Is it really that bad to buy a cham from a petstore?

KRuehle

I visited my local Petco earlier today to see what kind of feeders they have, and noticed that the chameleons they had for sale actually looked healthy and happy. Is it possible that I could get a good chameleon from a petstore like Petco? I know there's a huge stigma around it. Thoughts?

It really depends on the store and your feelings about such things. I ended up rescuing a chameleon from Petco that they weren't equipped to take care of because it was a jackson chameleon and they didn't know how to supplement her. Now she's got MBD. I educated them about the new veileds they were getting in the next week and they seemed to take it to heart. But I know the store I rescued Hope from was not the best Petco around. There are some really good stores, and then some stores that are just horrible. It really depends on the managers and the way they train their staff. I don't like the company as a whole however.

The issue is how they care for it 9 times out of 10. Many have a huge issue with this and believe that a small imprint of those that want to "boycott" chain store is going to make a difference. Truth is, its not going to do a single thing. Just like shopping for any chameleon or animal from a breeder, store or middle man. Check for the tale tell signs of good health. If you question it, dont buy it. If it looks healthy and you like the price...Buy it :)

The issue is how they care for it 9 times out of 10. Many have a huge issue with this and believe that a small imprint of those that want to "boycott" chain store is going to make a difference. Truth is, its not going to do a single thing. Just like shopping for any chameleon or animal from a breeder, store or middle man. Check for the tale tell signs of good health. If you question it, dont buy it. If it looks healthy and you like the price...Buy it :)
that's what I did and my guy is heathy.:);)

So you had a good experience buying from a petstore?
As others have said, it really depends on the particular pet store. If you find the one you are going to is ignorant about the proper care and housing for their exotic pets, you should NOT support them by buying anything from them. And I mean ANYTHING...no food, no supplies, no animals regardless what they are. And, I usually tell them why I am boycotting their store, either by writing a letter or telling them in person. The big corporate stores really have no interest in the wellbeing of the animals they sell. They are interested in making a $$. This attitude just perpetuates the idea that our beloved chams are just another disposable pet. It also supports the pet supply industry that does not provide the correct foods, lighting, supplements, and housing the animals need to thrive. Do you want to support a big business or would you rather support a devoted breeder who really cares about his/her animals and their futures? I know you want that cham you've seen, but think farther ahead...by buying it you are telling the store you agree with their policies, which may include neglect, carelessness, and ignorance.

I seen my petco had some and they seemed to take good care of them. They were in a bigger cage with plenty of cover, had a dripper, and had crickets in a cup dusted with calcium. The cage was also clean. The chams showed no signs of trouble and were all nice bright colors. It really depends on the store and the people in charge of the animals.

I visited my local Petco earlier today to see what kind of feeders they have, and noticed that the chameleons they had for sale actually looked healthy and happy. Is it possible that I could get a good chameleon from a petstore like Petco? I know there's a huge stigma around it. Thoughts?
I say dont get it from there the best place to check is craigslist some time there is really good deal on there i got a male panther chameleon for only $80 you might be lucky and find a breed near you like i did trust me

I purchased mine from a pet store as well. I'm in and out of this store often, as I also have other animals. The staff seemed friendly, but not very educated on the little guy. I did exactly as someone mentioned here and played dumb to see what they would tell me. Some info was correct and some was definitely not correct. They told me to feed the little guy 2 crickets every other day..... HE WOULD'VE STARVED TO DEATH! I kinda looked at it as a "rescue" lol!

I bought my girl Pascal from a Petco. She was super young, so therefore new to the environment she was placed in. I took her to the vet after getting her and he said that she was healthy and doing good. I've had her for seven months now and she hasn't had any problems with her health. So it all just depends.

I say dont get it from there the best place to check is craigslist some time there is really good deal on there i got a male panther chameleon for only $80 you might be lucky and find a breed near you like i did trust me
Well, you may get lucky off craigslist, but personally I would want some way to verify that the seller really has what they claim, and would want to see photos of the cham for sale. A good price isn't the only thing to consider. You could run in to someone who had neglected the cham after it lost its appeal, and end up buying a sick or old animal. Responsible breeders put a bit more effort into their animals; providing good husbandry information and support after the sale.

As for evaluating a pet shop, I do what others do...play dumb and ask all sorts of questions about care (that I already know the answers to). Then I can get a good idea how much they know or care about their livestock.

As for evaluating a pet shop, I do what others do...play dumb and ask all sorts of questions about care (that I already know the answers to). Then I can get a good idea how much they know or care about their livestock.

This works.

As a side note for things like Craig's list or the recycler, it's also a common place to offload stolen animals. Use your head when making purchases. Do they have the habitat to keep it in or is it kept in a shoebox? Do they know about the animal in detail or barely anything at all about it? This is much more common with parrots, at least back in the 90's and early 2000's, but there have been keepers here who have had their collections stolen.

As others have said, it really depends on the particular pet store. If you find the one you are going to is ignorant about the proper care and housing for their exotic pets, you should NOT support them by buying anything from them. And I mean ANYTHING...no food, no supplies, no animals regardless what they are. And, I usually tell them why I am boycotting their store, either by writing a letter or telling them in person. The big corporate stores really have no interest in the wellbeing of the animals they sell. They are interested in making a $$. This attitude just perpetuates the idea that our beloved chams are just another disposable pet. It also supports the pet supply industry that does not provide the correct foods, lighting, supplements, and housing the animals need to thrive. Do you want to support a big business or would you rather support a devoted breeder who really cares about his/her animals and their futures? I know you want that cham you've seen, but think farther ahead...by buying it you are telling the store you agree with their policies, which may include neglect, carelessness, and ignorance.

Alrighty, everybody hold their breath for the old grumpy hermit in his cave....

I'll let the sick cham in a petco die before I buy it to "save" it. Like Carlton said, purchasing that animal will only result in them buying another and hoping some other fool comes around to buy that one too.

If they lose money on a species, the stores stop carrying it. Underline that sentence and put it in your note books kids. Stop buying the animal to save it. Instead.................. call animal control or e-mail a picture of the poor critter. Nothing, just nothing, gets the attention of corporate like the possibility of negative publicity and revenue loss like animal control on their ass.

I honestly roll my eyes whenever I see anybody on these forums post about how much a pet store sucks and they had to buy an animal to save it or write corporate. All of your methods are useless.

You want to make them change? Make them lose money. The only war the corporate world fears is the one that hurts their revenues, they always expect to bounce back from negative publicity, from customer turn over, or from losing the occasional animal. But when they see a hard push that can close a store, or fine them, that they respect.

Back
Top Bottom