Advice for a cranky boi

davisc12

I brought my panther home on Saturday and i was told hes quite an asshole so between the new move and his personality im not expecting to get a to a point he wants to climb on me anytime soon, or at all and im ok with that. I do however want to be able to reach into his enclosure to do maintenance or clean without him hissing, lunging, and biting. I have a big elbow length rubber glove i keep close by his enclosure and even put it inside for a short period of time trying to get him used to it. Any tips on gaining trust other then lots of time, of course?

Put a chair in the same room as his enclosure. Not too close, but so he can see you. Just sit with him for a while each day so he can learn you are not a threat. Gradually you can move the chair closer over time.

I have a veiled and they are a bit feistier from what I’ve read. Bugs were a big motivator for him. I cup feed and hold the cup in my hand while he eats. I think I got lucky with my guy though. He still puffs up sometimes and he won’t come out on his own, but he doesn’t hiss or lunge often at all. In general, chameleons just are not friendly animals.

It can take a couple weeks for them to get used to a new environment so he’s probably still a bit worked up from moving if you just brought him home Saturday.

Put a chair in the same room as his enclosure. Not too close, but so he can see you. Just sit with him for a while each day so he can learn you are not a threat. Gradually you can move the chair closer over time.

I have a veiled and they are a bit feistier from what I’ve read. Bugs were a big motivator for him. I cup feed and hold the cup in my hand while he eats. I think I got lucky with my guy though. He still puffs up sometimes and he won’t come out on his own, but he doesn’t hiss or lunge often at all. In general, chameleons just are not friendly animals.

It can take a couple weeks for them to get used to a new environment so he’s probably still a bit worked up from moving if you just brought him home Saturday.
When you first got yours was he real aggressive too? This guy lunges and bites. Like i said, im ok with not being able to hold him i just want to be able to clean the enclosure easily and ideally be able to relocate him for bigger maintenance but thats a long shot. His enclosure is close by my desk so i have slent quite a bit of time by him he can see me and he seems totally fine with me close by, but that changes realy quick when that door opens lol.

Food is always a great motivator and reinforcer. I try to hand feed my chameleons whenever I have a feeder that I don’t mind touching (usually just silkworms). Having your chameleon’s enclosure up higher so that they can actually be above you helps them feel secure, as does having lots of plants and branches to hide in and travel on. Try not to make or keep prolonged eye contact and don’t wear red. I try to take advantage of every opportunity that arises that I can briefly handle each cham. I’m gentle and it’s usually just for a few seconds at a time. This is a terrific blog that should help. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Food is always a great motivator and reinforcer. I try to hand feed my chameleons whenever I have a feeder that I don’t mind touching (usually just silkworms). Having your chameleon’s enclosure up higher so that they can actually be above you helps them feel secure, as does having lots of plants and branches to hide in and travel on. Try not to make or keep prolonged eye contact and don’t wear red. I try to take advantage of every opportunity that arises that I can briefly handle each cham. I’m gentle and it’s usually just for a few seconds at a time. This is a terrific blog that should help. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
Thank you thats a great write up and almost exactly describes my situation. My big worry though, is that he is already a year and a half old and maybe too late. Hopefully im wrong but i am going to try this technique after a couple weeks of letting him settle in because right now he is hissing and puffs up the second i open the door and will lunge and bite if i get too close. And shows very little interest in food right now. He has only eaten one super worm since Saturday.

Have you actually been bitten? In my experience it’s really not that bad. The arm length rubber glove may be a little overkill and depending on the color of the glove it may be aggravating the situation. Just cup feed every feeding possible. Spend time in the room with him, but not looking at him. He will recognize you’re not there for him and with regular cup feedings he will understand you’re not a threat. I think you can back his opinion of you from negative to a neutral. It’s never too late

When you first got yours was he real aggressive too? This guy lunges and bites. Like i said, im ok with not being able to hold him i just want to be able to clean the enclosure easily and ideally be able to relocate him for bigger maintenance but thats a long shot. His enclosure is close by my desk so i have slent quite a bit of time by him he can see me and he seems totally fine with me close by, but that changes realy quick when that door opens lol.
He would lunge and hiss. Never actually bit me, but would definitely let me know he was about to.

Have you actually been bitten? In my experience it’s really not that bad. The arm length rubber glove may be a little overkill and depending on the color of the glove it may be aggravating the situation. Just cup feed every feeding possible. Spend time in the room with him, but not looking at him. He will recognize you’re not there for him and with regular cup feedings he will understand you’re not a threat. I think you can back his opinion of you from negative to a neutral. It’s never too l

Have you actually been bitten? In my experience it’s really not that bad. The arm length rubber glove may be a little overkill and depending on the color of the glove it may be aggravating the situation. Just cup feed every feeding possible. Spend time in the room with him, but not looking at him. He will recognize you’re not there for him and with regular cup feedings he will understand you’re not a threat. I think you can back his opinion of you from negative to a neutral. It’s never too late
When i brought him home from the expo he was verry upset and understandably so, he was at an expxo in a 12 inch cube and then stuffed into a paper bag for a 20 minute car ride home. And 20 minutes of trying to get him on a stick is when i decided to put the glove on and speed things up a bit. He got a good bite on my thumb and i am glad i had that on because it left a pretty good mark even with it. Hes still not showing much interest in food though i have seen him eat one super worm but hasnt touched any of the crickets that are in there so it looks like ill be cricket hunting tonight unless its ok to leave them in there? Ik most cases like with our beardie it is not advised because they may bite him but they seem to be hanging out on the bottom while he is up top.

When i brought him home from the expo he was verry upset and understandably so, he was at an expxo in a 12 inch cube and then stuffed into a paper bag for a 20 minute car ride home. And 20 minutes of trying to get him on a stick is when i decided to put the glove on and speed things up a bit. He got a good bite on my thumb and i am glad i had that on because it left a pretty good mark even with it. Hes still not showing much interest in food though i have seen him eat one super worm but hasnt touched any of the crickets that are in there so it looks like ill be cricket hunting tonight unless its ok to leave them in there? Ik most cases like with our beardie it is not advised because they may bite him but they seem to be hanging out on the bottom while he is up top.
I would remove all uneaten bugs by the end of the day. Especially crickets. They can also bite your cham. You’ll also want to remove ones that have gone down to the bottom of the enclosure since his poop falls to the bottom.

Poor baby that sounds really stressful for him. How long have you had him again?

I would remove all uneaten bugs by the end of the day. Especially crickets. They can also bite your cham. You’ll also want to remove ones that have gone down to the bottom of the enclosure since his poop falls to the bottom.
Ive only had him since Saturday so im not concerned about him not eating much yet. And ok thank you, I was able manage getting out 99% of the crickets i did hear a chirp from his cage but cant seem to see the bugger even after misting and hoping it would go to the bottom.

Ive only had him since Saturday so im not concerned about him not eating much yet. And ok thank you, I was able manage getting out 99% of the crickets i did hear a chirp from his cage but cant seem to see the bugger even after misting and hoping it would go to the bottom.
Ok great! Ya sometimes they do that...little stinkers.

Back
Top Bottom