Is our Approach to Naturalistic Humidity Correct?

I agree with everybody on here except anybody who say only their way is correct.......when I give my chams water they recede back a little bit then procede to the water to drink, and every time clean their eyes, I keep up my humidity at night with 2 humidifiers as bill states about natural hydration, and I water every other afternoon 1 hour before lights out, with enough water to fully clean foliage and sticks in viv, and it works for me

So are you saying that misting in no way benifits the chameleon as far as cleaning their eyes?
See the video linked to see what I’m talking about.

Every cham I’ve ever had would always stroke their eyes frequently during a misting session. I’ve always been told they are taking advantage of the mist to aid in cleaning. Is it possible they are stroking their eyes because the rain is irritating them and we’ve all misinterpreted what we were seeing?

yiu are awesome!
Exactky this I am truing to explain

we firce them to do and they do
We cause this. It is not their choice

frequent eye cleaning (which per se IS a natural mechanism how to get rid of unwanted iritating things inside if the conjunctive sac) is an artefact of captivity and has nothing to do with their deliverate choice!

this is my firm belief

thank yiu for your curiosity and for your so openly listening to me and trying to see different way than they are preached

So are you saying that misting in no way benifits the chameleon as far as cleaning their eyes?
See the video linked to see what I’m talking about.

Every cham I’ve ever had would always stroke their eyes frequently during a misting session. I’ve always been told they are taking advantage of the mist to aid in cleaning. Is it possible they are stroking their eyes because the rain is irritating them and we’ve all misinterpreted what we were seeing?

a fantastic video
And, have you all noticed? NO WATER NEEDED

I agree with everybody on here except anybody who say only their way is correct.......when I give my chams water they recede back a little bit then procede to the water to drink, and every time clean their eyes, I keep up my humidity at night with 2 humidifiers as bill states about natural hydration, and I water every other afternoon 1 hour before lights out, with enough water to fully clean foliage and sticks in viv, and it works for me
We as well use humidifiers early a.m. . We have low humidity through the day . Night/early am for a few hours provided by humidifiers . Atm we are hand misting solely . We in the past have solely used the mister and have inc. both hand and system . No one method I have found to be better than another . I have always run the humidifier however . I believe with in 2 month of keeping Frances we started using it but it had to do with her health and it was before I started reading about High humidity at night . . . In the beginning however I did so much wrong one being misting way way to much with very long misting sessions throughout the day . Once I started having improvements with her health along with adding others chameleon’s i automatically set them up as so .

Last edited:
I also hand water with a 2 gallon backpack sprayer, from the top down, I took the cap off the spray nozzle so it drops down in a round circle, I use almost a half gallon a viv. I have only a dozen or so chams.... and they all love to wash their eyes while they drink!! It's cool to watch

I also hand water with a 2 gallon backpack sprayer, from the top down, I took the cap off the spray nozzle so it drops down in a round circle, I use almost a half gallon a viv. I have only a dozen or so chams.... and they all love to wash their eyes while they drink!! It's cool to watch
I could sit and watch them all day , that will be my retirement a rescue and the greenhouse . I told my hubs I will live in the green house lol . We currently have 5 chameleon’s, 3 beardies one is a rescue . He will be going to a new forever home next week and a new little girl will be coming to live with us , then our Leo whom is 9 will be 10 in March . None of our chameleon’s seem to even notice the misting . They go about their business . Phoeb’s and septiseye spend a good amount of time out and about .

Oliver with us has no fears , he only knows us we hatched him . He just sees us as an extension of his tree . He gets pretty excited to see Craig however because he sneaks him treats:p.

If it is such a regular appearance why not to take a video and show us?
how do you measure or assess that they “all love to wash their eyes while they drink”?

Last edited:
Imelda is my only one who will drink water from my misting system and would go out in the water to clean her eyes. The vet said she had a vitamin a deficiency and that her eyes had sandpaper like partials in her eyes and she was trying to clean it out.

my willsii will sit right under the fogger at night but he still hates me so little is known about the green goblin. He does like to drink his morning dew drops off leaves

Last edited:
Imelda is my only one who will drink water from my misting system and would go out in the water to clean her eyes. The vet said she had a vitamin a deficiency and that her eyes hand sandpaper like partials in her eyes and she was trying to clean it out.

my willsii will sit right under the fogger at night but he still hates me so little is known about the green goblin. He does like to drink his morning dew drops off leaves
Same here except septiseye. I see them drinking off leafs early am .

as someone who works outside I can tell you that temperature does not reach its peak until 1-2 in the afternoon. Not 10 am.

Weather in Ambilobe today. (well tomorrow)

2020-02-13 12_06_18-Hourly Weather Forecast for Ambilobe, Diana Region, Madagascar - The Weath...png

I know the shade was brought up, As someone who was born and raised in the Mohave Desert, in Phoenix Arizona, where people die in mass every single year. I can tell you for a FACT, thats not true. 125 degrees, is 125 degrees, in the sun, or under a tree.

Dont take my word for it,

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.

https://www.azsunblock.com/temperature-difference-between-shade-and-full-sun/

Even in the shade, on a 120 degree day, People die.

Last edited:
The seasons may affect that a little, especially in winter where the sun is a little lower in the sky...?

Madagascar doesn't have a "winter". They have a Dry season and a Wet Season, thats it. I guess you could call the Dry Season "Winter"

I modified this graph to represent it (dont know why they haven't lol)
2020-02-13 12_19_09-Local form Ambilobe – Madcham.de.png

Graph from Madcham.de
https://www.madcham.de/en/furcifer-pardalis-ambilobe/

I believe Yemen, also has "Wet Season" and "Dry Season" as well, could be wrong though.

Madagascar doesn't have a "winter". They have a Dry season and a Wet Season, thats it. I guess you could call the Dry Season "Winter"

I modified this graph to represent it (dont know why they haven't lol)
View attachment 258576

Graph from Madcham.de
https://www.madcham.de/en/furcifer-pardalis-ambilobe/

I believe Yemen, also has "Wet Season" and "Dry Season" as well, could be wrong though.

Dry season/Winter... same thing for this purpose. I guess it depends on where you live in the world, but the daylight hours and angle of the sun changes with the seasons.

Can you explain the anatomy and mechanics of what we're seeing at the start of that video?

Why does the eye deform so much when they stroke it?

Ive always assumed they are pulling the eye itself back to create the space needed to stroke it.
As ler
My knoedge, noone has explained the exact mechanics yet
the only relevant cotation in my knowledge is this one

https://www.vetexotic.theclinics.com/article/S1094-9194(01)00007-X/pdf
as someone who works outside I can tell you that temperature does not reach its peak until 1-2 in the afternoon. Not 10 am.

you did not get my point

this statement is from the perspective of the chameleon,
Not environment!!
While environment of course warms further uo to reach its maximam much much later, chameleons stop basking and retreat to the shade of bushes where the temps are significantky lower!!

Dry season/Winter... same thing for this purpose. I guess it depends on where you live in the world, but the daylight hours and angle of the sun changes with the seasons.

Ya, thats why I do not like calling it winter. The change is much more drastic to us in America, and Canada, ect. Equator Areas have a much less drastic amount of change.

Ehike environment if course warms further uo to reach its maximam much much later, amelekns stop basking and retreat to the shade of bushes where the temps are significantky lower!!

You do not seem to understand that is NOT true. The temps are NOT lower in the shade... You are blocking the IR rays, yes. However the Temperature of the air is not changing.

If you place the thermometer, in the sunlight. The IR rays will heat up the thermometer and give a higher reading, but if you do that your not getting air temperatures anyway.

All the Temps, that have been linked in this thread, from Madcham, from weather sites, those are the temps in the shade.

There is a lower temperature, area to the canopy. However this is the result of other factors, like humidity. Not strictly due to shade.

All of that is for not anyway, we have made another thread. On that subject, and the votes tell the story.

Last edited:
Weather in Ambilobe today. (well tomorrow)

View attachment 258571

I know the shade was brought up, As someone who was born and raised in the Mohave Desert, in Phoenix Arizona, where people die in mass every single year. I can tell you for a FACT, thats not true. 125 degrees, is 125 degrees, in the sun, or under a tree.

Dont take my word for it,

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.

https://www.azsunblock.com/temperature-difference-between-shade-and-full-sun/

Even in the shade, on a 120 degree day, People die.
Seems yiu have nevwr been in the field
I have run all around with a thermometer and rhe remoweayure in rhe shaded biotioes are radically different from those just 200m further in the ooen landscape in direct sunshine

honti the field and do not say fabulations rhat are not true

Back
Top Bottom