Is this gout?

Tiosk

7E311CCC-49FA-47B9-B651-551EA93B4933.jpeg
I noticed that my female veiled’s ankles have become puffy and soft. I have read of a disease called gout. She is doing great, eating, walking, drinking, and showing no other signs of gout such as, pain, and aggression when I touch her ankles. I just want to know what is going on and how I can fix it.

She is a 2 yr old female veiled chameleon that has been in my care for 18 months
  • Feeding - I feed my veiled crickets and wax worms gutload with the all in one feeder gutload orange cube stuff. I use a cup to feed. I feed every other day with about 15 feeders each time (medium crickets)
  • Supplements - I do rep cal calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month
  • Watering - I use the Mistking starter kit and mist for a minute in the morning when lights come on an have several short sessions throughout day. I give another long mist at night
  • Fecal Description - Hard to describe but brown turds and white urates with normal texture.
  • History - Had an abscess on hip but antibiotics killed it months ago

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass
  • Lighting - Using a heat lamp and a UV bulb that is appropriate for sure (I forgot what exactly)
  • Temperature - 85 degrees F basking and room temp at night
  • Humidity - Don’t know but I have absorbents at bottom of tank that keeps it up to plenty plus the mist King
  • Plants - I usually have a pothos in there but it just died
  • Placement - On a dresser
  • Location - Pittsburgh PA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I don’t know, from what I have heard and read, gout comes with extreme pain, attitude changes, and it’s hard to walk. She has none of those symptoms nor swollen wrists as well. But I do agree on the vet thing.

She is a 2 yr old female veiled chameleon that has been in my care for 18 months
  • Feeding - I feed my veiled crickets and wax worms gutload with the all in one feeder gutload orange cube stuff. I use a cup to feed. I feed every other day with about 15 feeders each time (medium crickets)
  • Supplements - I do rep cal calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month
  • Watering - I use the Mistking starter kit and mist for a minute in the morning when lights come on an have several short sessions throughout day. I give another long mist at night
  • Fecal Description - Hard to describe but brown turds and white urates with normal texture.
  • History - Had an abscess on hip but antibiotics killed it months ago

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass
  • Lighting - Using a heat lamp and a UV bulb that is appropriate for sure (I forgot what exactly)
  • Temperature - 85 degrees F basking and room temp at night
  • Humidity - Don’t know but I have absorbents at bottom of tank that keeps it up to plenty plus the mist King
  • Plants - I usually have a pothos in there but it just died
  • Placement - On a dresser
  • Location - Pittsburgh PA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Are you using waxworms as treats or as a staple? Your cham would also love more variety, like roaches (red runner, dubia, orange headed, ivory headed, green banana, etc.), black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, superworms, small helix aspersa, mantids, stick insects, painted lady butterflies, and silk, horn, and waxworm moths, to name a few! I recommend getting a different gutload, like Repashy Bug Burger, Cricket Crack, or Pangea Gutload, they're better quality. RepCal isn’t the best supplement brand; Zoo Med (ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding and Reptivite with D3 every two weeks), Repashy (Calcium Plus LoD every feeding), Arcadia (Arcadia supplements using the insectivore schedule off of their website), or Sticky Tongue Farms (Minerall every feeding, gutload feeders the night before with Vitall) are all great brands. Let me know if I need to go into more detail on that. Mistings should be at least 2 minutes long. What are the dimensions of her cage? A picture of her cage would be great, as well! Is the heat bulb a ceramic heat emitter or a white light heat bulb or something else? Is the uvb linear or a compact coil or a mercury vapor bulb? What strength is her uvb? There are really cheap digital thermometer/hygrometer combos from the hardware store to measure ambient temp and relative humidity levels. And then, with every female veiled, I must ask, does she have a proper lay bin? Can’t help with her gout (or whatever it is), but I do want to help you improve your husbandry!

Well, about the misting thing, 2 minutes is way too long because of the glass tank, I have experimented and mold grows and water sits with too long of mistings. Her cage is 18 by 18 by 24. She is very small for a female veiled so this fits her fine. I know somebody is going to yell at me for this, but at 2 yrs old, Melvin, has never laid eggs before. She showed signs like 8 months ago and we provided proper laying bin and environment. Nothing, she eventually started eating again and things returned to normal.

I would lean towards another possible infection that didnt get completely cleared by the antibiotics. But i definitely agree for a vet visit.

So I did my research, and decided not to schedule the vets appointment just yet. I came very close to it this evening but I learned of pseudo gout and think this is what she has. I think this because she hasnt shown pain at all yet and is eating and drinking just fine. So it’s defin not kidney failure. It could be primary gout but I don’t know. She seems to be doing fine. Should I wait it out and see if she is getting better? I just got a new big pothos and her tank has greens she can eat. I am going to stop dusting for a week or so to see if she gets better also. Should I be worried? At first I was, but now I have calmed down after looking at the symptoms of primary and secondary gout.

Secondary gout is usually signs she isnt getting enough water and will show up in multiple other ways first. Veileds usually are hard to over supplement as long as you are following the schedules recommended.

Alright, I’ll try to schedule it this week. I’ll be honest, I’m just a teen and this is my first chameleon. I am still pretty knowledgeable but I have to consult parents for everything... I’ll convince them tho. Thanks for the help @Andee.

Its ok if necessary you are welcome to direct them at this thread, there are so many things it could be, MBD, infection, pseudo gout, gout, fractures that have led to infection, it could be this is just a tiny symptom on top of something that is vert very dangerous. These guys are troublesome but we love them for some unfathomable reason XD definitely try increasing her fluids, and try getting her out into some sun if you can, idk what your temps and weather is like but sun is always magical and though it likely wont fix this issue its a good therapy for any illness with these guys.

I think it’s pseudo gout, I don’t know how she got it, but it shows most symptoms. Early signs of kidney failure are supposed to have 2 or more symptoms of secondary gout to confirm the diagnosis. She only has one. I wish I could get sunlight here in Pittsburgh! It’s like 30 degrees and rainy lol.

I get it, youre a teen, I am too, just turned 16 a month ago but you have to also keep in mind that this animal is your responsibility, she is your companion for the rest of her life therefore you need to get her to a vet, we are not here to cure the problem we are just here to give as much advice as needed and encourage vet visits when needed, if you want I can help try and find a good vet with cham experience for you. gout or kidney failure, she needs you. I personally think time money and effort are no problem as long as my cham is okay. consult with your parents let us know whats up

Back
Top Bottom