Is it possible to overfeed my young female veiled chameleon?

Oski

Hi all, i have a young female veiled chameleon, i think she is about 3 months old ish?

I have noticed that she eats a lot, and compared to my male who is about 7-8 weeks old, and quite a bit bigger than him,

Also i have noticed that she seems to be bulking up quite a bit recently looking abit chubby,

Is it possible that they can eat too much at this age?

i just give her as many crickets/locusts as she wants then put a few in free range everyday, but she seems to love locusts a lot.

Also i notice that my male who has settled down a bit now, but he seems a lot more active than my female like walks faster climbs upside down on the mesh roof etc. is that because he is younger or male?

Or are some chameleons more active than others my female moves around quite slow to be honest, But seems healthy i see her drinking, her poops look good and her other bit in the poop is always really white, and temps etc seem fine,

Thanks Oski

Are you positive she is three months? Females can start developing eggs at five months and over feeding will make them lay huge clutches that eventually kill them.

Are you positive she is three months? Females can start developing eggs at five months and over feeding will make them lay huge clutches that eventually kill them.

Hi Pshh, yeah she is around that, i can get some pics she has shed once since i have owned her and was told she was 2 months ish, that was from a petstore, and my male came from a private sale.

And he was definately 7-10 weeks old. but the female is a bit bigger but not loads loads, i will get some pics up.

Be very careful about feeding. Only feed 8 or so appropriately sized crickets or the equivalent of each day. At five months you need to cut back food to 5-7 crickets or equivalent of three days a week. (ex:mon-wed-fri)

Be very careful about feeding. Only feed 8 or so appropriately sized crickets or the equivalent of each day. At five months you need to cut back food to 5-7 crickets or equivalent of three days a week. (ex:mon-wed-fri)

Ok thanks i think i might be over doing it for heri think , as she seems very greedy, where as the male will stop then i just take out what he does not finish, where as she will eat most things her cage,

when they are that age I feed them as much as they can eat in about 5 minutes, 2-3 times a day. They do eat a lot when small and growing. Reduce what you feed as they approach a year old.

Hi, excluding the tail.

Female is 3 inches from nose to vent.
Mlae is 2 inches nose to vent

Female.
DSCF0721.jpg

Male.
DSCF0715.jpg

Female.
DSCF0697.jpg

Male.
DSCF0700.jpg

Does this sound about right for age,?

pictures look better if clicked on,

I feed my babies whatever they want 2xday until about 3 months, then cut back to what they will eat 1xday until 6 months then 3-5 crickets 6 days a week. Works for me. My veiled ladies lay between 38-48 eggs when they are gravid.

Back
Top Bottom