Is She Ready To Lay Eggs? (HOPE NOT)

CraigW

She used to be soooo nice and green and active, but recently she's been kinda lazy, staying in her basking spot most of the time, and climbing down a little to sleep, her feeding cup is full of worms, hasnt eaten many of them, crickets wont be here for another 2 or 3 days so I'll see if she'll eat them, she's been drinkin quite a bit of water, cage temps are all normal, consistent, I follow everything I find on here, I would fill out the info thing but I cant find one to copy paste, Can someone explain to me what it could be, what these colors could mean? I'm leaving to Mexico on the 26th till the 2nd so I hope nothing is seriously wrong..... thanx....

-Craig

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 100G Flexarium
Lighting - Reptisun 10.0 Bulb, 100W Heat Lamp
Temperature - Temp in the basking spot is 30 celcius, the rest is mid 20's, night lower 20's - Celcius sorry, I'm Canadian
Humidity - Humidity is hard to measure, over 50% for sure, creating this with a humidifier
Plants - Some bamboo plants and a larger tree type plant, no idea what it is, its about 2.5 feet high with broad leaves
Location - Cage is located in my bedroom on the far side, away from the window

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, age is a guess - maybe 7 months, shes a petstore cham.
Feeding - Crickets, 1/2 - 3/4 inch usually about 10 per day, mealworms and wax worms for treats.
Supplements - Multivitamins and Calcium with D3.....repcal is the name
Watering - Big dripper - filled daily, garden sprayer used 2 times a day
Fecal Description - Looks pretty normal, quite large, brown followed by white urinate
History - Went through her first shed and came out super bright green, and since then has slowly been getting darker and darker
Current Problem - She is really really dark, doesnt eat as much as she used to, not as active, very timid....

Last edited:
maybe you can type up some specific details on your housing. Also what species is she. A picture would be very useful.

edit-i see you posted pics

She looks like shes showing some gravid coloration to me. My female veiled is gravid right now and she shows colors similar to that when shes just chilling out. My guess is that shes cycling an infertile clutch but hopefully some others might chime it to get a 2nd opinion. Also, how old is she?

I think a safe option would be to place a bucket of sand in her cage just in case, especially if shes loosing her appetite.

She has a large pot filled with sand and dendrobedding, never really wonders to the bottom of the cage though...

She has a large pot filled with sand and dendrobedding, never really wonders to the bottom of the cage though...

I would just keep an eye out. If she has a place to lay and she hasn't disturbed the dirt (that you can tell) then she is prolly fine. She just looks healthy to me. If you can tell us a bit about how her feeding has been vs. how it is now might help us give you a better idea. Based on the pictures she just looks like she is a good sized momma.

Edit: side note.. Is the dirt provided for her in a secluded area of the cage where she can feel secure? She may not wonder down there if she feels you can see her. If you can see her... she can see you, and she won't bother digging if she doesn't feel secure. Its a good idea to put a fake plant over the dirt and place another plant blocking hers and your view of one another.

Well i couldnt really tell you for sure unless you told me she stopped eating. Maybe you should get a fecal test done to be safe too. Parasites are a possiblity.

I just want my blazing green cham back :p

Ummm....I'm sorry I cant tell you more, I ran out of crickets and I cant get them in town so I ordered them online and they havent arrived quite yet, I'll let you know how that goes when they come in!

Nico: The closest Vet is a good 5 hours away and I just dont have the time in the next month to make that trek :S

Ok well keep us posted on whether or not she chows down on the crickets. A decreased appetite could be a number of things. Parasites, prep for laying, or maybe just a seasonal thing idk but ive never observed any seasonal behavior change in my female. My female used to be a insane lime green too but when she matured she started to turn a little darker as the days went on but started displaying more and more blue dots like yours are showing.

I was reading your OP a little more closely. Get another calcium with no phosphers and that does not have Vit D3 in it and use it everyday. If you are using Rep-cal be sure to be very light on the dusting because it is very strong. Us the D3 calcium twice a week. You can lighten up on the supliments around 12 months of age.

You said you have a Reptisun 10.0. Is it a compact (screw in style lamp) or is it a long tube?

From what you are telling us she might be gravid. Just let her have her space and provide the coverage of her egg laying site as I posted earlier.

Check out these links.

Cham care.

Lighting info.

Read through these sites, they will explain a lot.

Back
Top Bottom