals,not toxic for reptiles. Its perfectly fine for both to be nom nommed on by veilds, in fact they find new growth leaves a tasty treat.

Im confused. I assumed it was a actinophylla. Its like a potho, mildly toxic to mammals,not toxic for reptiles. Its perfectly fine for both to be nom nommed on by veilds, in fact they find new growth leaves a tasty treat.

Other Cham owners said on other threads that actinophylla was mildly toxic and shouldn't be used in a veileds enclosure and that only schefflera arboricola should be used.

Ok I just double checked and they said they should be fine for a veiled and they would have to eat a lot for it to have any ill effect, so I will probably put it in. It seems that the people that actually use it says it doesn't bother the chameleon and people that haven't used it says it's dangerous.

I want to apologize @nightanole if I seemed like I was trying to say I knew more than you, that's not at all what I intended, you guys know way more then me. I just get nervous when I get a new pet that I haven't had before and want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

I think everyone gets super nervous when they first have chams. I was obsessing on the daily. Over time you come to realize that a lot of people blow things out of proportion and worry about non issues. @nightanole knows a lot, I've personally learned a lot from reading his posts here.

I want to apologize @nightanole if I seemed like I was trying to say I knew more than you, that's not at all what I intended, you guys know way more then me. I just get nervous when I get a new pet that I haven't had before and want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Its ok, we enjoy watching the heart attack posts when they come home and the ends off all the new growth pothos are missing :)

In the very early days we didnt even know vields ate greens.

About the only bad plant i know if is one they use for shrubbery in Florida, an its the sap that causes and eye irritant. I cant recall the name right now.

Back
Top Bottom