Is This a Bad Sign?

caseywagz

My veiled is about 10 months old I would say, and he's been doing great. Ever since I've had him he's always loved being held. Recently, he's been wanting out more and more out of his cage, and sometimes even turning down a cricket to escape the cage! Is this a sign of something bad? He is so friendly and immediately runs to my hand and crawls on me to get the chance to climb on my curtains, but is too much handling a problem? I like it when he comes out and explores in my room, but I have read too much handling can cause stress; although he does not seem to be stressed one bit. His colors go from a darker brown basking color to the brightest green ever. Thoughts? Does he need a bigger cage?

Thanks!

It could be an issue with the enclosure he is in... It can also be that he is approaching maturity and they explore their territory.
Here's a pic of him I legit took 5 minutes ago.. will he get bigger than this??

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 128
Here's a pic of him I legit took 5 minutes ago.. will he get bigger than this??
He will fill out a bit more. But by 15 months IME the growth is done. He may get a bit more to him in length but not much. Now you have to start being careful how much you feed though so he does not get fat.

What does his cage look like?

He will fill out a bit more. But by 15 months IME the growth is done. He may get a bit more to him in length but not much. Now you have to start being careful how much you feed though so he does not get fat.

What does his cage look like?

Here is a pic I just now took.

I do believe he is getting a little large for this cage (which is sad cause he grew way faster than I expected and all this money on the cage feels wasted)

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 132

I do believe he is getting a little large for this cage (which is sad cause he grew way faster than I expected and all this money on the cage feels wasted)
So im seeing a lot of issues with the cage set up right now. I’m going to let @Beman continue to help you out as she’s awesome and knows what she’s talking about!

Yeah so the cage is way to small for him. You need a minimum 2x2x4tall cage. This cage is suitable for a Veiled baby. This is why he is constantly wanting out. There are changes within the cage that need to be made and I am happy to help. I am seeing aspects including lighting that needs to be changed as well. But I think having you fill out this form with detail is going to assist me in giving you better feedback. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yeah so the cage is way to small for him. You need a minimum 2x2x4tall cage. This cage is suitable for a Veiled baby. This is why he is constantly wanting out. There are changes within the cage that need to be made and I am happy to help. I am seeing aspects including lighting that needs to be changed as well. But I think having you fill out this form with detail is going to assist me in giving you better feedback. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: Male veiled chameleon, had him for about 7 months, estimated 10 months old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: Almost every day
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: Crickets, blueberries, cucumbers and lettuce. Crickets every day without D3, and every other week with D3, and lettuce and blueberries every few days. Cricket-Quencher for water source, bananas, carrots, and cricket-specific food (the wheat-looking flakes).
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: Not sure of the brand but I use both D3 and non D3 powder.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: I have an automatic mister that goes off every hour for 15 seconds, and I also have a Mr. Dripper but he doesn't drink from it. He will sometimes shoot at the falling water droplets on the wall. The lettuce and cucumber are probably his biggest source of water right now.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: Never been tested, and his poops are mostly yellow to white, along with the usual brown piece. One time is was orange, meaning he was dehydrated.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you?:
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: 18Lx36H, plexiglass and screen combo. (Picture below).
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: As described before, a normal household lightbulb that gets pretty warm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?: I have a gauge that I use; it usually stays around 87-92 degrees but lowers when the water turns on.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?: Don't know the humidity levels. I spray the entire cage with water along with the auto mister.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: Three live plants; A bromeliad, golden pothos, and the third one I forgot the name of. But they are safe for the veiled chameleons.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: On my bedroom dresser, about halfway to my ceiling fan.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?: Colorado

Ok so see my feedback and additional questions in red bold. :)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: Male veiled chameleon, had him for about 7 months, estimated 10 months old.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: Crickets, blueberries, cucumbers and lettuce. Crickets every day without D3, and every other week with D3, and lettuce and blueberries every few days. Cricket-Quencher for water source, bananas, carrots, and cricket-specific food (the wheat-looking flakes). Your going to want to expand on your gutload. more leafy greens. See image below. Wheat flakes can go. cricket quencher can go as well. They get water from the fresh fruit and veg. He now needs to be kicked over to an every other day feeding. 3-5 feeders or he is going to gain weight. Feeding him lettuce and blueberries is not really advised. They are insectivores. While they will nibble on plants it is not part of their diet.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: Not sure of the brand but I use both D3 and non D3 powder. Are you using a multivitamin as well?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: I have an automatic mister that goes off every hour for 15 seconds, and I also have a Mr. Dripper but he doesn't drink from it. He will sometimes shoot at the falling water droplets on the wall. The lettuce and cucumber are probably his biggest source of water right now. Can you up your misting duration? 15 seconds is not long enough for him to clean his eyes if he needs to. Guessing you have a monsoon.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: Never been tested, and his poops are mostly yellow to white, along with the usual brown piece. One time is was orange, meaning he was dehydrated. So you really want the urate portion to be mostly white. A little yellow is fine. But when the urate is mostly yellow to orange that is telling you he is dehydrated. Increasing the misting time will help with this as it will put more water on the leaves for him to drink from.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you?:
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: 18Lx36H, plexiglass and screen combo. (Picture below). Needs a 2x2x4 minimum.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: As described before, a normal household lightbulb that gets pretty warm. So you are not using any UVB lighting. Which really needs to be provided asap. He is high risk for developing MBD. If he has not already just not showing outward signs in limbs. You want a T5HO fixutre with a 5.0 bulb and I would get this in the 24 inch length since you have to upgrade your cage size. Basking is then 9 inches down below the fixture if you have it placed on the cage.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?: I have a gauge that I use; it usually stays around 87-92 degrees but lowers when the water turns on. 92 is a bit warm... If he is gaping (holding his mouth open at basking this is him telling you he is too hot.)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?: Don't know the humidity levels. I spray the entire cage with water along with the auto mister. This is important to know. daytime humidity should be between 30-50% then night when lights are off it can be higher. With you living in CO I am guessing your lower in humidity levels. But I would still get a hygrometer to know levels.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: Three live plants; A bromeliad, golden pothos, and the third one I forgot the name of. But they are safe for the veiled chameleons. Your plants are fine.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: On my bedroom dresser, about halfway to my ceiling fan.
As far as the cage. I would remove the dirt from the floor and go with just the panel. Easier for cleaning and less risk of him eating the dirt. You do need the bigger cage... But also the UVB Lighting is extremely important. This is an asap purchase.

Links I like:

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Ok so see my feedback and additional questions in red bold. :)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: Crickets, blueberries, cucumbers and lettuce. Crickets every day without D3, and every other week with D3, and lettuce and blueberries every few days. Cricket-Quencher for water source, bananas, carrots, and cricket-specific food (the wheat-looking flakes). Your going to want to expand on your gutload. more leafy greens. See image below. Wheat flakes can go. cricket quencher can go as well. They get water from the fresh fruit and veg. He now needs to be kicked over to an every other day feeding. 3-5 feeders or he is going to gain weight. Feeding him lettuce and blueberries is not really advised. They are insectivores. While they will nibble on plants it is not part of their diet.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: Not sure of the brand but I use both D3 and non D3 powder. Are you using a multivitamin as well?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: I have an automatic mister that goes off every hour for 15 seconds, and I also have a Mr. Dripper but he doesn't drink from it. He will sometimes shoot at the falling water droplets on the wall. The lettuce and cucumber are probably his biggest source of water right now. Can you up your misting duration? 15 seconds is not long enough for him to clean his eyes if he needs to. Guessing you have a monsoon.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: Never been tested, and his poops are mostly yellow to white, along with the usual brown piece. One time is was orange, meaning he was dehydrated. So you really want the urate portion to be mostly white. A little yellow is fine. But when the urate is mostly yellow to orange that is telling you he is dehydrated. Increasing the misting time will help with this as it will put more water on the leaves for him to drink from.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: 18Lx36H, plexiglass and screen combo. (Picture below). Needs a 2x2x4 minimum.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: As described before, a normal household lightbulb that gets pretty warm. So you are not using any UVB lighting. Which really needs to be provided asap. He is high risk for developing MBD. If he has not already just not showing outward signs in limbs. You want a T5HO fixutre with a 5.0 bulb and I would get this in the 24 inch length since you have to upgrade your cage size. Basking is then 9 inches down below the fixture if you have it placed on the cage.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?: I have a gauge that I use; it usually stays around 87-92 degrees but lowers when the water turns on. 92 is a bit warm... If he is gaping (holding his mouth open at basking this is him telling you he is too hot.)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?: Don't know the humidity levels. I spray the entire cage with water along with the auto mister. This is important to know. daytime humidity should be between 30-50% then night when lights are off it can be higher. With you living in CO I am guessing your lower in humidity levels. But I would still get a hygrometer to know levels.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: Three live plants; A bromeliad, golden pothos, and the third one I forgot the name of. But they are safe for the veiled chameleons. Your plants are fine.
As far as the cage. I would remove the dirt from the floor and go with just the panel. Easier for cleaning and less risk of him eating the dirt. You do need the bigger cage... But also the UVB Lighting is extremely important. This is an asap purchase.

Links I like:

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

View attachment 268117

Obviously his cage isn't done, but I got him a 2x2x4 cage that you guys recommended, and the under the light fixture is a basking bulb and a uvb bulb you guys recommended. I have a ton more to do to his cage, but for tonight, this will have to do. Is this better? It looks humongous and I hope he will get used to it.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing some ideas/criticisms about it!

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 90
It is better to raise enclosure off the floor if you can.
Have you got a compact fluorescent uv? Its a t5 bulb and fitting that was recommended

The cage size is definitely better and with some more plants, vines, etc... It will be a great home for your guy. I agree that some kind of UVB is better than nothing, but you really need to get a linear T5HO fixture with a UVB5.0 bulb, that spans the entire width of the cage.

Let me just say how refreshing it is to see someone come to the forums and take advice to heart! To often we see new keepers ask for help only to ignore it or argue about the importance of some things. I have to give you credit for showing that the well being of your chameleon is a top priority for you. :)

Nice! You and he will get used to the size in no time. :) You need to add many more branches or vines for him to travel and some plants up higher. It is a challenge to attach things to screen enclosures, but there are ways. I’ve seen some use a bamboo type trellis secures to the frame that they then can attach plants and stuff to and some create a little scaffolding type frame, also attached to the enclosure frame. The trick is using the enclosure frame to bear the weight as the screen can’t. Heavy duty fishing line or florist wire and zip ties will be needed.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! When I bought my cage, this is the uvb bulb I bought, if this isn't good enough I'll go get my money back and invest in the T5HO fixture and bulb!

And here's a pic of his cage on a little table that fit perfectly :)

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 104
Thanks so much everyone for the advice! When I bought my cage, this is the uvb bulb I bought, if this isn't good enough I'll go get my money back and invest in the T5HO fixture and bulb!

And here's a pic of his cage on a little table that fit perfectly :)
Yea...that bulb is no good. To give adequate uvb levels you really need the T5 with a 5% bulb. This one comes with the bulb. The Repti Sun bulbs need to be changed every 6 months. When it’s time to change it, get an Arcadia 6%, which lasts a year. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2605...591502458&sprefix=Repti+sun+24,aps,178&sr=8-1
65C94988-9B01-47F1-931E-F6BABC55A53E.jpeg

Yea...that bulb is no good. To give adequate uvb levels you really need the T5 with a 5% bulb. This one comes with the bulb. The Repti Sun bulbs need to be changed every 6 months. When it’s time to change it, get an Arcadia 6%, which lasts a year. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3RSNDGR1ZDB7R&dchild=1&keywords=reptisun+24+inch+hood&qid=1591502458&sprefix=Repti+sun+24,aps,178&sr=8-1
View attachment 268764

Can this only be bought online or is it in stores as well?

Back
Top Bottom