Is my chameleon healthy?

cruz.m

Avid Member
So I recently got my chameleon. She is a veiled and I just wanted to know if she’s ok and healthy. I’m mainly focused on her eye once in a while she’ll close one eye and then open it after a few second. It looks a bit weird well I’m not sure since I’m a beginner and I know that they’re not good pets for beginners. They’re a “look but don’t touch” type of pet and everything with their care, diet, etc. but I studied researched and prepared everything to the best of my ability. I noticed that she was sort of afraid of me like whenever I open her cage to fix something or get her cup feeder to feed her she’ll hide from me or run away l, I also noticed she does that every time I mist her unless I place her by my backyard door where there is sunlight but she also does it there sometimes. Apparently they’re supposed to drink water from the leaves and the droplets but she never does or at least I never see her and I’m pretty much always on my desk doing work or whatever I am doing and she’s right next to me. I have the big dripper and I turn it on a few times a day for a couple minutes. She doesn’t always go to drink water and when she does she’s always too slow like she’ll be looking at the water and everything and they fall on a branch and she’ll open her mouth to try and get it but then the droplet falls so she’ll continue that until she gets some or gives up. Whenever I see this I also try and help her and succeed most of the time. I got her crickets and meal worms but I realized the first few days she wouldn’t really eat a lot but I found out that the small crickets were running big at the stores so I figured she got full fast or something. This time I bought her extra small carry out crickets and small meal worms. I dust her crickets with calcium with d3 and without. I usually do without 6 days of the week and with d3 once a week but that’s basically just two weeks since I got her two weeks ago. I’m not exactly sure how old she is probably 3-4 months? I have a uvb and heat/sun lamp but I think I’m gonna replace them for new ones if you guys have any recommendations. Her set up is pretty nice I had moss and dirt but that seemed to attract ants so I took it out and am now gonna replace it with carpet or something but right now there’s a towel but she’s never on the floor. I bought a nice size cage for her since she’s a baby but I plan on getting her a bigger one when she’s older and bigger. I do not have any real plants in there but I want to add some I just don’t know where and what type to get so any advice on that would be good too. At first I let the crickets in there but she would always find a few and the rest would be roaming free and hard to find so I got her a cup which she seemed to figure out. Also at night I turn her lights off and she sleeps fine my mom always gets concerned it’s too cold for her but I read they like a drop in temperature and she falls asleep right away wherever she is last she’ll just plop down curl up and close her eyes which I find so cute. I’m mainly focused on her health with her eye and everything and what I can do if there is something wrong. I don’t really have the money to take her to the vet so if there is any place I could go or any at home remedies or anything I could do that would be great but with everything going on I don’t think I can afford a vet visit especially is nothing is wrong or if something is wrong. Please help and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and she just bit this hammock thing that I had I’m not sure if there was an animal that she ate but she bit it and chewed so now I’m scared! She’s got some left over shed too it wouldn’t come off so I helped her a bit and got some of it off. I’ll post some picture right now. Oh and her name is Frankie and I’m pretty sure she’s a girl my profile is her sleeping she’s so adorable ?

Attachments

• 2F3B95E1-0763-428B-9386-18EF8F142009.jpeg
    2F3B95E1-0763-428B-9386-18EF8F142009.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 109
  • 7A766352-2AB3-44B4-8A9A-ED0F1FB7FA19.jpeg
    7A766352-2AB3-44B4-8A9A-ED0F1FB7FA19.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 125
  • BC058E40-F81F-486C-91CE-F284521D022E.jpeg
    BC058E40-F81F-486C-91CE-F284521D022E.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 117
  • D79FF6A6-BC1E-46ED-8F08-3A8C013DDA4F.jpeg
    D79FF6A6-BC1E-46ED-8F08-3A8C013DDA4F.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 124
  • E312B722-F8FD-43D4-B4D7-EC19371EE43A.jpeg
    E312B722-F8FD-43D4-B4D7-EC19371EE43A.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 7BDB7285-83E3-4EB8-9FC0-CC6F866DEE84.jpeg
    7BDB7285-83E3-4EB8-9FC0-CC6F866DEE84.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 49B9478B-D301-4BD6-8B58-19EF14F9B7A8.jpeg
    49B9478B-D301-4BD6-8B58-19EF14F9B7A8.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 9C62407A-2090-40ED-AA9A-4096F47F04E6.jpeg
    9C62407A-2090-40ED-AA9A-4096F47F04E6.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 6C34F923-A117-4B2C-BB41-79CB224257F2.jpeg
    6C34F923-A117-4B2C-BB41-79CB224257F2.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 302C5F6C-1560-46E1-8946-CAD4B31BA3BE.jpeg
    302C5F6C-1560-46E1-8946-CAD4B31BA3BE.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 107
Sorry for the mistakes here and there and I caught her eating one time and recorded. I found it funny how she stuck her tongue out and looked at me from one eye. Also about her biting it I did stop her it was a video but I screenshot this part, my phone was on a desk because I was gonna show her to a friend who has a chameleon and I pressed record and then turned and saw so I did try and stop it but I think she got something I’m not sure so what do I do about that!!! Is just like a wait and see?

Hi and welcome! ? Sweet little cham that you have. If you post a clear pic of the back feet, we can help you determine if a boy or girl. While you give a fair amount of information and seem interested in making sure you’re doing everything correctly, I’d like it if you could answer the following (copy & paste) and have all of your husbandry reviewed. That way we can better see what you are doing and any changes that you need to make in order to give your little sweetie the best and longest life.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, girl, not exactly sure how old she is. She’s been with me for almost two weeks.
  • Handling - When cleaning her cage or fix something like every other day. Also when I see she is at the front or is struggling. I also took her out yesterday because I didn’t want her to keep rubbing her eyes and I was scared she’d keep doing it. I gave her a branch and some vines as well as stuffed animals to climb on and the sun was shining. I fed her and she had her own little jungle Jim in my room. I watched her pretty much the whole time to make sure she wasn’t rubbing. She took a liking to my stuffed animal because she would climb and sit in the sun then she’d walk around and come back. She basked in the sunlight she didn’t look bothered to be out of her cage and when the sun went down it got dark quickly here so it was pretty early but she fell asleep on my stuffed dinosaur. She ended up falling asleep until I woke her up later to put her in her cage to sleep and she went right back to sleep. I know they usually aren’t supposed to sleep on your finger people mistake it for trust which is why I didn’t want to be holding her. If it’s wrong or not okay to do this also please let me know I was just scared she’d keep hurting her eyes.
  • Feeding - I feed her extra small crickets about 8-10 a day or however many she’ll eat. I feed her in the morning 30 minutes after I wake up so 8:30, again at 1:00 and then again at 6:00 and sometimes in between. I usually buy carry outs so they come with a cube of gel it’s like their food and water I’m not exactly sure or I’ll put a potato
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything.
  • Watering - I use The Big Dripper. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes. I do sometimes but usually when I mist she never goes for the droplets and when the the dripper is on she doesn’t always go to it and when she does she always misses the drops until she finally gets some.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? The first few days she had yellow and brown which I learned is because of dehydration. I tried getting her to drink but she still has a bit of yellow sometimes. She has not been tested or not that I know of.
  • History - I just got her so not that I know of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size.
  • Lighting - I’m not sure I think the heat/sun lamp is by zoo med. The uvb I’m not exactly sure it was an old lamp I was given. I turn her lights on in the morning when I wake up and off 6:00 earliest and 8:30 latest. If you guys have any good lamps and brand that I should get that aren’t extremely expensive let me know!
  • Temperature - I had moss and dirt but I took it out because ants decided they wanted to make that their home. The temperature in the basking area is between 85-90 and the the range through the cage during the day are between 70-87 and at night 60-73.
  • Humidity - They’re 65 and up. I’m misting the cage and I use a hygrometer but I need to get a new one if you guys have any recommendations for measuring the temp and humidity nothing too expensive because I’m on a budget.
  • Plants - I’m not using any real plants I want to but I’m not sure where and what kid to get so any recommendations there too.
  • Placement - It’s located near my desk in my room. It’s not near but not far from an air vent, no fans and I do have a backyard door and there is a street but there isn’t usually any noise sometimes my neighbors dog barks but it’s muzzled by my door. It’s probably 2 or 3 feet off the floor I’m not exactly sure.
  • Location - I’m in California, San Diego to be more exact.

Current Problem - Her eyes she keep rubbing them on the tree branch or anything she found. At first I thought it was one eye but then it would go away and it’d me the other but now it’s both and sometimes she even closes her eyes but opens then again. I’m guessing she’s getting an infection or something and I know it bothers her because she’s rubbing them and trying to itch or something. She also hasn’t been very active but I think it’s just her right now she’s laying on a branch looking at me I think she just got some water which is good! I know it’s not anything I did I’m pretty sure it was something the store did cause I went back and there was a poor chameleon there who’s both eyes were malnourished. I wanted to get her at a petco for these reasons cause I knew they didn’t know much about animals or cared for them right so I wanted to try and give her the best home. I couldn’t afford a vet but I called the store where I bought her and apparently it’s free so I’m gonna take her and see. Any recommendations to try and stop it or what could be wrong PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! Also when I got her she didn’t look super healthy I have fed her and tried to fatten her up a bit not sure how old she is so that would also be great to know. I know she is a female I checked her back legs to find out I didn’t want a male but it’s alright.
*These pictures were taken yesterday*

Attachments

• 6746CFF5-4306-45C8-92E8-51F30D928C77.jpeg
    6746CFF5-4306-45C8-92E8-51F30D928C77.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 230FD485-F096-4005-8F36-008653CD25F5.jpeg
    230FD485-F096-4005-8F36-008653CD25F5.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 331D21EA-EA84-4E89-99A0-7AB30E5FFEC1.jpeg
    331D21EA-EA84-4E89-99A0-7AB30E5FFEC1.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 48C51345-0735-4B73-99B2-2C2F395206E3.jpeg
    48C51345-0735-4B73-99B2-2C2F395206E3.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 94
  • C125329D-A815-498A-A45D-B566AF8F56B9.jpeg
    C125329D-A815-498A-A45D-B566AF8F56B9.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 92
  • E8F4426A-3872-4829-9192-C0ACC93D34F2.jpeg
    E8F4426A-3872-4829-9192-C0ACC93D34F2.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 19432885-24CB-4E0A-B7F7-76252E5EECB6.jpeg
    19432885-24CB-4E0A-B7F7-76252E5EECB6.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 118
  • E7FE2AE9-D22E-4A20-A7F2-9B77AD829A41.jpeg
    E7FE2AE9-D22E-4A20-A7F2-9B77AD829A41.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 8740C41F-D2E7-4FF0-BF01-A726875B0F72.jpeg
    8740C41F-D2E7-4FF0-BF01-A726875B0F72.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 98
  • F7452FA9-9F02-4733-B918-47E86578CDFF.jpeg
    F7452FA9-9F02-4733-B918-47E86578CDFF.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 99
sorry it took me forever to post it!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, girl, not exactly sure how old she is. She’s been with me for almost two weeks.
  • Handling - When cleaning her cage or fix something like every other day. Also when I see she is at the front or is struggling. I also took her out yesterday because I didn’t want her to keep rubbing her eyes and I was scared she’d keep doing it. I gave her a branch and some vines as well as stuffed animals to climb on and the sun was shining. I fed her and she had her own little jungle Jim in my room. I watched her pretty much the whole time to make sure she wasn’t rubbing. She took a liking to my stuffed animal because she would climb and sit in the sun then she’d walk around and come back. She basked in the sunlight she didn’t look bothered to be out of her cage and when the sun went down it got dark quickly here so it was pretty early but she fell asleep on my stuffed dinosaur. She ended up falling asleep until I woke her up later to put her in her cage to sleep and she went right back to sleep. I know they usually aren’t supposed to sleep on your finger people mistake it for trust which is why I didn’t want to be holding her. If it’s wrong or not okay to do this also please let me know I was just scared she’d keep hurting her eyes.
  • Feeding - I feed her extra small crickets about 8-10 a day or however many she’ll eat. I feed her in the morning 30 minutes after I wake up so 8:30, again at 1:00 and then again at 6:00 and sometimes in between. I usually buy carry outs so they come with a cube of gel it’s like their food and water I’m not exactly sure or I’ll put a potato
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything.
  • Watering - I use The Big Dripper. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes. I do sometimes but usually when I mist she never goes for the droplets and when the the dripper is on she doesn’t always go to it and when she does she always misses the drops until she finally gets some.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? The first few days she had yellow and brown which I learned is because of dehydration. I tried getting her to drink but she still has a bit of yellow sometimes. She has not been tested or not that I know of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size.
  • Lighting - I’m not sure I think the heat/sun lamp is by zoo med. The uvb I’m not exactly sure it was an old lamp I was given. I turn her lights on in the morning when I wake up and off 6:00 earliest and 8:30 latest. If you guys have any good lamps and brand that I should get that aren’t extremely expensive let me know!
  • Temperature - I had moss and dirt but I took it out because ants decided they wanted to make that their home. The temperature in the basking area is between 85-90 and the the range through the cage during the day are between 70-87 and at night 60-73.
  • Humidity - They’re 65 and up. I’m misting the cage and I use a hygrometer but I need to get a new one if you guys have any recommendations for measuring the temp and humidity nothing too expensive because I’m on a budget.
  • Plants - I’m not using any real plants I want to but I’m not sure where and what kid to get so any recommendations there too.
  • Placement - It’s located near my desk in my room. It’s not near but not far from an air vent, no fans and I do have a backyard door and there is a street but there isn’t usually any noise sometimes my neighbors dog barks but it’s muzzled by my door. It’s probably 2 or 3 feet off the floor I’m not exactly sure.

Current Problem - Her eyes she keep rubbing them on the tree branch or anything she found. At first I thought it was one eye but then it would go away and it’d me the other but now it’s both and sometimes she even closes her eyes but opens then again. I’m guessing she’s getting an infection or something and I know it bothers her because she’s rubbing them and trying to itch or something. She also hasn’t been very active but I think it’s just her right now she’s laying on a branch looking at me I think she just got some water which is good! I know it’s not anything I did I’m pretty sure it was something the store did cause I went back and there was a poor chameleon there who’s both eyes were malnourished. I wanted to get her at a petco for these reasons cause I knew they didn’t know much about animals or cared for them right so I wanted to try and give her the best home. I couldn’t afford a vet but I called the store where I bought her and apparently it’s free so I’m gonna take her and see. Any recommendations to try and stop it or what could be wrong PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! Also when I got her she didn’t look super healthy I have fed her and tried to fatten her up a bit not sure how old she is so that would also be great to know. I know she is a female I checked her back legs to find out I didn’t want a male but it’s alright.
sorry it took me forever to post it!

Hi and welcome! ? Sweet little cham that you have. If you post a clear pic of the back feet, we can help you determine if a boy or girl. While you give a fair amount of information and seem interested in making sure you’re doing everything correctly, I’d like it if you could answer the following (copy & paste) and have all of your husbandry reviewed. That way we can better see what you are doing and any changes that you need to make in order to give your little sweetie the best and longest life.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
  • Supplements - I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything.
  • Fecal Description -The first few days she had yellow and brown which I learned is because of dehydration. I tried getting her to drink but she still has a bit of yellow sometimes. She has not been tested or not that I know of.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size.

Attachments

• 744B3986-2749-4F44-964E-A3E8CE5F45F4.jpeg
    744B3986-2749-4F44-964E-A3E8CE5F45F4.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 234445CE-4A83-4DE0-BA5F-2781DD4663BF.jpeg
    234445CE-4A83-4DE0-BA5F-2781DD4663BF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 86
  • F83A03F9-1C2F-460D-B889-51D601EDB197.jpeg
    F83A03F9-1C2F-460D-B889-51D601EDB197.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
  • C1F84D23-1741-4AF6-9BA6-27C50A7358DC.jpeg
    C1F84D23-1741-4AF6-9BA6-27C50A7358DC.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 83
  • F61EBC4D-3589-40EE-9AFE-763771D8EFCE.jpeg
    F61EBC4D-3589-40EE-9AFE-763771D8EFCE.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 2C4E95BD-4696-4CEF-8DC4-720F166CC863.jpeg
    2C4E95BD-4696-4CEF-8DC4-720F166CC863.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 1033A48D-3912-40AF-A0C0-E5E9F59B4C52.jpeg
    1033A48D-3912-40AF-A0C0-E5E9F59B4C52.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 91
  • D34AE03E-D6BF-4F79-ADD8-F0CDE7A8C3AB.jpeg
    D34AE03E-D6BF-4F79-ADD8-F0CDE7A8C3AB.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • CD57E10C-F5D4-497C-A82A-34E5B10564B7.jpeg
    CD57E10C-F5D4-497C-A82A-34E5B10564B7.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 82
  • A36277AD-E60B-4995-9DB0-1DBABAEA1D86.jpeg
    A36277AD-E60B-4995-9DB0-1DBABAEA1D86.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 92
These are some pictures I couldn’t add any in my reply to you. So when you see that, these are the pictures I have and maybe I can get some more if needed. But her eyes do look a little in and I’m worried they buldge out but go back in, I heard they do that to clean their eyes but I don’t know this is more consistent so I think it may be an infection although I hope not :(

Attachments

• BCF8CBE8-8427-477F-832B-B179A72506F5.jpeg
    BCF8CBE8-8427-477F-832B-B179A72506F5.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 00036E76-C751-4C9A-A98A-559018FFAC90.jpeg
    00036E76-C751-4C9A-A98A-559018FFAC90.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 56036E45-7D2C-46E5-844A-E76B292ECF1B.jpeg
    56036E45-7D2C-46E5-844A-E76B292ECF1B.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 80
  • A3422414-9759-4BB9-B557-63A469FDB0B6.jpeg
    A3422414-9759-4BB9-B557-63A469FDB0B6.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 80
  • B0CFBABB-7294-4F36-BBC0-6F16945D58F6.jpeg
    B0CFBABB-7294-4F36-BBC0-6F16945D58F6.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 90
These are some pictures I couldn’t add any in my reply to you. So when you see that, these are the pictures I have and maybe I can get some more if needed. But her eyes do look a little in and I’m worried they buldge out but go back in, I heard they do that to clean their eyes but I don’t know this is more consistent so I think it may be an infection although I hope not :(
Can you post pics of the entire cage lights down for me. I want to see everything specifically what lighting your using.

She is trying to clean her eyes in this pic... This is why they look puffed out. Normally they will do this when the cage is being misted.

@cruz.m I am going to go through everything in your form. But I do need pics of the entire cage lighting down and please take a picture of your supplements so I know exactly what your using.

Chameleon Info:

• Handling - When cleaning her cage or fix something like every other day. Also when I see she is at the front or is struggling. I also took her out yesterday because I didn’t want her to keep rubbing her eyes and I was scared she’d keep doing it. I gave her a branch and some vines as well as stuffed animals to climb on and the sun was shining. I fed her and she had her own little jungle Jim in my room. I watched her pretty much the whole time to make sure she wasn’t rubbing. She took a liking to my stuffed animal because she would climb and sit in the sun then she’d walk around and come back. She basked in the sunlight she didn’t look bothered to be out of her cage and when the sun went down it got dark quickly here so it was pretty early but she fell asleep on my stuffed dinosaur. She ended up falling asleep until I woke her up later to put her in her cage to sleep and she went right back to sleep. I know they usually aren’t supposed to sleep on your finger people mistake it for trust which is why I didn’t want to be holding her. If it’s wrong or not okay to do this also please let me know I was just scared she’d keep hurting her eyes. So we need to figure out why she is rubbing so much... It should not hurt her unless she rubs on a fake vine that has the coating coming off..
  • Feeding - I feed her extra small crickets about 8-10 a day or however many she’ll eat. I feed her in the morning 30 minutes after I wake up so 8:30, again at 1:00 and then again at 6:00 and sometimes in between. I usually buy carry outs so they come with a cube of gel it’s like their food and water I’m not exactly sure or I’ll put a potato Drop the 6pm feeding... How are you giving her the feeders? In a cup or feeder run or are you turning them loose in the cage?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything. You want to drop the repti calcium with D3 and Buy reptivite with D3. It looks like this... https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptivite-reptile-vitamins
  • You would continue to use the calcium without D3 at all feedings but 2 times a month every other week at one feeding you would use the reptivite with D3. This is your multivitamin and D3.
  • Watering - I use The Big Dripper. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes. I do sometimes but usually when I mist she never goes for the droplets and when the the dripper is on she doesn’t always go to it and when she does she always misses the drops until she finally gets some. Make sure your leaving the dripper on for an hour at a time on a slow drip. It takes them a bit to go drink... So if your only doing it for short periods it may not be long enough to trigger a drinking response. Mist morning and night when the cage is not so warm from having lights on.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size. do you mean 30 inches? was it the chameleon kit?
  • Lighting - I’m not sure I think the heat/sun lamp is by zoo med. The uvb I’m not exactly sure it was an old lamp I was given. I turn her lights on in the morning when I wake up and off 6:00 earliest and 8:30 latest. If you guys have any good lamps and brand that I should get that aren’t extremely expensive let me know! I really need to know what this is that your using... Concerned that the UVB is not correct. Take pics of what your using and how you have it set up on your enclosure. You want a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb.... You want something like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
  • Temperature - I had moss and dirt but I took it out because ants decided they wanted to make that their home. The temperature in the basking area is between 85-90 and the the range through the cage during the day are between 70-87 and at night 60-73. Way too hot for basking.... What type of heat bulb are you using? You want to use a 60 watt regular incandescent household bulb. Temp at basking should be no hotter then 79-80 for her.
  • Humidity - They’re 65 and up. I’m misting the cage and I use a hygrometer but I need to get a new one if you guys have any recommendations for measuring the temp and humidity nothing too expensive because I’m on a budget. We want humidity to be 30-50% max in the daytime. Can be up to 100% at night. Do you have a cell phone that you can have apps on? If so I recommend this one for humidity and ambient temp. Just do not put it in the cage where you will spray it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Plants - I’m not using any real plants I want to but I’m not sure where and what kid to get so any recommendations there too. Here you go... The Veiled tested ones... I would get a nice full umbrella plant to fill out the enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Does she ever do a full tail curl? Where it is tight and pulled in or does she leave it pretty loose like in the pics?

@cruz.m I am going to go through everything in your form. But I do need pics of the entire cage lighting down and please take a picture of your supplements so I know exactly what your using.

Chameleon Info:

• Handling - When cleaning her cage or fix something like every other day. Also when I see she is at the front or is struggling. I also took her out yesterday because I didn’t want her to keep rubbing her eyes and I was scared she’d keep doing it. I gave her a branch and some vines as well as stuffed animals to climb on and the sun was shining. I fed her and she had her own little jungle Jim in my room. I watched her pretty much the whole time to make sure she wasn’t rubbing. She took a liking to my stuffed animal because she would climb and sit in the sun then she’d walk around and come back. She basked in the sunlight she didn’t look bothered to be out of her cage and when the sun went down it got dark quickly here so it was pretty early but she fell asleep on my stuffed dinosaur. She ended up falling asleep until I woke her up later to put her in her cage to sleep and she went right back to sleep. I know they usually aren’t supposed to sleep on your finger people mistake it for trust which is why I didn’t want to be holding her. If it’s wrong or not okay to do this also please let me know I was just scared she’d keep hurting her eyes. So we need to figure out why she is rubbing so much... It should not hurt her unless she rubs on a fake vine that has the coating coming off..
  • Feeding - I feed her extra small crickets about 8-10 a day or however many she’ll eat. I feed her in the morning 30 minutes after I wake up so 8:30, again at 1:00 and then again at 6:00 and sometimes in between. I usually buy carry outs so they come with a cube of gel it’s like their food and water I’m not exactly sure or I’ll put a potato Drop the 6pm feeding... How are you giving her the feeders? In a cup or feeder run or are you turning them loose in the cage?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repti Calium with d3 by zoo med 1 day of the week, and Flucker’s Calcium without d3 6 days of the week. I’ve only had her for two weeks so I’m not sure what she had before or anything. You want to drop the repti calcium with D3 and Buy reptivite with D3. It looks like this... https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptivite-reptile-vitamins
  • You would continue to use the calcium without D3 at all feedings but 2 times a month every other week at one feeding you would use the reptivite with D3. This is your multivitamin and D3.
  • Watering - I use The Big Dripper. I mist 3 times a day for 2 minutes. I do sometimes but usually when I mist she never goes for the droplets and when the the dripper is on she doesn’t always go to it and when she does she always misses the drops until she finally gets some. Make sure your leaving the dripper on for an hour at a time on a slow drip. It takes them a bit to go drink... So if your only doing it for short periods it may not be long enough to trigger a drinking response. Mist morning and night when the cage is not so warm from having lights on.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It’s a screen cage, and a 16x16x20 I do plan on getting a bigger one once she’s older but she’s really small right now so I thought this one was a good size. do you mean 30 inches? was it the chameleon kit?
  • Lighting - I’m not sure I think the heat/sun lamp is by zoo med. The uvb I’m not exactly sure it was an old lamp I was given. I turn her lights on in the morning when I wake up and off 6:00 earliest and 8:30 latest. If you guys have any good lamps and brand that I should get that aren’t extremely expensive let me know! I really need to know what this is that your using... Concerned that the UVB is not correct. Take pics of what your using and how you have it set up on your enclosure. You want a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb.... You want something like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
  • Temperature - I had moss and dirt but I took it out because ants decided they wanted to make that their home. The temperature in the basking area is between 85-90 and the the range through the cage during the day are between 70-87 and at night 60-73. Way too hot for basking.... What type of heat bulb are you using? You want to use a 60 watt regular incandescent household bulb. Temp at basking should be no hotter then 79-80 for her.
  • Humidity - They’re 65 and up. I’m misting the cage and I use a hygrometer but I need to get a new one if you guys have any recommendations for measuring the temp and humidity nothing too expensive because I’m on a budget. We want humidity to be 30-50% max in the daytime. Can be up to 100% at night. Do you have a cell phone that you can have apps on? If so I recommend this one for humidity and ambient temp. Just do not put it in the cage where you will spray it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Plants - I’m not using any real plants I want to but I’m not sure where and what kid to get so any recommendations there too. Here you go... The Veiled tested ones... I would get a nice full umbrella plant to fill out the enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Does she ever do a full tail curl? Where it is tight and pulled in or does she leave it pretty loose like in the pics?
I’ll reply in another thing because it won’t let me here

Yeah I’m cup feeding I used to let them loose but they would get lost in her cage or she would never find them and she’s gotten used to the cup now so she knows where to go each time. Yes I will buy that today! I do leave it on for like 1-3 hours I have a bowl to catch the water so if it fills up before I’ll just dump it and put it back. No I put the correct measurements but she’s just a baby and the cage is a good size since she’s really small but I do plan on probably making one in like 2-4 months once she’s bigger cause I know she’ll need more space. I use a 5.0 uvb bulb I’ll check the percent it’s just I lost the box where the bulb was in so I need to find it. Off topic but she’s going to eat right NOW, I heard some chameleons don’t like to eat when their owners are their so everyone she eats when I’m here I get excited because it’s cool to watch it’s just you can look at her when she’s looking at the food or she’ll leave so I just side eye her ?. I’m using a 75 watt basking bulb but yes the temperatures were wrong sorry about that my humidity gauge and thermometer where on the wrong setting and they weren’t cooperating the basking temps are between 78-83 and the temperature around the cage is between 67-76 sometimes it goes higher. The humidity is at 48-55 when I mist 54-68. I keep hearing different things about misting at night since she sleeps with no lights won’t it be cold? I never must after 7:00 especially since it’s getting colder here and darker fast. (I live in Cali) I put in a golden pathos or devils ivy whatever the name is. I’m planing on getting more within the next week but yes I saw that chart and there was only golden pothos at the plant/flower store I went to. When she is just laying on a branch she’ll usually have here tail curled yes or wrapped around the tree branch but she mostly has it curled when she’s either laying down resting or sleeping but never when she walks.

Yeah I’m cup feeding I used to let them loose but they would get lost in her cage or she would never find them and she’s gotten used to the cup now so she knows where to go each time. Yes I will buy that today! I do leave it on for like 1-3 hours I have a bowl to catch the water so if it fills up before I’ll just dump it and put it back. No I put the correct measurements but she’s just a baby and the cage is a good size since she’s really small but I do plan on probably making one in like 2-4 months once she’s bigger cause I know she’ll need more space. I use a 5.0 uvb bulb I’ll check the percent it’s just I lost the box where the bulb was in so I need to find it. Off topic but she’s going to eat right NOW, I heard some chameleons don’t like to eat when their owners are their so everyone she eats when I’m here I get excited because it’s cool to watch it’s just you can look at her when she’s looking at the food or she’ll leave so I just side eye her ?. I’m using a 75 watt basking bulb but yes the temperatures were wrong sorry about that my humidity gauge and thermometer where on the wrong setting and they weren’t cooperating the basking temps are between 78-83 and the temperature around the cage is between 67-76 sometimes it goes higher. The humidity is at 48-55 when I mist 54-68. I keep hearing different things about misting at night since she sleeps with no lights won’t it be cold? I never must after 7:00 especially since it’s getting colder here and darker fast. (I live in Cali) I put in a golden pathos or devils ivy whatever the name is. I’m planing on getting more within the next week but yes I saw that chart and there was only golden pothos at the plant/flower store I went to. When she is just laying on a branch she’ll usually have here tail curled yes or wrapped around the tree branch but she mostly has it curled when she’s either laying down resting or sleeping but never when she walks.
If your UVB bulb is a screw in bulb it is the incorrect UVB type.

Can you take pics of your entire cage for me lights down?

The cage size will not work longer then maybe another month. Your not able to provide gradients with this size cage.

I forgot to mention that the basking bulb is not directly on top of the cage it’s pretty high up above the cage so it’s not usually super hot in the cage. It gets really hot if I put it directly on top and I knew that wouldn’t be good for her.

If your UVB bulb is a screw in bulb it is the incorrect UVB type.

Can you take pics of your entire cage for me lights down?

The cage size will not work longer then maybe another month. Your not able to provide gradients with this size cage.
Yeah I keep getting different answers but I don’t have the money to buy a new one right now but I will in like a month or so. Do you think there’s a way a can use this one and still provide good uvb because I can’t switch it out right now? Also, yeah I figured I was just gonna go along with her growth and see when she’s getting bigger and then I’d make her a new cage accordingly cause I know they grow fast. But the one she’s in now is big for her size or not big but she looks small in it.

Back
Top Bottom