Is my Jacksons Chameleon pregnant??

desijj00

I have had a female jacksons chameleon for about a year and a half now. She was definitely not a baby when we got her from Petco, but she recently started pacing and walking the bottom of her cage. I've also noticed she's got a belly on her. I seen stuff online about them retaining sperm so could this be the case?
I never hold her, I just did to get a quick pic.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1951587510.jpg
    Snapchat-1951587510.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Snapchat-1550315372.jpg
    Snapchat-1550315372.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Snapchat-1560619667.jpg
    Snapchat-1560619667.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 81
She looks it to me. Some species, such as Jackson's Chameleons, give live birth. Female Jackson's Chameleons can retain sperm for longer than a year so they are able to produce babies even though they have not been with a male for a long time. The babies are delicate, but designed to survive if you provide the correct conditions

I don't plan on keeping any of them, but how long should I keep them here with me at home? I remove them from the cage right? How do I take care of them?

She does look it. But just a question. Has she pooped lately? Just making sure she isn't constipated. So if she ends up being preg you do not have to panic and can leisurely remove the babies as they are born. If you have come home from work and she is obviously done giving birth (usually giving birth happens in the morning) then it is a good idea to move the female out of the cage to allow you to thoroughly search the cage for babies. I believe they give birth to 8 to 30 little ones

She does look it. But just a question. Has she pooped lately? Just making sure she isn't constipated. So if she ends up being preg you do not have to panic and can leisurely remove the babies as they are born. If you have come home from work and she is obviously done giving birth (usually giving birth happens in the morning) then it is a good idea to move the female out of the cage to allow you to thoroughly search the cage for babies. I believe they give birth to 8 to 30 little ones
She did poop about 3-4 days ago? I'm not sure if thats normal. She usually goes every 3 days or so! Could she just be bloated?

Mine don't wander the bottom usually before they give birth. That is more of an egg layer thing to do. Mine will go to a high corner or vertical branch to deliver. Most chain pet store female Jax are pregnant. I'm amazed it's been a year with no undeveloped ova (slugs) or babies, though it does happen.

She isn't in this photo, but she's also been hanging belly side up (which she's never done before) she's just been acting kinda funky the last two days

Attachments

• Snapchat-1889428755.jpg
    Snapchat-1889428755.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Mine don't wander the bottom usually before they give birth. That is more of an egg layer thing to do. Mine will go to a high corner or vertical branch to deliver. Most chain pet store female Jax are pregnant. I'm amazed it's been a year with no undeveloped ova (slugs) or babies, though it does happen.
She is just going in places she doesn't normally go, she normally sticks to the same couple spots. Then I noticed like holy buckets she is kinda chunky. So I googled it and here we are. I haven't noticed anything weird. Just her normal poops i believe. We got her out in Washington. And a few months later we moved to Minnesota. Im not sure if the stress of the move couldve delayed anything. I want to be excited but not to excited as im scared shes going to die and not have babies 🥲

I can't tell if she is going to pass slugs or have babies but eventually something will have to pass. If all you find are yellow tiny egg yolk looking things then she wasn't pregnant.
Is it normal that she has her eyes closed during the day? For the last couple hours her eyes have been closed. She did eat last night and drank this morning.

Humidity is about 80% temp is 75F.
I know we are about due for a new uvb bulb. Could that be it? House is normal temp. I have her cage in front of the window too.

Change the UVB if that doesn't perk her up consider seeing the vet.

We can also do a husbandry review but I have to go now.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom