is this gout?

jojothefirst

I have been given a veiled cham today who has a swollen right eye, veil and limbs. He also has lumbs behind his eyes.
He was drinking from a waterfall instead of being misted (which he did a lot so I dont think he was dehidrated) and he was being fed on morio worms which were gutloaded on carrots.
Im no expert but think he may have gout from the carrot.
Could you guys give me some input please?

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/JOJOTHEFIRST/?action=view&current=IMAG0782.jpg
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/JOJOTHEFIRST/?action=view&current=IMAG0783.jpg
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/JOJOTHEFIRST/?action=view&current=IMAG0784.jpg

I am not sure about the gout but you should move his light to where he can not touch it. They tend to get very hot and will burn him. he also does look a little dehydrated and stressed I would give him a couple days to adjust to his home.

Edit: it couldnt hurt to get him checked out at a vet who looks at exotics. waterfalls are bad for bacteria so thumbs up for removing it. but I would seek out a vet for him just to make sure he is okay.

It doesn't look like gout because the joints don't appear swollen in the pictures. Maybe better pictures because I don't see swollen limbs from that angle. Gout is caused by uric acid buildup, which is from excessive protein. So carrots wouldn't cause gout, but chronic dehydration and/or dog and cat food for gutloading can. Sounds like he's in better hands now!

Edit - he's going to burn himself on that light!! That needs to be removed immediately! Chams can die from being burned too badly and he can obviously get to the bulb!

I am not sure about the gout but you should move his light to where he can not touch it. They tend to get very hot and will burn him. he also does look a little dehydrated and stressed I would give him a couple days to adjust to his home.

Edit: it couldnt hurt to get him checked out at a vet who looks at exotics. waterfalls are bad for bacteria so thumbs up for removing it. but I would seek out a vet for him just to make sure he is okay.

I agree, I was suprised he streched to reach the light so will have to rearange his viv. He was dark because he was stressed without a doubt because he had moved to the viv only 10mins before I took the pic.

It doesn't look like gout because the joints don't appear swollen in the pictures. Maybe better pictures because I don't see swollen limbs from that angle. Gout is caused by uric acid buildup, which is from excessive protein. So carrots wouldn't cause gout, but chronic dehydration and/or dog and cat food for gutloading can. Sounds like he's in better hands now!

Edit - he's going to burn himself on that light!! That needs to be removed immediately! Chams can die from being burned too badly and he can obviously get to the bulb!

Yea pics are rubbish but I was in a rush. Legs are swollen though.

The veil looks really bad to me. Am I worrying to much?

I honestly don't think he looks bad. His casque is huge with fat, but he seems to be in good condition, his legs look straight and pretty normal to me. He looks pissed off for sure! But pretty healthy otherwise. But a picture from the side in better light might make him look different. From that angle, in those pictures I think he looks okay.

Im with Ferret on the gout. I got a cham a yr ago that had a slight case of gout. You will see swelling around the neck area or swelling in the joints of the limbs. I didnt see any swelling of his joints. I did think his feet looked a little swollen but I havent kept veileds in a long time. How are his feet pads any signs of scabs or damage? That may be why his feet looked strange.

I'd switch up his feeders give him a varied gutloaded diet. And for the first week or more I would give him some long showers every day. Really let him sit in there and rinse his eyes and drink for at least 30 mins every day. After that initial phase I'd do his fecals and see whats going on with him.

Good luck and I hope hes just dehydrated and nothing else is going on with the poor guy.

I agree. The swellings are in the wrong places for gout. I have no idea just what the swellings behind his eyes could be. If you handle his legs, are the puffy areas hard or soft (such as feeling like pockets of fluid?).

Here is a pic side on and he looks a lot better today. No scabs on feet.

IMAG0787.jpg

Back
Top Bottom