is it normal?

ruffcuts

My young mean panther lunges at me and has even jumped out at me, scared me half to death when I finally caught him he was constantly biting me till I could safely return him to his terrarium.:confused:

You just have a pissy one. How old is he? Some chams go through a "terrible teen" phase at about 6 months. He may mellow out again once his hormones settle down as he ages.

He's 4 months old...makes me sad my female loves to be handled rub her head she just loves it...any suggestions to tame him?

you may have one that is just going to be mean. Try to hand feed him and try letting him come out his own way by maybe putting a tall potted plant outside his cage door. Let him crawl on that and may be try and approach him that way. He may not like being backed up in his cage.

My panther got all bitey for some reason around 4ish months. He would puff up and turn black and make it clear he didn't want anything to do with my hand. I kept my distance while still trying to hand feed him, and eventually one day I slowly approached him from underneath, rubbed his foot a little, slowly scooted my hand underneath him and he allowed me to pick him up. No biting and no black, he is much more mellow for now (he's 5ish months old currently)

patience and non-threatening movements ;)

good luck! :)

I always take an "I'm the boss" attitude and am just really assertive when I want to handle my chams. I think if you show fear, or hesitate if your cham is reacting with anger then they know they've won. I persevere, take a few nips when they are really cranky but for the most part my chams have learned I'm a friend, not a foe.

Back
Top Bottom